Building my UTAU Site

samth1815

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
OK, so up until now I have been using a Free Weebly plan to build my UTAU website.

I've been thinking about upgrading to a pro plan on Weebly or perhaps moving elsewhere, since sometimes Weebly isn't as feature-rich as I would like.

I am also interested in purchasing a domain for my site, instead of using a subdomain.

So, I was wondering if people here could share their experience with other builders and such, and give me advice on where to go from here?

Just a few notes:

I would prefer to not use Tumblr. I would much rather use an actual site builder instead of rigging a blog to be a homepage, I don't feel that tumblr would be good for that.

If you think I should move elsewhere, please don't recommend something too overly costly, as I am not made of money :P

And if you think I should stay with Weebly and just upgrade my plan, could you give me tips on how to make the site nicer?

Thanks in advance!

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I honestly think you should reconsider using tumblr. A blog it may be, but it's quite feature rich while still being free, thousands of awesome themes are made for any type of blog/website & if you know enough code you can make & edit one yourself, & since it's a very popular site, it's easy to market your site for other UTAU users.

If you're adamant about not using tumblr, check out FC2 or Jimdo. I don't have a site myself but I've heard good things about them. Weebly is actually pretty good too, so if you don't like the free I think upgrading to pro is not a bad idea. Good luck!

Zarsla

ENG-JPN UTAU User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
RE:

I also recommend tumblr. However to use tumblr you need to know what you want and you may have to manipulate it to get it the way you want it to be. What I personally like about my tumblr site is I have it where all my downloads are direct downloads (except for the theme). So you pretty much get it once you've clicked it.

samth1815

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
RE:

stormylullaby said:
I honestly think you should reconsider using tumblr. A blog it may be, but it's quite feature rich while still being free, thousands of awesome themes are made for any type of blog/website & if you know enough code you can make & edit one yourself, & since it's a very popular site, it's easy to market your site for other UTAU users.

If you're adamant about not using tumblr, check out FC2 or Jimdo. I don't have a site myself but I've heard good things about them. Weebly is actually pretty good too, so if you don't like the free I think upgrading to pro is not a bad idea. Good luck!

Zarsla said:
I also recommend tumblr. However to use tumblr you need to know what you want and you may have to manipulate it to get it the way you want it to be. What I personally like about my tumblr site is I have it where all my downloads are direct downloads (except for the theme). So you pretty much get it once you've clicked it.

Yeah, I would use tumblr, but I don't know a way to NOT have the blog be the homepage, hah.

And yeah, I am thinking I might upgrade my Weebly. Still wondering about the domain name though.. I'll have to go searching.

Zarsla

ENG-JPN UTAU User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
samth1815 said:
stormylullaby said:

Zarsla said:

Yeah, I would use tumblr, but I don't know a way to NOT have the blog be the homepage, hah.

And yeah, I am thinking I might upgrade my Weebly. Still wondering about the domain name though.. I'll have to go searching.

You have to make a custom navigation bar in your tumblr theme, and then make a home page (either in standard or custom form) and then put that as your homepage into tumblr.

Or basically do this:

You'd basically replace the html that looks like this:
{block:HasPages}
{block:Pages}
<li>
<a href="{URL}" class="page">{Label} <i class="icon-arrow_carrot_right"></i></a>
</li>
{/block:Pages}
{/block:HasPages}
with this:
< ul >
<l. i><a
href="xxxx.tumblr.com/home">Home</a></li>
<l i><a
href="xxxx.tumblr.com/">Updates</a></li>
<l i><a
href="xxxx.tumblr.com/down">Downloads</a></li>
<l i><a
href="xxxx.tumblr.com/etc">link1</a></li>
<l i><a
href=" xxxx.tumblr.com/etc">link2</
a></li>
<l i><a
href=" xxxx.tumblr.com/etc">link3</
a></li>
</ ul >

I'd use to have a homepage in my tumblr theme but then I took it out because I found it really redundant.
(Also delete the spaces between the code because they're not need. I did that because utafourm was reading it and not showing up.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
RE:

If you need help making an UTAU website and want assistance I am available and have more than enough space on UtaForum/UTAU.me's server. You can either go with something WordPress powered or use one of the variety of web builders online. Poke me on Skype and I am sure we can come to some accord. I have been known to provide web assistance in exchange for UTAU favors and like.

samth1815

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
RE:

Hentai said:
If you need help making an UTAU website and want assistance I am available and have more than enough space on UtaForum/UTAU.me's server. You can either go with something WordPress powered or use one of the variety of web builders online. Poke me on Skype and I am sure we can come to some accord. I have been known to provide web assistance in exchange for UTAU favors and like.

Aah, thanks!!

Kc.Ohimesama

Momo's Minion
Sorry if I'm "digging this up" but... why not just learn how to program? On code academy there's a free build a professional site course. and On register you can get a custom domain for a dollar or so a year as long as you program the website yourself.