how good does one need to be to be -P name worthy?

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
i'm working on original songs, but i'm wanting to give myself a goal to motivate me

so
how good does someone producing originals need to be to be worthy of a -P name?

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
P names are so overrated it's ridiculous

You could produce 3 originals or 300, it depends on popularity mostly. Your fans decide if you're worthy of a -P name or not. You could assign one to yourself regardless, but overseas it's looked down upon & you'd probably get a lot of hate.

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
P names are so overrated it's ridiculous

You could produce 3 originals or 300, it depends on popularity mostly. Your fans decide if you're worthy of a -P name or not. You could assign one to yourself regardless, but overseas it's looked down upon & you'd probably get a lot of hate.
i mainly want a standard to work up to, i dont necessarily want a -P name
i'd feel quite rude giving one to myself

on VocaloidOtaku, they told me to give myself a nickname to be known by rather than waiting on a -P name, the only trouble being, i cant think of one xD

Last edited:

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I find the idea of trying to work towards a specific defined standard a bit ridiculous. Personally I have a more independent thought, so I try to work on simply making my songs better than they were in the past, with more variations and complexity and experimenting with different beats and instruments and genres. Comparing yourself to others and trying to climb some sort of ladder doesn't seem productive.

If you're fixated on the idea of a -P name, it seems to be a contest of popularity and recognition. Promote yourself well if your goal is to gain fans.

As for the idea of a nickname, it's pretty much the exactly same thing as how producers and DJs have their nicknames instead of getting known by their full names.

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
@Adlez27
thank you :3
i'll keep working on my songs to make each one better than the last :D
popularity really isnt a big thing for me at all
(gaaaahh thinking of a nickname is HAAAARD!!)

Lorreine Geralde

lorreinegeralde@IRIS-SELECIA
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
To me, the "-P" name is interesting but not necessary. I've seen some Vocaloid producers like DATEKEN and kaoling who never receive "-P" names respectively but is still popular in the Vocaloid community. The name itself is much like a birthday gift; you rarely receive it but it will make you happy.

If someone creates many good UTAU songs and then, someone likes them and wants to give the person a "-P" name, that's their decision after all.

△ x t r y k

Momo's Minion
There was actually an article straight from NNDPedia translated on what the P name, you actually don't get it the way the majority of the overseas fandom believe you do. I'll quote the most important part.
The P can be added by the uploader or by other people considered producers. If the "P" isn't added by the creator, there are times where the viewers can add P to the uploader's name in the tags. It can also be added to someone if their name was written in the creator's comments or video explanation and they uploaded several videos.

So a P name is assigned by either you or your viewers, it doesn't matter. Personally, I find the concept of a P name outdated, but go wild if you want.

Translation Source: Soul of a Translator: What is a P?

NNDPedia: プロデューサーとは (プロデューサーとは) [単語記事] - ニコニコ大百科

Lorreine Geralde

Retired User
Defender of Defoko
There was actually an article straight from NNDPedia translated on what the P name, you actually don't get it the way the majority of the overseas fandom believe you do. I'll quote the most important part.

So a P name is assigned by either you or your viewers, it doesn't matter. Personally, I find the concept of a P name outdated, but go wild if you want.

Translation Source: Soul of a Translator: What is a P?

NNDPedia: プロデューサーとは (プロデューサーとは) [単語記事] - ニコニコ大百科

Well, that sounds interesting. :shades:

While Vocaloid producers with the "-P" name are commonly seen around the Vocaloid community, there is at least one person outside the Vocaloid community who uses the "-P" name...and this person is a Community Volunteer on deviantART. However, since the "P" is the first letter of her surname (her real name is Merry Philips after all), I don't think it's a big problem anyways.

orahi_shiro

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I only call someone as -P when this producer has been featured on a videogame, concert, took part on an official music CD (for example, "The best days of Teto" in UTAU) or made a collab with a VOCALOID company (for example, EmpathP with Meiko V3's demo).

Of course, this is my opinion so everyone has its own judgement. x'D

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I only call someone as -P when this producer has been featured on a videogame, concert, took part on an official music CD (for example, "The best days of Teto" in UTAU) or made a collab with a VOCALOID company (for example, EmpathP with Meiko V3's demo).

Eh, to be honest, the moment I take a P name seriously is when I'm able to find multiple songs written by them and/or when they've released an EP/album.

So someone who just started out writing songs and posted one or two, I wouldn't call them a -P yet. (In one particular case, I called a new producer a "-P" simply because it sounded good. The name rolled off my tongue nicely.)

Ono

Teto's Territory
I never saw the appeal of having a -P name. I mean, sure, it lets people know your a producer of Vocaloid songs and that's about it. But then you have those people slapping on the -P to their name when they haven't created a single thing.

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Honestly well... I don't really now what to think, thugh I do understand some seem to be bothered by the auto-P-name ;w;

(If one day I was ever good, I'd feel weird to get a P... Not really because 'im timid, but mainly because it'd sound weird with my ID OTL iunno why)

Aika Anno

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I'd like a P name but I don't really see a reason I'd get one. Nor would I know what to call myself if I gave myself one, if I ever feel like I earned one

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I guess a -P name is pretty much just to label a person as being specifically a producer.

So maybe an animator would be -A and a lyricist would be -L?

Reactions: Lorreine Geralde

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I guess a -P name is pretty much just to label a person as being specifically a producer.

since i'm not amazing at lyric writing, my friend Liviloid helps with that (i always credit her if she has helped with lyrics), so i could give her an L name?

Lorreine Geralde

Retired User
Defender of Defoko

Oh man, that would be cool, only if it really happens.
Although most animators and lyricists are known by their usernames. but I could be wrong at all.

1683025-slide-slide-4-memes-with-meaning-cats.jpg