Is making covers with pre-tuned usts bad?

Ibis

Teto's Territory
Is it bad to make “plug and play” covers? (plugging a voice into a pre-tuned ust). To clarify, I’m not posting them anywhere, and I’m not claiming the tuning to be mine. I also only use usts with the original tuning of the song, not anyone’s custom tuning.

I’m just more interested in making originals than making covers, so I get pretty bored trying to tune covers myself. When I do actually tune them, I give up halfway through. Sometimes I just want to hear a certain Utauloid sing a certain song without the work, yet I still feel guilty about it.

aplusod

Teto's Territory
Honestly, I don't think it's bad at all. It's not "best practices" or whatever since the tuning won't be custom fit to the voicebank, sure, but as long as you're not making money off of other people's work (without explicit permission), I don't see any harm in it.

Heck, you could post them if you really wanted to, as long as you're not expecting for it to go viral with that little effort. But really, just do whatever makes it the most fun for you - this is a hobby, not a job. (Unless, of course, this is a job and you're a professional musician using UTAU. But even so, covers more likely fall under the "just for fun, not for money" side of things anyway.)

If you're working with an untuned UST and you just wanna hear your UTAU sing it quickly, or if you want a better base for then tuning on top of, I'd also recommend the plugin AutoPitchWriter. I think there's a way to change the default pitchbends the plugin adds as well, but I haven't really messed around with that part of it myself.

Reactions: WyndReed and Ibis

Ibis

Teto's Territory
Thank you! Let the “lazy weekday covers” continue then! (they’re great filler for my mp3 player, since I’m pretty lacking in utau stuff. I’ll always buy the original too, though!)

Last edited:

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
Always been a staple of the community :smile: Sometimes you just wanna hear a certain voice sing a song and thats all. I recommend learning enough tuning to modify it in edge cases where it needs fixing because the voice you chose doesn't sound right but for 98% of cases plug and play will be fine, nothing unethical else the user wouldn't have distributed it with tuning. Have fun!

Reactions: WyndReed and Ibis

ammamanagucci

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
i don't think it's bad at all, hell, if a ust is already tuned i admittedly plug and play. i don't think it matters as long as you give credit. imo if you like your cover, then post it, even if it's 'lazy'.

Reactions: Ibis