Tips on recording VCV?

yelo

Momo's Minion
I have a lot of trouble recording VCV voicebanks because of three main reasons:
- Short breath
- Saliva ends up on my throat , making my voice sound weird, so i cough, and makes it worse, and at the end it sounds raspy
- It gets uncomfortable when i'm recording so i try to lower my voice a little, making it even harder and the samples sound inconsistent
That constantly happens even after i practice recording it before the actual thing

This is really messing me up and im not very happy with my VCV voicebanks because of this. And you know, probably if i knew how to sing properly, i wouldn't have as much problems
Im way more used to making CVVC as they don't take as much air to record (it varies on reclist)

I really dont know what to do and how to not make my utau sound like he's choking. :^)

cloudyyskie

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
If you're using OREMO there's a feature where you can see how on pitch you are :smile:!! Just click Show and then Show F0 at the top. After recording, it'll show what pitch you recorded that sample in, and your target pitch will be shown as a red line. Make sure that "Show Target Tone" is on in the advanced settings first.

Try and record in a pitch that comes naturally to you, don't push it! Just feel around and find the right pitch :smile:
It may also help to keep a glass of water nearby and to take deep breaths before recording and go slow.

Reactions: yelo

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I highly recommend warming up your vocals before recording. Here's a short warmup exercise you can use.

You can also search youtube for other vocal exercises to improve your singing skills.

You may also want to try the Insanity Basics Short reclist, which has shorter lines.

yelo

Momo's Minion
If you're using OREMO there's a feature where you can see how on pitch you are :smile:!! Just click Show and then Show F0 at the top. After recording, it'll show what pitch you recorded that sample in, and your target pitch will be shown as a red line. Make sure that "Show Target Tone" is on in the advanced settings first.

Try and record in a pitch that comes naturally to you, don't push it! Just feel around and find the right pitch :smile:
It may also help to keep a glass of water nearby and to take deep breaths before recording and go slow.
Unfortunately using OREMO is not an option for me, because i use my phone to record the samples, and i've tried WOMic so i could use the phone as an USB microphone, but it sounds weird for some reason :bigtears:

cloudyyskie

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Ah, may I ask why you can't download oremo..?
Also, most of the same things apply, but you can use something like garageband or an online piano to play the pitch you're recording in and just play it by ear.

Thehyami

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Drink water before recording, and don't record on one go then. I recorded my voicebank in 2 or 3 days, and that's okay too. Sing on your range, don't go too low or too high, it'll strain your voice even more. Aim for your talking voice.

Find a place where you can record without a feeling that you will disturb other people. I feel like you don't have to be really loud to produce good singing voice. I asked a singer to train me once, she often said to open my mouth wider and to sing from the stomach. Remember, wider mouth doesn't equal louder voice.

And lastly, I believe a huge part of making it sounds good is on the OTO, Wrong overlap and preutterance placement will make your voicebank sounds choppy.

yelo

Momo's Minion
Ah, may I ask why you can't download oremo..?
Also, most of the same things apply, but you can use something like garageband or an online piano to play the pitch you're recording in and just play it by ear.
I do have OREMO, but the problem is the program i used to make the phone work as a microphone. OREMO works completely fine for me, but not the microphone app. I've tried to use other programs for that but they don't work well

(but thank you for the tips! i didn't think about the online piano thingy before)

Reactions: cloudyyskie

cloudyyskie

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I do have OREMO, but the problem is the program i used to make the phone work as a microphone. OREMO works completely fine for me, but not the microphone app. I've tried to use other programs for that but they don't work well

(but thank you for the tips! i didn't think about the online piano thingy before)
Ah okay, I understand now.
(yep! it's what i use all of the time to make sure i stay on pitch, i really only found out about the F0 thing a couple of days ago and have actually yet to try it.)