Iris Libra English Design Contest!

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hello my dear UTAforum~ *chu's you all* As of right now I am oto-ing Iris's English VB! And let me tell you...it is boring as hell. But that's not why I'm here. I'm here because I wanted to alert you all to the design contest I'm holding!

That's right, I want you to come up with a design for my baby's English bank~ Here's my dA journal with the info: http://lucidiris.deviantart.com/journal/Iris-Libra-English-Design-Contest-363325263

But for all you lazys who are too lazy lazy to go there...here ya go:

Contest Guidelines and Rules and Junk

Basically, what I want from you is a new design for Iris's English bank. Simple, right? Wrong. Because you have to keep all of the following in mind:

-Stick with her normal color scheme: The colors that are on her design now? Use 'em. And use 'em well~ I would personally keep purple out of her design but if you can make it work in other places besides her hair go for it. You can find her pallet here: [link]

-No short hair: I know not everyone can draw Iris's extremely long hair well. Do your best to keep it between waist length and her normal length(which reaches her ankles), though. Like…not shoulder length and when giving her new hairstyles keep in mind if you pull it up or back, it should be able to work with her normal length. If you have problems with this just contact me.

What would Iris wear?: This is Iris we're talking about lol This is a lady who is 9 times out of 10 happy and cheerful. She likes to go for long walks and sit outside in her garden. Think light material and nothing too heavy that will weigh her down or make her hot. Research some fashion if you have to and don't limit yourself to just American fashion. Just cause this is English doesn't mean we need another English Miku mishap.

-Think about accessories and her flower: Iris's flower is a HUGE part of her design. Like that is literally the staple of her design. That flower makes Iris…Iris. For all that is holy and musical please keep her flower somewhere in the design. Iris is most likely to wear the following accessories:

Hairclips
Bracelets
Belts/Sashes(duh)
Pins and buttons
Necklaces

But you don't have to limit yourself to those. I'm just trying to give you ideas at this point.

-Only 2 designs per person!: No entering five or ten designs. You get two entries and that's it. See FAQ for more info.

Prizes, the winner, and deadline
There will only be one winner. I may or may not pick a runner up for her far off(and I mean WAY far off) VCV bank but we'll see. If I choose you're design you will win the following:

-You're design will be Iris's official English design!

-I will include your UTAU/OC or character of your choice in a monthly illustration! So basically you'll get a full picture of whatever character you want(I mean as long as I can draw them…). Please see my most recent pictures in my dA gallery if you're curious.

-A chibi of your UTAU/OC/Character of your choice.

The Deadline: The deadline as of now is May 12th!! I may extend it to June 1st if people need it later on.

Other junk you need to know
I too will be working on a design for Iris. See the FAQ for why. Once you have an entry please send me a link either in the comment section of the journal or on my dA profile page. You may also contact me through tumblr(iris-la-flora) or send me a note. As well as post it here on the thread. Just whatever you do DON'T assume I will eventually just see it. All entries will be put up on a separate journal. If you make an entry and don't see it there let me know before the deadline! I don't want anyone to get left out.

EXTRA For UF: I will also put the entries up here for you guys.

FAQ
1. Is there anything on Iris's design I should keep? Like her boots or her headband?

Aside from her flower, which it's a requirement to have her flower in her design somewhere, no. Everything else can and probably should be changed.

2. I'm having trouble drawing Iris's hair/flower.

Everyone draws differently. Otherwise art would be very boring. As long as the flower you draw resembles Iris's(green petals, yellow center, six petals give or take) you'll be fine. For hair, if it's down, as long as it at least reaches her waist you'll be good. If it's pulled up or back, as long as it's believable that her hair will be long when undone you should be fine. If you're really worried about it just ask me once you post your entry and I'll let you know what I think.

3. Do we have to be an UTAU user/in the UTAU fandom to join?

It'd probably help? But no you don't have to be.

4. Why are you making a design too?

In the event this contest somehow manages to go horribly wrong...it's always nice to have a back up.

5. So basically if you don't like any of the entries?

I really highly extremely doubt that will happen. Like...I have a better chance of breaking my neck in the next ten minutes. I was talking about in the event no one enters. I really doubt I won't like any of them. Ya'll are so creative and fabu artists I really doubt that'll happen.

6. Can I add colors to the design as long as I have her original colors in too?

No, I'd rather you didn't. I'd like to be flexible with this I really would but...I really want her original color scheme kept. That being said I also understand people see colors differently and sometimes shading makes things look different...if I can tell it's her color scheme you'll be a-ok. If not I'll just ask.

7. Once I submit my design and it's up on the journal can I go back and change it?

Absolutely! Until the deadline comes and I give the announcement that the contest has ended you can change and fix whatever you want.

8. Can I enter more than one design?

Two entries max per person please. No more than that. If you somehow come up with more(I don't know why you would), then pick one or two to be put up in the journal.

9. How will the entries be judged?

I'll be the only judge and I ask that I get a week to decide. I may get outside opinions but in the end I'll have the final say since it is in fact my UTAU. My decision is going to be based solely on whichever design I think would fit Iris for her new bank. Please please please do not be scared if you think your art is bad or won't be good enough. I am not judging based on how good the artwork or style is. I am judging based on which design I like best. There will be no random numbers or voting(per se...again I might get outside opinions). Just the design matters to me. If you feel your art is sub-par but really want to join still give me a design! Do not be afraid to join because you feel your art is not good enough.

10. Does it have to be in an anime style?

No it does not. Rather you draw in anime-style, semi-realistic, hyper-realistic or cartoony...go for it. Just as long as I can tell what the design is and what's going on.

11. Does it have to be in digital or in color? Can I do a traditional picture?

It does have to be in color. I can't really do much with a black and white design now can I? ouo;; You can however do a traditional pic as long as it's colored please and I can tell which color is which. Base coloring(coloring without shading) is fine.

12. I have a design but my art really isn't so great. Will you draw Iris's concept art/UTAU icon/etc. if I win?

Yes, I will. Regardless of who wins I'll be drawing the new design too so I can get used to it and clear up anything I might've gotten wrong with it. I'll be doing this before her VB release and will include both of our artworks in her VB if need be.

13. When is Iris's birthday?

June 26th

14. Should we make a reference sheet too?

Not required but you can if you want to.

Entries So Far
Rai's
iris_by_kiri_rxrai-d60h689.png
Lyrie's
tumblr_mkshy0k7yO1sn1bmoo1_1280.png
PandaLolii's
tumblr_mkr5tkSotg1qizlhto1_500.png
Zio's
contest_entry__english_iris_by_mewglaceon-d60knai.png
Miramiee's
iris_libra_english_design_contest_entry_by_milamie-d60pt3k.jpg
Yoshi's
tumblr_mkwb4kadnY1rtjspko1_1280.jpg
FallenAngel's
iris_libra_english_design_contest_by_fallenangel1017-d60vsg9.png
Austria's(Turquoise-Cherry on dA)
iris_libra_english_design_entry_by_turquoise_cherry-d612jxj.png
iris_libra_english_design_entry_2_by_turquoise_cherry-d614cv3.png
Ryuuoh's
utau_design_contest_entry__iris_libra_english_by_gat_xx03-d626x3l.jpg
Any other questions or concerns please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you and good luck~ ouo

LunaAkimine

Teto's Territory
does it have to be coloured/digital? because im keen to try out but time constraint isn't allowing me to do fullbody coloured artworks 8'D
if it has to be then are base colours allowed?

IrisFlower

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
LunaAkimine said:
does it have to be coloured/digital? because im keen to try out but time constraint isn't allowing me to do fullbody coloured artworks 8'D
if it has to be then are base colours allowed?

Yes it has to be colored using her color scheme so I can see everything and how everything is supposed to look.

Base coloring is allowed. ouo

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Nice. ^^ I drew up a concept, so I'm going to scan it and finish it once I can, but I may make some modifications, it looks a bit mature for something Iris might wear. owo

LunaAkimine

Teto's Territory
http://kuro-kaze.tumblr.com/post/47197522379/doodle-base-colours-for-iriss-iris-libra-eng gahh i tried.
tumblr_mkshy0k7yO1sn1bmoo1_1280.png

doesn't look must different
oh yea, the flowers with yellow outlines aren't flowers, they are more like brooches so they are suppose to be sort of hard and sparkly idk ajkfhsdjkfds ignoreme
since she likes to go for walks and stuff i thought it would be better to wear guard pants rather than skirt alone and the shoes are less "boot"-like and a lil bit like sneakers + slippers for comfort. and to prevent her hair from getting in the way i thought maybe if it kinda gets loosely tied it would be easier i guess.
i tried to give her a bit of a hippy + cheerful + simple feel because its an english bank but... i think i failed OTL

IrisFlower

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
-screeches cause WOW she looks cute- I love it! Thanks so much for entering!! ^^

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
shinami can traditional right ; w ;
*is still on vacation though*
*and is still hiding from her terrifyingly full dA inbox*

Miramiee

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
WAH. Like, as soon as I saw this, I got started right away on a design.
XD And..h-hey. Whaddya know? I mean, I finished today. Ha. Ha.. Haa.
/lesobsmydesignistoosimplehomglecryy

I know the quality is all crummy but I got lazy while I was cleaning up the coloring and whatnot. FFF. I make her hair a bit curly by accident and didnt want to change it if that's okay too OTL.

iris_libra_english_design_contest_entry_by_milamie-d60pt3k.jpg

-runs away-

IrisFlower

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
shinami said:
shinami can traditional right ; w ;
*is still on vacation though*
*and is still hiding from her terrifyingly full dA inbox*

Yes, traditional art is fine as long as it's colored so I can see what everything is supposed to look like.

@Miramiee
Eee~! Thank you so much for entering she looks so adorable! >w< The contest hasn't even been up for a week yet and all these fabu designs...picking one is going to be hard xD

Austria

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
//looks at already entered designs
//dies because i'm not good enough to compete

I'll try ;w;

IrisFlower

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Awww ;; Don't sell yourself short! I'm sure you'll come up with something great!

IrisFlower

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Alrighty folks this is a reminder! The contest ends in two weeks on May the 12th! Copy paste from my dA journal:

========================
Hello everyone~! ouo Just putting up this reminder that my contest for Iris's English design ends in apprx. 2 weeks on the 12th! That's May the 12th. So if you haven't gotten your design in yet, I'd advise you pick up the pace a bit so you can get it in on time. If you already have a design in and want to make changes you can do that as well or maybe if you want to add a second design(remember I'm allowing up to TWO entries per person) feel free to do so.

If you made a design, please please please, double check to make sure I have it posted to this journal: http://lucidiris.deviantart.com/art/Contest-Entries-363676221
I'd rather not have anyone getting left behind ;; I'd feel really bad if you made a design and it didn't get counted because I didn't know about it or worse yet I simply forgot to post it on the journal ;n; So be sure to check! And if yours is missing please link me to the design so I can post it!

With all that out of the way I'm aware that school is becoming a bitch for everyone involved...trust me I'm fully aware of this. So, if you guys need an extension on the deadline I can push it back to June 1st BUT only if I'm shown a sketch or some form of proof that you have a design but still need a little bit more time. As a busy person myself I don't want to waste time pushing back the deadline only to have no on else enter by then.

So as of now the deadline is still May 12 in appx. two weeks! If you guys need me to push the deadline back, have something for me by then and let me know you need more time to finish and I will be happy to push it back but June 1st is my limit. Thanks for your time and thank you to everyone who has entered so far! It really means a lot to me ;u; Good luck!

========================

So, please keep all of this in mind and thank you for reading! If you guys have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm happy, started working on this and it finally broke my artist block I've been having for a bit! Hope you don't mind finicky details hah, was channeling a little too much Skeyi with some of this.

IrisFlower

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Gunna have to start a new list for entries cause you're only allowed 10 images per post~ Thanks for entering Shinami and I'm glad it fixed your art block hahaha xD

More Entries
Shinami's
iris2_by_shinamieba-d63ren7.png
Panini's
iris_libra_english_entry_by_neon_virus-d63zzht.png
Pichu's
IrisLibra_EnglishDesignbyNaughtyPichu_zpsa1b15c7c.jpg
Rai's(second entry)
iris_english_design_by_kiri_rxrai-d64ijtl.png
Angel's
iris_english_design_entry_by_milky_dream-d64k6lv.png

Austria

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
IrisFlower said:
Gunna have to start a new list for entries cause you're only allowed 10 images per post~ Thanks for entering Shinami and I'm glad it fixed your art block hahaha xD

More Entries
Shinami's
iris2_by_shinamieba-d63ren7.png

shinami's design is so beautiful i got no chance to win now haha cries and sobs and runs away