Help with multipitch recording

UkimeKageku

Teto's Territory
So I'm trying to record VCV banks with multipitch but I've ran into a problem. Every single time I record a high set, it either sounds like a different person, or seems to have a quality drop. it's really frustrating because i spend so much time recording only to have to keep scrapping high sets because it doesn't sound right. Not to mention it's wearing my voice out... :bigtears:

I have the same recording settings, same room, same position in the room every time, i drink water, i warm up before, etc... I have other banks for reference and even that doesn't help me. Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong? Naturally I have a sort of deep voice, but even other people with deep voiced utau can do multipitch..

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The whole point of multipitch recording, is that at different pitches you have a different tone of voice and that's what you want to capture in your UTAU. So what if your high set sounds different? That's the way you sound on high notes! That's the way your UTAU will sound on high notes, and your UTAU will sound like YOU.

tl;dr stop scrapping the sets and keep them. It's fine to sound different.

UkimeKageku

Teto's Territory
Adlez27 said:
The whole point of multipitch recording, is that at different pitches you have a different tone of voice and that's what you want to capture in your UTAU. So what if your high set sounds different? That's the way you sound on high notes! That's the way your UTAU will sound on high notes, and your UTAU will sound like YOU.

tl;dr stop scrapping the sets and keep them. It's fine to sound different.

I know that's what multipitch is per se. But what i mean is that, when I listen to other multipitch banks/recordings, they still sound like.. their selves..?? i.e. Ritsu, Hachi, Ruko, etc. but with mine the transition sounds jarring, or the quality gets metallic while the middle pitch is smooth. I even showed it to a friend of mine and they said it sounded off, but they have no experience with multipitch so that was the most they could help me.. :cynical:

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Well, how big is the jump? If you're having trouble with a note say five higher than the original, do a set that's just two or three higher. It might seem redundant but it might help the transition. And also are you trying to make it a Kire/Sakebi type higher pitch or just a range extension? Because the former WILL sound odd to you (I know from my own efforts), but the latter...maybe it's out of your range for that type? Like if you record Kakou in a chest voice, at some point you have to switch to a head voice (my problem) and that may be throwing tone off. Or something. *has a million theories*

UkimeKageku

Teto's Territory
shinami said:
Well, how big is the jump? If you're having trouble with a note say five higher than the original, do a set that's just two or three higher. It might seem redundant but it might help the transition. And also are you trying to make it a Kire/Sakebi type higher pitch or just a range extension? Because the former WILL sound odd to you (I know from my own efforts), but the latter...maybe it's out of your range for that type? Like if you record Kakou in a chest voice, at some point you have to switch to a head voice (my problem) and that may be throwing tone off. Or something. *has a million theories*

oh! well it makes it a bit better that i wasn't alone in this! ^^;; I'm actually trying to do both, but the problem persists more with the kire type. I think it may be the head voice thing, cause honestly.. I recently learned about that term, so i don't think i know how to use it well.. The jump sounds real big to me, especially since i know what multipitch/kire banks usually sounds like.. It's reaally bothering me, so i'll try your advice! Thank you! :smile:

Masa

Teto's Territory
In my opinion it's good to have a little difference between lower pitches and higher pitches, it makes the UTAU more unique :smile:

You might think that Ritsu's Kire bank or Matsudappoiyo's Edge bank sounds "like themselves" on each of the pitches, but really, if you compare their lowest pitch and highest pitch, they sound very different. The key is not to have too much of a jump between each of the pitches.

My advise to you is to add another pitch or two between the two pitches to help with the transition. If you look at good multipitch banks, you won't ever find more than 4 semitones of gaps between the pitches.