Tutorial Install Windows UTAU on Mac

Resamplers! Plugins! No more monthly codes!

1. Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru Local Sensei Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
  2. gemverse

gemverse Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    using homebrew got it to open finally! it spat out a bunch of gibberish in the readme, but at least it's functioning...and i can troubleshoot from there if it becomes a big issue. thank you so much!

3. Kiyoteru

Trophy Points
    Oh no! I completely forgot to tell you something important! Please delete all of the UTAU files from your wine folder, and reinstall it, but make sure to set the locale variables.

Code:
    LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8 wine /path/to/installer.exe

4. RoboCheatsyTM

RoboCheatsyTM Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I'd just like to add that if anyone experiences bugs where window content isn't displayed, text doesn't appear on the menu, or some plugins don't work correctly, try using the most recent 32 bit staging (4.21 at the time of writing). It seems to fix everything! :smile:

(This won't work for Catalina users since Catalina removed 32-bit support. Also I don't know if this works for users on older version of MacOS since I'm on Mojave, but if anyone else encounters the same issues as me, you may want to try it. So far nothing has broken by using 4.21 instead of 2.22, but I haven't gotten to test it a whole lot.)

(Also, thank you again for this tutorial. It's a godsend!)

5. Shine

Shine Teto's Territory

Trophy Points
    Hey!

I just followed the tutorial and fortunately everything went smoothly!

However, I'm now experiencing some issues with rendering/playback...First of all, the "progress line" (?) seems to lag and jump instead of smoothly following the .ust. And then, the sounds are all jumbled up, almost as if I had messed a lot with consonant velocity. In an Anti-Gravities by sasakure.uk ust., the first verse would be "jinseki non-fiction" but my utau (and any other utau) sings "*noise* *noise* nn iii ii e e".
    I don't know what could be causing this.

I've already checked the "Note length calculated by GUI front-end" option and nothing changed.
    Specs: I installed the 4.18 version, and my Mac is running on Mojave 10.14.6 (but I guess the issue isn't Mojave specific cause I sucessfully installed the software itself through wine, didn't even use homebrew as suggested above). My voicebanks and usts were kept in a hard drive for the past 4 years and I moved them now into my Mac. Do you think that could've corrupted voicebank files or oto.ini files or the .ust files themselves?

Thank you guys in advance!

6. Kiyoteru

Trophy Points
    I've since moved to another Windows laptop, so I may need to consider wiping my Macbook and testing software on the latest OSX. It is still only on Sierra.

If by chance it is corrupted files, try downloading fresh voicebanks and USTs from online and making sure you open zip files with Unarchiver.

7. sagesprite

sagesprite Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    hi! unfortunately i happened across this tutorial kind of late, and to my chagrin it was literally minutes after i upgraded to Catalina.
    is it hopeless for me? or is there any alternative avenue i can find to install UTAU on macOS 10.15?

my experience with the process went a little differently because wineskin wouldn't install a wrapper version to begin with. so i used an "unofficial wineskin winery" app to do it, which worked fine! up until i got to the [install software] step. and now it's been saying "Wineskin is currently busy" for almost an hour now. :sad: if anybody knows what's up, even if it's just my OS, i thank you guys in advance for your help !

8. Kiyoteru

Trophy Points
  9. sagesprite

sagesprite Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    i followed the tutorial and installed all the components smoothly, but once i try to run the UTAU installer, i get an error message saying "Bad CPU type in executable" and haven't been able to find or understand any solutions to this, if there are any, relating to UTAU specifically. but since catalina doesn't support 32bit programs anymore, i guess it might just not work. I really hope that's not the case, since UTAU-synth is finicky with me too D:

10. YukitoYuki

YukitoYuki Pronouns: They/He Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    As far as I know, there is no 64 bit version of Wine available yet. This is why I haven’t updated my Mac Book to Catalan yet.

Because of this the best advise I can give is to use a real Emulator (parallels or VMware for example) and buy Win10 home edition. This however cost lot of money and requires a LOT of storage from your computer (easily over 20GB )!

I don’t recommended this if you have MacBook Air because that thing has too little memory. I have installed Win10 on VMware to my MacBook Pro with minimal space requirements and I can tell that that’s not enough to run smoothly any big projects inside because I have also TWO big DAWs installed on the same laptop (Cubase for Vocaloid and Logic Pro X).

I think that emulator is the best for big computer. You can run it on laptop too if you don’t have already big DAW(s) or anything else heavy thing already pre-installed.

The second option is to just buy a (cheap) Windows 10 laptop. I don’t have any other good advises for Catalan users for now (until Wine gets 64-bit update but IDK if and when that gonna happen).

The latest UTAU-Synth b20 works fine on Catalan because that is 64-bit. I think this is better than nothing.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    sagesprite and Kiyoteru like this.
  11. McKayla

McKayla Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    When I got to the "install software" thing, this showed up.. [​IMG] When i press the first one i can do anything. the second and third one is putting something into the utau thing. I'm just very confused.

12. Kiyoteru

Trophy Points
    Your screenshot doesn't appear in your post. Could you try to upload it again?

13. McKayla

McKayla Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    Sorry.

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 7.49.00 PM.png
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 28, 2020 ---
    I figured it out, nevermind.

Kiyoteru likes this.
  14. aaabon

aaabon Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    it seems that wineskin is down? When I try to access it all I get is this page!

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 5.27.25 PM.png

15. Kiyoteru

Trophy Points
    There's nothing I can do about that. It's beyond my control.