Should I sing or speak my voicebanks?

MintyR

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Hellooo~

I don't know if this is where I should post but..
I wanted to know if I should sing or speak my voicebanks and which one sound better/more natural (?) I would think that singing it would make it sound more natural but I'm not sure. Any thoughts on this (?)

Reactions: keopi

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Sing it.

Unless you specifically want the voicebank to be used for speaking and speaking only, you should sing. There are slight accent changes that occur when singing, especially with more complex languages like English. Singing will produce a result that sounds more like... well, singing.

Reactions: keopi and Zoku

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
what he said. If you want your Utau to talk, than talk. If you want your Utau to sing, then sing.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I third the opinion that singing is always the way one should go when it comes to voicebanks. It can make the difference between sounding expressionless or monotone and sounding like one actually is invoking feeling - which is what singing essentially is: feeling being expressed in a melodic way that's arguably more expansive than spoken word (that said, it is possible for singing to sound bored and some voices are harder to pull particular expressions from). Spoken banks are fine for rapping and speak-n-spell/HMM-TTS synthesizing, but UTAU is meant to synthesize sung vocals and utilizes sung vocals better.

Lazarus512

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I agree on the singing part if you want your UTAU to sound good when singing, another thing also I'd like to suggest to stick with one note on your VB or find a base pitch (What specific note you should sing for the voicebank) so that when an UTAU sings a high/low note the frequency will mostly remain the same (I sure hope that made sense)

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I agree with what mostly everyone else has said, sing the samples for singing voicebanks. It's what utau was designed to do.
You technically can speak a singing bank but you will have issues with the accent being heavy and the tone being gross. Singing helps avoid those issues and over-pronunciation.