Do you like to use lower quality banks sometimes ?

Terindie

日本語 Patrol - Active Duty
Defender of Defoko
The fact that people use vocal synth rather than hiring singers already shows that this community likes to push the limits of low quality and see what we can do with it. :creepy:

Producers got mega-popular working with V1/V2 and I think it's because creativity really shines through when you limit the quality of the banks and have to learn to work with their flaws.

So I think it's a pretty common sentiment that even sorta forms the basis of the vocal synth world.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Yes.

Not everyone is a crazy maniac who wants to make mega multipitch multi append multi lingual voicebanks with pristine quality and perfection everywhere. Sometimes I want to use a friend's bank, and it might just be a first CV, and that's fine.

chunter

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Music quality is subjective. What one person thinks is a low quality unrealistic tone, I may think is freedom from the "uncanny valley" problem, a song that can have an unsingable melody, and so on.

Lorreine Geralde

lorreinegeralde@IRIS-SELECIA
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
To me, it depends on how the voicebank is configured. Sometimes, some UTAUs have voices that are considered unacceptable (not cutesy, mot manly, whatever) but have a decent (or slightly, at least) oto.ini file. Mine included.

Based on my past experience, I used a few VBs with low quality, such as Izumi Kio and Aru (CyanOnigiri's UTAU). Their VB oto.ini are slightly decent but the voices are too deep, making me feel slightly hard to mix their voices.