How do I crossfade notes in OpenUtau without it sounding like death

socialgutbrain777

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Operating system: Ubuntu MATE 22.04.1
Resampler used: moresampler 8.4

So, as you can see, my problem has to do with the sound that the notes make when crossfaded. That awful, metallic chorus effect. Having a little experience with audio editing, I do know that the sound comes the waveforms not matching up; this is how flanger effects work, in fact! So with that little bit out of the way, I know how to fix this effect in UTAU, which I do by setting the modulation on all notes to 0 instead of leaving the values blank. Ta-da! No more awfulness! The trick doesn't work in OpenUtau, though, which sucks. I've noticed that this effect usually only ever happens when I use non-worldline resamplers, though I have noticed it with the worldlines in rare cases.

So yeah, I was wondering if this is something I myself can fix, or if this is just a software bug that I can't do anything about because my coding knowledge is exclusively localized to 10-year-old me making random stuff on Scratch. Peace and love ✌️

(PS: I've actually been into vocal synths as far back as 2017, I think. I just. Uh. Dropped off the face of the earth for a little while. For reasons.)

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If you're using the CLASSIC renderer, you should be able to click the gear icon and select between different wavtools.

socialgutbrain777

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
If you're using the CLASSIC renderer, you should be able to click the gear icon and select between different wavtools.
Okay! So I switched the wavtool from "convergence" to "simple", and... uh... it magically sounds way better with vowel blends, but end breaths still sound pretty crunchy. The voicebank I'm using is Namine Ritsu's CVVC, if that helps.

Reactions: Big_B

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
You can download the usual 3rd party wavtools and resamplers you'd use for UTAU and pop them in the Resampler and Wavtool folders to use them, you may get a more consistent result just FYI

socialgutbrain777

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
You can download the usual 3rd party wavtools and resamplers you'd use for UTAU and pop them in the Resampler and Wavtool folders to use them, you may get a more consistent result just FYI
That actually sounds like a really good idea and I am now wondering why I didn't think of that X.X
I'll go see if that works real quick. thanks :smile:
Post automatically merged:

That actually sounds like a really good idea and I am now wondering why I didn't think of that X.X
I'll go see if that works real quick. thanks :smile:
Update: It didn't work because wavtool support on linux isn't implemented yet :D oh well

Last edited: