Any Lolitas here?

HiddenVenia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Fawkesy said:
In other news, I bought a cookbook! It's called 'The Afternoon Tea Collection' http://www.amazon.com/The-Afternoon-Collection-Pamela-Clark/dp/1454910194
I can't wait to try some of the recipes, they all look so tasty. <3
That book looks so awesome! I think I might have to order a copy for myself when I have the chance!

On a different note, I have a question.

I mentioned before in this thread that I want to order this dress in black: http://www.bodyline.co.jp/bodyline/showProduct2.asp?id=5904&pageNumber=3&pageStop=stop_1&noSubType=N (I ordered it today!)

Well, I have this headpiece: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=w2hc0k&s=8#.U8FZk_ldXec (the picture is several years old and I can't take a new one right now)

Do you think those two would go together well, or would it look bad?

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
RE:

It's kinda hard to make out, but as long as it's not too plasticy it should look great! I think I see a person statue bust emboss (I can't find the right word right now) on the side? Very classic.

I made my first brand order also, from Innocent World! It's their summer sale and I couldn't resist. Though I really need to build up base items and thus only bought some socks and a choker (plus their stuff is still over $100 on sale >_> ). I list all the items in specific here: http://shinamilolita.tumblr.com/post/91513287548/my-innocent-world-order

I haven't gotten confirmation on them being in stock yet though, I hope so ahhhh~
And socks are something good to get offbrand but their sale prices were pretty competitive with Sockdreams for example and their prints are copyrighted. *shrugs*

HiddenVenia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I took a picture with my ipad, so hopefully it's okay quality and you can see it now. (it's an attached file since my ipad wouldn't let me host it)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 8

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
RE:

shinami said:
Well one good thing about lolita is it's resale value!

Even if you get a piece and regret it, you can always get your money back. If it's in untouched condition you can probably even sell it for the original price since people will want the cheaper shipping. If it's a rarer piece/coloraway or a popular one it will even go up in price! Highest I've seen on the EGL Sales Comms for asking prices was a AatP Vampire Requiem original OP for $750 and one other (forget what) for $1000. Everything holds it's value really well as long as it isn't damaged, and even then it may be fine.

There are lots of people with strategies on how to get lolita clothing when you're a teen, but a lot of it relies on your parents in that case. Research to your hearts content on it! And even if you can't afford Brand, you can buy indie brands, buy used on the Comm Sales/from Closet Child, wait for a sale (I just bought some stuff from the Innocent World summer sale), buy offbrand, buy from Taobao, etc.

I was similar with UTAU though - I didn't even realize an UTAU I designed is pretty much a lolita! Of the classic variety of course. It's a hugely inspiring fashion, I recently designed another but based on ouji style. It's really cool to base it off of actual clothing (like his bow was based off of a Putumayo OP's).

That's helpful to know! I think if I want to get lolita stuff, my best bet is to probably look around for secondhand stuff(at least for brand stuff-gawrsh, why do I like Angelic Pretty's stuff so much!?) or some of the not brand stuff like Bodyline(though I've heard their sizes are larger? Then I'm not so sure because I'm really tiny). I've read that a lot of secondhand things tend to be in very good condition, and that little mistakes can drive down the price, yet can be easily fixed if it's just a tiny tear.

I'm starting to see which styles/colors I like too. I think I'm leaning towards sweet, but not of the OTT variety(I probably look too mature for it anyway). But yet, I'm not quite sure if it's sweet, or classic. My color choices that I like are red and white, perhaps with pink thrown in there for good measure. Just not sure what I should be buying first.

While my parents would probably not be giving money for this(I don't even get an allowance, so...unless if they informally start paying me/buying me stuff if I babysit the upcoming baby), my relatives tend to just give me money for birthdays and Christmases, and since my birthday is this month, I can expect some cash coming my way. Plus, my aunt is a knitting nut, and she's knitting me a pastel pink purse right now, so she could make some accessories for me : )

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
RE:

(I think the accessory is great Venia! Very classic and gothic feeling, should work well.)

Maybe you like more of an old classic sweet style? Before the pastels and OTT trends took over. It's a style I find mildly appealing though I'm much more of a classic person. Innocent World and Taobao my loves~~~

Bodyline is great for most things, though if you don't like sweet (I don't but you do?) their dresses aren't the best. I'd look at Taobao brands, they're pretty freaking awesome. Like Infanta, R-Series, Dear Celine, Magic Tea Party, Chess Story, Cici, Ista Mori, Yolanda, Surface Spell, Krad Lanrete, there are so many! Their prices are between Bodyline and Brand (except for Krad Lanrete which is as pricey and nice as Brand) and their quality as well though some are as nice as Brand (Ista Mori is a new Taobao brand for instance that got very good reviews on one of their OPs). Most Taobao items go from between $80-$150ish. And people say to mostly get shoes/accessories from Bodyline/Taobao/offbrand unless you want a specific Brand look/pride because the price just isn't worth it for those items.

I'm personally in love with Taobao 10000%. It's just a pain finding a good Shipping Service - the only two I hear generally good about are Taobao Spree (very good but a little irritating to work with the spreadsheets) and Bhiner (convenient but not as perfect at Taobao Spree). And shopping through an SS kinda sucks because fees, but it's cheaper than a reseller like Clobbaonline and Qutieland. Though the latter speak perfect English and may have items that have since sold out on the Taobao stores. *shrugs*

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
RE:

I actually found this Bodyline jsk with this adorable little bunny print! It's the L148 one. At first, I couldn't tell what the print was because the lighting is crap, but then I found a review and I was like, "so cute!" I love bunnies...This review here gives us a close up of the print on the skirt(http://egl.livejournal.com/18515178.html ) I'd love to get the red one : ) Just not sure about size yet, I still need to figure out my measurements!

I find this problem of colors and stuff being sold out or unavailable, though. I love this Berry Garden(Angelic Pretty) blouse: http://lolibrary.org/apparel/berry-garden-blouse The only problem? Even though the online shop has the blouse, they only have it in pink! I'll have to hunt or wait if I ever want it. For now though, I should look elsewhere for nice blouses.

I guess when it comes to sweet, I'll probably be skirting the border of sweet and classic. Maybe like a more mature looking sweet. I was thinking at first that I might actually do an aristocrat style, but then I realized that I simply cannot handle so many dark colors in a wardrobe! Whatever. I guess it doesn't really matter what you call it, I guess. I'm mainly building based on colors and stuff.

EDIT: I'm so sad! I'm too small for that Bodyline dress!

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
RE:

I'm always sad when I find a good deal on the EGL Sales Comm and then look at the sizing - I'm always too small. grrr.

I got my petticoat from Clobbaonline today! Though I'm really kinda sad with myself - I ordered too early on in my research, and as I was planning to buy a darker colored dress first I bought a black petticoat. Bad choice. If I don't like it I'll sell it I suppose.

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
RE:

I've heard that Classical Puppets has some pretty nice petticoats, if it turns out you don't like the petti you get. I'm pretty sure they cost some money, but I've heard that their quality is great!

My sizing crisis has been averted for now, since I can get that print as just a skirt, and the waist is small enough for me : D The tough part will be the blouse- not only does it have to fit me, but I think I'll need one in beige because the lace on that skirt isn't white. Oh well. With beige, I can be flexible and dip into classic lolita as well, though going sweeter when I feel sweet would be a little tricky. Ah well. I'll figure it out when I get there!

Since you use Taobao, do you know whether a decimal in the price(ex. ¥195.00) signals the start of the fraction part of the number(like cents in USD), or if it's used to separate groups of numbers(like the comma in "1,000). My guess is the latter, but I'm not sure.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
RE:

I have it, and it's huge! It's so hard to get used to my first petticoat ever. It feels waaaaay too big, maybe it would help if I had a full length mirror in my house though hah. I can see why casual petticoats exist now. I tried it on with a sundress that's technically long enough but I hope the dress I plan to wear it with can squish it down more. Wish I was a tall lolita, sigh. You followed me on Tumblr so you'll see my pictures and excitement later. XD

Well it's Bodyline so at least it's very affordable.

Well Taobao uses the Chinese Yuan (same symbol as Yen) which is about equal to $0.16. I use a converter each time since it isn't an even number like Yen. Anyways the decimal is indeed a transition into cents, so whatever item is 195 Yuan is only $31.50 US! Yes Taobao is very affordable, it's just difficult to buy from. And also try to stick with Taobao brands and recommended shops for things since there are scammers on the site - it is China after all.

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
RE:

Well knowing that it's Yuan really helps! All this time I've been using converter for yen, so it'd be very expensive as the result. Now I can see why everyone loves Taobao lol. I like how a lot of Taobao brands have XS sizes. I totally understand the being short thing: I'm only 5 feet tall!

I think that once you put on your dress, it'll become less poofy. I think lolita skirts tend to be of thicker material than a thin sundress. Plus, sundresses are never made for fluffy petticoats anyway, so I think you'll be fine once the dress is on : )

Me, if I get a get a petticoat it would probably be a million times poofier than yours because sweet lolita would use more bell-shaped dresses. Insane poofage!

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
RE:

The one I got was the A-Line Style I, A-Line Style III is even more poofy. DX I'd have died from poofyness if I'd bought that one! I think I just need to get used to it over time. And I need to decide when I get a bell shaped one on whether to buy Dear Celine's marshmellow petticoat or CP's bell shaped. Both are pretty even though some give the edge to Dear Celine.

I always find it funny though that Brands sell petticoats and no one buys the Brand ones. XD I wonder if they're any good even. But I'll definetly purchase at least one daily petticoat. Build up a collection yay!

Ouch being 5' would suck. Is your growing done? I'm 5'3" and 3/4, I will never officially be called 5'4", so sad about that. But tall lolitas look so pretty to me - I know for the style the skirts are supposed to be knee length but I love when some are just above the kneed and you can see the tops of their OTKs~

I like how Taobao brands, at least the bigger ones like Classical Puppets and Infanta, tend to keep their items for a pretty long while. I'm hoping some last for a few more months hah (not likely orz). I keep eyeing Infanta's coats, like http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3.w4002-1087129953.80.8v3i93&id=10435274065# which is a very reasonable price and sounds really warm. But I don't have the money or need for it now. Maybe a warm lolita coat will be my christmas gift to myself hah.

HiddenVenia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
RE:

Man, I've been trying to register for a taobao account, but it keeps trying to send a verification code to my cellphone, but my phone can't display the characters. How did you register, Shinami because I can't seem to do it.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
RE:

???

You don't. Nearly all Taobao shops do not ship overseas. Off the top of my head I know Infanta and An*Tai*Na do, but what you do is just email them with the way they say on their site or Google it.

To buy from Taobao you have to use one of two methods. Either buy from a reseller (advantages - often English Fluent, almost always positive experience, can have items that are sold out in the stores; disadvantages - VERY expenisve fees added) or from a shopping service/SS (advantages - cheapest way to buy from Taobao, can get anything unlike resellers; disadvantages - it's hard to find a good one, almost all of them have something wrong like Yoybuy not including items, Bhiner charging more for domestic shipping, and Taobao Spree having a confusing order method as examples).

The only two I can recommend after loads of research are Bhiner and Taobao Spree. Every other one I heard terrible things about at one point or another. Bhiner is new and doesn't have too many reviews - the only negatives are that their shipping isn't as good of a price but with their low service fee (5%, and the standard is 10% elsewhere) they are the cheapest still. The most polished site ever and has a convenient cart system. I plan to order from them. Taobao Spree has confusing spreadsheets but I have never heard anything bad other than the people running it having not the best English, so in the future I will likely try them as well.

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
shinami said:
The one I got was the A-Line Style I, A-Line Style III is even more poofy. DX I'd have died from poofyness if I'd bought that one! I think I just need to get used to it over time. And I need to decide when I get a bell shaped one on whether to buy Dear Celine's marshmellow petticoat or CP's bell shaped. Both are pretty even though some give the edge to Dear Celine.

I always find it funny though that Brands sell petticoats and no one buys the Brand ones. XD I wonder if they're any good even. But I'll definetly purchase at least one daily petticoat. Build up a collection yay!

Ouch being 5' would suck. Is your growing done? I'm 5'3" and 3/4, I will never officially be called 5'4", so sad about that. But tall lolitas look so pretty to me - I know for the style the skirts are supposed to be knee length but I love when some are just above the kneed and you can see the tops of their OTKs~

I like how Taobao brands, at least the bigger ones like Classical Puppets and Infanta, tend to keep their items for a pretty long while. I'm hoping some last for a few more months hah (not likely orz). I keep eyeing Infanta's coats, like http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3.w4002-1087129953.80.8v3i93&id=10435274065# which is a very reasonable price and sounds really warm. But I don't have the money or need for it now. Maybe a warm lolita coat will be my christmas gift to myself hah.

I think I'm still growing, but I doubt I'll be tall. Both of my parents are short, I think my brother stole all of the tall!

Oh! I found something in my very own closet that could be used for lolita!
tumblr_n8u09yZXXx1rx9673o1_500.jpg

It's an adorable blouse I found while cleaning out my drawers! I've had this for a while, but now that I've found it again, I thought about how useful it'd be! I'd still need a beige blouse, but at least I'll have two colors to use as a base : ) Excited!

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
RE:

Oh man that's such a lucky find! That works 100%!

I feel you on the brothers being tall, both of mine are almost 6 feet. And here I am struggling to be the average height of a woman in the US. DX

I'm cutting myself off from spending for a while now - I have an order from Innocent World coming in at $107, a dress and some socks from FanPlusFriend at $151, and a Emily Temple Cute knit I just bought from LaceMarket for $39 (all include taxes fees and shipping). my wallet hurts ow. I'll be stalking the Le Printemps OP by Chess Story, it's in stock right now and I'll just watch it like a hawk until it gets close to running out.

But yeah no more spending for a very long time. So glad I'm a working adult and can afford this without dying. Though the Wii U and games are coming up this winter season uggghhhh too many expensive hobbies...

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
RE:

Poor wallet. I hope it feels better after a little break : )

Do you think it's a good idea to rely on corset lacing to fit a tiny waist? I've noticed in the stock photos of the L481 that there is corset lacing in the back so that jsk may fit me if I tighten it enough. I'm pretty sure there's no limit to how much you could tighten a corset, as compared to the limited stretch of shirring, right?

HiddenVenia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
WendytheCreeper said:
Poor wallet. I hope it feels better after a little break : )

Do you think it's a good idea to rely on corset lacing to fit a tiny waist? I've noticed in the stock photos of the L481 that there is corset lacing in the back so that jsk may fit me if I tighten it enough. I'm pretty sure there's no limit to how much you could tighten a corset, as compared to the limited stretch of shirring, right?

Between the blouse, the lacing, and the straps you use to tie the bow in the back, you should be okay. I think anyway. How small do you need it to go?

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
RE:

My three sizes are B 74cm W 64cm and H 74cm, and the smallest the jsk comes in is size m, which is B 84-92cm and W 74-82cm. While the L482(the skirt version) is a safer bet with the m size being 64-74 cm, I'd have to buy a new blouse to go with it because the lace is beige on the skirt, while the jsk could go with the blouse I already own.

It's really difficult to shop for a short AND skinny person...everything wants you to be tall and skinny, with at least a normal sized bust instead of lumps on the chest...

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
RE:

Daaang and I thought my 82/67/90 was unlucky as most stuff is slightly too big for me.

I would still go with the skirt - not only are skirts more versatile when starting lolita (and are easier to make casual), but you're likely to get more blouses in the future and plus it fits you actually. While you can get a tailor to bring in an item, it costs a lot, a bit too much for a Bodyline item (don't forget to do the yen trick while shopping on Bodyline! things are way cheaper). And this is a personal thing but I think the pearls on the JSK are a smidge tacky - then again I rarely like pearls and you could theoretically cut them off. Check reviews, maybe the skirt is better than the JSK anyways (you can make the detachable bow into a headbow for instance).

It's really up to you, buy what you like.

I'm really happy because I finally have a dream dress~ A strategy I'm going to use to build up my wardrobe is buy basics for now and then save up only to buy things you really, really want instead of what's available. Other lolitas who are in a similar financial situation to me (minimum wage + bills) say they're doing this.

Innocent World (all the dream dresses~) Vilma OP Short in wine or green~
http://lolibrary.org/apparel/vilma-short-sleeve-op
And you can see pictures of one in real life here:
http://egl-comm-sales.livejournal.com/23482940.html
oh gosh it looks so sophisticated and good and i could wear it anywhere *why i like classic and casual*
Really hope there was a small release though as the medium the seller is listing and the Lolibrary listing is too big. D:

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
RE:

That is quite a pretty dress! It's simple, yet elegant. Since it's not too extravagant, one could dress it up if one were in the mood for being flashy(it's easier to dress up than dress down), or just wear it casually.

I've noticed in the review for the jsk that the construction underneath it is not so great. I thought with the jsk you could remove the bow on that one too? I guess not. I'm guessing the pearls fittingness depends on the colorway, though I find them rather insignificant. I figure that the skirt is a safer and less expensive bet-I'd just need to search for a matching blouse(or maybe I can coordinate it with socks or something?). I guess it all depends on how the skirt looks irl because the stock photo makes the lace look really yellow(http://www.bodyline.co.jp/bodyline/showProduct2.asp?id=7241&pageNumber=4&pageStop=stop_4&noSubType=Y&new=Y&tor=-lol-2l ), while in irl pics it's not as noticeable(http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3sd1pL9pO1rvi87mo1_1280.png ). In that case, I'd better wait until I actually have the skirt to make decisions...

I keep hearing about the yen trick! I should look up how to do it; saving money is always nice.

My dream dress? I'm in love with the Crystal Dream Carnival print, especially with a navy colorway! It's so cool! http://lolibrary.org/apparel/crystal-dream-carnival-tiered-jsk

It's such a new print though...I'd have to wait some time before anyone sells it second hand, and even then it's brand. It's so damn pretty! Argh!