Changing the key of an off vocal ~

kirrinx

Teto's Territory
I've seen some covers where the users raise the key of the UTS and they also change the key of the off vocal and I'm interested in doing this but I'm not exactly sure what to do to make sure both are in the same key so it doesn't sound off.

Rai

Teto's Territory
If you use the Change pitch effect in Audacity, say, there is an option to raise or lower it by a specific number of semitones. Then you can move the notes the same number. Or reverse the process.

I might be wrong on all this since I've never done it myself but that's just what I think would be done.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
REAPER has a super in-depth pitch changer, ReaPitch. It can specify a lot of that too, and more than REAPER.

(Only pointing it out because Audacity was pointed out and REAPER is the far better option if you're going to go about it that way.)

Naito

Teto's Territory
shinami link said:
REAPER has a super in-depth pitch changer, ReaPitch. It can specify a lot of that too, and more than REAPER.

(Only pointing it out because Audacity was pointed out and REAPER is the far better option if you're going to go about it that way.)

I'm a bit new to all this, and was actually asking a friend about pitching off vocals should I have to change the key of an UST so that my UTAU don't sing like train wrecks.

But I'm not sure I understand what to do in ReaPitch?

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I've never used ReaPitch to do this, but I'll try to explain what I think you do.

And my REAPER is an old version (Way back with 3.75 because my parents don't let me update any of my software, ugh), but it should be very similar if not the same process.

be7l1d.png

Now, between notes C4 and C5 in UTAU there are twelve Semitones, and twelve Semitones equals one octave. Therefore when pitching an off vocal, for every semitone up or down you must move the off vocal that many semitones.

So, in ReaPitch you ONLY touch the Semitone bar. Let's say you moved the song down five notes to make your male sing it better. In ReaPitch you can either subtract 5 semitones OR add 8 semitones. Decide which one sounds better, though it'd probably be the one closest to the original pitch.

Hope that explanation worked! (I didn't realize it'd be so easy myself)