How much would you pay for an UTAU Official Art

❤️PuririnLuka❤️

Arsloids Guardian
Defender of Defoko
So I was wondering how much would a person would pay to get their UTAU official art done?
Would you pay $150 or maybe $50? Or any other price?
I would be willing to pay a price of $250, It might sound crazy but yet again it does depend on the artist​

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It's basically an art commission? Unless you're saying they're making the design as well? For a regular artist drawing my final design I'm comfortable up to $50 depending on the skill of the artist (cheaper is always okay haha, currently I'm having mine done for $40) because that's a lot of money for a digital piece of art and it's hard for me to justify it. Then again I was raised in a fashion where it's hard for me to spend a large chunk of money at once but I can buy lots of little things that add up to more. XD

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It can depend on how much you feel your bank is worth/how much you are willing to invest in it.
Also as a service you pay for what you get.
Whether the art is $50, $150, or $200 doesn't matter to many as long as the art is professional and high quality.
--That being said, most UTAU users seem to get really shitty, cheap, generic anime art for their banks and the quality [or lack thereof] often shows.
If the quality sucks then the amount of money in question will reflect that.

But it's not too uncommon [still kinda is] for an artist in the UTAU community to offer their service for cheap to those in the community as well...

Professional artists that do work for companies actually get paid a lot more than that in most cases but that's a different situation.

tl;dr I'd be willing to spend money- the actual amount depends on who/what.

melobuniiP

Queen of Bunnies, Thou shalt not forget.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
it all depends on their skills and quality. I wouldnt pay so cheap, NOR SELL CHEAP.
[DOUBLEPOST=1442493207][/DOUBLEPOST]
It can depend on how much you feel your bank is worth/how much you are willing to invest in it.
Also as a service you pay for what you get.
Whether the art is $50, $150, or $200 doesn't matter to many as long as the art is professional and high quality.
--That being said, most UTAU users seem to get really shitty, cheap, generic anime art for their banks and the quality [or lack thereof] often shows.
If the quality sucks then the amount of money in question will reflect that.

But it's not too uncommon [still kinda is] for an artist in the UTAU community to offer their service for cheap to those in the community as well...

Professional artists that do work for companies actually get paid a lot more than that in most cases but that's a different situation.

tl;dr I'd be willing to spend money- the actual amount depends on who/what.
oh my gosh, half the community sells themselves cheap?(undersell themselves) ;o;

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
it all depends on their skills and quality. I wouldnt pay so cheap, NOR SELL CHEAP.
[DOUBLEPOST=1442493207][/DOUBLEPOST]
oh my gosh, half the community sells themselves cheap?(undersell themselves) ;o;
Generally, I'd say yes. But, it also makes sense that many people's prices aren't like those of a professional who works for a company or does it for 'the bread and butter.' UTAU in and of itself was born from grass roots. Many people who indulge in this hobby (especially in the US/UK) are young adults, teens, or preteens and not all of them have access to jobs or a steady source of monetary income. Those that do may make just enough to live off of and not much more than that. Art is a luxury and it's not necessary to enjoy UTAU. If you plan on say... selling your UTAU as a brand/commercialized entity, then it's best to pay according to the quality you're being given.

Reactions: melobuniiP

Kitcat190

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I generally always try to do everything by myself, because not only am I gaining more skill, but I also have more pride in the work overall. For commissions however, I generally stick to deviantart and its broad spectrum of art. Some artists really do not wish to charge a lot of money, even if their art is phenomenal. But if I had to, the most I'd pay for is 15USD(with original design) Very cheap for art standards but again, if I did my digging there's probably an artist who'd do it for less, because I've seen it before. I don't have a lot of money either so I'm a good example of someone who is frugal, I'd rather spend the money on food, school or books before luxuries. Usually again, I try to do everything for myself before I commission T v T

Utau4life

Teto's Territory
Since I suck at drawing I have had 2 of my utaus drawn for me my total so far is about $60 I think

Leo

oh you know
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Hm, I just noticed this thread and, being a professional character designer myself, actually what a lot of people offer for their digital art is way less than what digital art should actually be worth.
Think of it in terms of being paid per hour. Minimum wage where I live (California) is 9 dollars an hour. That's going to be our starting point here.
It takes me around 7ish hours generally for a fullbody work of art, depending on the style. Sometimes it can take up to 10-15 hours for a work of art.

That's 63 dollars for a piece of work WORKING AT MINIMUM WAGE, and some longer more intricate works can cost up to 90-135 dollars at minimum wage. (Which, minimum wage is NOT living wage so everyone knows. It's below.)

It's also very customary to tip commissioned artists based on how satisfied you are with a product. Most I've seen get tipped anywhere between 10-30 dollars depending on the original price of the commission.

When people price their commissions or pay for commissions, they have to take into account how many hours they will be working and how much an "hourly" salary would be. Everyone works at different paces, but if your art costs less than minimum wage per hour, you're underpricing.

Most of my work I price between 150-200 USD a pop.

Reactions: EchoBlossom123

EchoBlossom123

Teto's Territory
Mmmmm- personally I wouldn't really spend anything. For art in general, sure! if I have a reason to. With that I'd want to pay the artist a fair amount for their time (something around griffin's pricings above) Though I'm not really the type of person to commission others (I'd rather draw it myself tbh, even if it isn't at a professional level)

UTAU for me is a hobby and I wouldn't spend money on it ;x; Especially as the community is mostly just a bunch of kids (me being one myself)

Leo

oh you know
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Mmmmm- personally I wouldn't really spend anything. For art in general, sure! if I have a reason to. With that I'd want to pay the artist a fair amount for their time (something around griffin's pricings above) Though I'm not really the type of person to commission others (I'd rather draw it myself tbh, even if it isn't at a professional level)

UTAU for me is a hobby and I wouldn't spend money on it ;x; Especially as the community is mostly just a bunch of kids (me being one myself)
YEAH I understand the whole "drawing it yourself" thing. In that sense, I wasn't actually sure how to approach the subject in general because I am one of those people who prefers to do it by themselves. If I can draw something myself for free, I'm going to do that instead of having another artist represent me and my product (as an artist)

I think the most I can do for this situation is just give some reminders that artists work for a living too and that their prices should reflect their cost of living and that people should be mindful of that when commissioning artists.

A lot of people also don't know that artists are one of those "tipped groups"!! It's really within good standard to tip artists when you enjoy their work because artists REALLY undersell themselves!!

IDK I can just help out with that, but I personally don't think I would spend anything on a commission, I would rather do it myself.

Reactions: EchoBlossom123