english utau help??

aerinlers

Momo's Minion
Im doing a cover of Outer Science with Minarai Mona but ive never worked with english utaus before. im using the lyrics from this video and im just having general trouble with the pronunciation ??

if anyone who uses english utaus regularly could give some tips that would be awesome !!

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Well I wouldn't say I use it regularly but I have Iris and have been working with her a lot lately so I think I can help.
For pronunciation the main "vowels" are as follows:

@ - like in "hat" or "at"
& - like the A in "and"
e - like in "head"
i - like in "fit" or "hit" or "stick"
a - like in "father" or "awesome"
u - like in "but"
o - like in "boom" or "doom"
6 - like in "good"...not gunna lie that ones kinda tricky to understand
3 - like the sound in "learn"
8 - like the sound in "now" or "ow" or "pow"
E - like in "feet"
A - like in "day"
I - like in "pie" or "die"
O - like in "go" or "slow"
Q - like the sound in "boy" or "noise"

I don't think there's too much to do with consonants I think they're pretty self explanatory if you look...If I could give you an example on how I'd input the first line I'd do something like this:

The line is: "Tragedy ridden, never fit in, and dead now."

I would input into UTAU: [tr@][je][dE] [ri][de][en] [ne][v3] [fi][ti][in] [-&][&n] [de][ed] [n8][8-]

Something like that for Iris...maybe throw in some blending vowels or even blend "fit in" and "and" together like I did with "fit" and "in"(I'd have to actually work with it myself to know). I'd suggest playing around with it yourself and seeing what sounds best? I'm no expert and every UTAU is different especially when it comes to English I think.

English takes editing and patience ;; My only tip is like...don't feel like you have to spell every word out sometimes it's best to carry consonants over(like "fit in" being [fi][ti][in] instead of [fi][it] [-i][in]) to the next sound. Try singing the song yourself to see how you really sing it.

aerinlers

Momo's Minion
aah! thank you so much for this!! sorry it took so long to reply but yeah!! youre a huge help thanks!! :wink: