Vocaloid How to give English Voicebanks that don’t have the 4 phoneme clear Japanese pronunciation

Discussion in 'Singing Robots General' started by Masuna, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Masuna

Masuna Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    I was fiddling around in vocaloid mobile and found a new way to emulate Japanese pronunciation with an English voice. A lot of people say to use the [l0] phoneme at a high consonant velocity to simulate a Japanese r, but even then, an American accent shines through. I’ve found that doing this can give an even more percussive simulation of the 4 phoneme (this was done in the Vocaloid Mobile Editor, so the interface may look a bit foreign haha). 29B3C417-EFCD-4957-A0AF-87CA7BF8EC79.jpeg in the short phrase “から”, I was able to get the ら sound by using a 16th [-] note before it, shortening the [d V] (or ra) note to a 32nd, and filling the rest of the space the note would fill with another [-] note.

But I’m not just going to be talking about emulating the 4 phoneme

Traditionally, Japanese t’s are much softer than English t’s, and we’d use the same method of shortening the [d] phoneme as pictured above to soften it up

Note: I’ve also found the @ phoneme to be a good replacement for a Japanese “o” (occasionally using @U based on the context of the @ note in use)

With a bit of finagling, your English voice could be singing mildly accurate Japanese in no time!

Another note: this method is recommended for Voicebanks with shallow u: phonemes (I.e. sonika, cyber diva, daina). Voices with a more heavyhanded u: (like Fukase English) may sound clunky

Here’s a cover I made using this method with cyber diva! (Sorry the mixing isn’t too great haha)

Have fun!

MillyAqualine and Damien like this.
  3. Damien

Damien Wannabe Worker Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Woo

Masuna likes this.
  4. Masuna

Masuna Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    Update: use the @ phoneme for a replacemt for o only for cyber diva, any other voice will use the O: phoneme as replacement

5. _caustic_

_caustic_ Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Some english banks have a "4" phoneme just an fyi.

Masuna likes this.
  6. Masuna

Masuna Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    yup! this post is about English voices that were before the era of the English 4 phoneme c:

7. katli10

katli10 Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Wow, this is awesome! When I was trying to make CYVA sing in Japanese I had issues with the R's and the T's, but this works perfectly! Thank you.

Masuna likes this.