how to write good lyrics?

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
i pump out instrumentals really easy, but i never know how to write lyrics for them.. i don't want to have to rely on others for lyrics

i can't even think of a subject to write them around
sooo
i'm a bit stuck O.O

my lyrics are never any good, i can't really make them deep or emotional (i think my autism might have something to do with it...if thats the case, i'm kind of screwed)

any tips for lyric writing is appreciated
*hugs*

samth1815

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Honestly there's not really any loophole to coming across a good idea, you just have to keep practicing! :wink:

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Dear god, I experience so much lyrics block. Even when I already have dozens of full instrumentals and themes for all of them I cannot for the life of me put any words together. But on the rare occasions that I do write some.... It's glorious.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Friendo, personally I'm impressed by how much you've been able to publish.

I've got so many wips that I've collected them into multiple hypothetical albums........

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
@Adlez27 i have a folder full of work in progress stuff xD one of my friends wrote a lot of the lyrics i use, she's way better at it than me.. we got bored one day so we put together a song (that is actually based off of our life experiences) called 'Jebus The Crab'
the lyrics are so all over the place but it was so fun to make

but i cant even make joking, funny lyrics, it just doesn't come to me xD

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
A lotta stuff ends up being dystopic, I tried to write a happier song about love once and it ended up being about how love was stifled by an oppressive society. Woops.

But honestly I can't trust anyone writing lyrics other than myself, because I also have to come up with the melody at the same time. And do harmonies and other background parts.

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
@Adlez27 i dont really enjoy relying on others, i really like doing it myself because it makes the song feel so much more original

Info-Chan

SELENA Developer
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
OH MAI GOSH WHATS UP MATROSHKA!!! :D and too write good lyrics think of a subject and think of rhyming words so here is what I just thought up it's for Kaito BTW
Ice cream I love, Ice cream I love it, it is so yummy (yummy) in my tummy (tummy) and I am an ice cream addict OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Ya Edit: it's me InfoUTAU

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
I would suggest to figure out what theme it would be about. Even if it ends upp being silly, clicé or cheesy it's just to get the flow going.
As for finding rhymes, synonyms, antonyms ect. I would recomend this site.

lcitkat

Teto's Territory
What i like to do is get references and explore different reading/writing styles. For example when you read a history book and a fanfic,it is written different,yes? Think about what feeling you're trying to convey,happiness,sadness,naivety,ignorance? When people are influenced by different emotions,their speech and thinking pattern gets affected. Try looking into feelins and reactions! Get references of different writing styles from anywhere,really,poems,books pv's on youtube,or pop songs! If you're writing in japanese,i would recommend reading up on sayings,hanakotoba and ofcourse the Japanese wikipage

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I have the opposite problem: I can write lyrics, but I can't do instrumentals to safe my (non-existent) first born child. To be perfectly honest, not everyone - even with all the self help, tips, tricks, and hacks - is a natural lyricist and/or capable of being a one-man-band. That's why many professional productions (for human and vocaloid) you see are often done in teams where one person does the lyrics, another (or more than one person) does the instrumentals, someone else does the vocaloid/utau tuning and rendering/mixing, and another does the artwork/PV. There's nothing wrong with not being able to do everything.

Reactions: AnnaDee and Tema

DragonflySpectrum

Ruko's Ruffians
It's the same with me, I'll be like:
Wow! This sounds cool! I should add vocals to this.
...Then I remember I suck at writing lyrics.

AnnaDee

Teto's Territory
You guys could try something else. Have you ever tried to make both the instrumental and lyrics (including melody) at the same time? It sounds confusing but it might help. When you make an instrumental (or when you write lyrics) you feel a little constrained, feeling you have a limitation. The lyrics may come into your mind if you go with the flow of the instrumental, I don't know.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
That's the only condition under which I can actually write usable lyrics. I NEVER write lyrics independently of the music, and anyone who writes lyrics without having the music while doing it is absolutely insane. (That, or a poet.)

The only problem is the writer's block, honestly. But yeah, lyrics? Always, always, ALWAYS, make the melody at the same time as you work on the entire song.

Reactions: AnnaDee

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
A lot of it is knowing English, understanding rhyme, meter, alliteration, short form storytelling and traditional aspects of poetry.

If you are interested in taking a course on it Coursea & The Berkeley School of Music offer a course of Songwriting and it is not songwriting in the musical sense but in the lyrical sense.

You analyze lyrics as a form of literature, find what works, what doesn't etc. and you can really learn a lot if you have the time. The next section stars mid October and I highly recommend it.

Reactions: Tema