Which mic should i get?

LunaAkimine

Teto's Territory
So i'm looking for a good studio quality mic. Here's some requirements i'm looking for:
  • Must be high quality
  • No static. (Most mics have static. I was hoping for one with little/no static at all. Noise removal distorted my past voicebanks. Kind of.)
  • Budget - SGD$100~200
  • Little/no bugs/issues
  • USB mic if possible
  • Compatible with Windows 7
  • Doesn't record too much background noise (kind of contradicts myself if i want a hq mic but yea orz;;
So yea, since this utau is going to be my main utau...thingy, so i want her to be as good as some of the famous utaus and yea orz;; //perfectionist //shotdead//
so suggestions any?

LunaAkimine

Teto's Territory
yea.. but i wanted specifically a usb mic because my mic jack has a lot of static.. so yea orz;;

LunaAkimine

Teto's Territory
ah okay, but i'm still worried about statics... orz;; i'm worried about my money being wasted :/
//edit: i did a lot of research and i found out that blue yeti gives a bit of problems for windows 7 toshiba (what i'm using) so i'm not really sure whether or not it's a good choice orz;;

Fawkesy

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I have Windows 7, on a Toshiba. And my Yeti works perfectly fine. You just need to maybe change the gain, use the Cardioid setting, and maybe go into the sound options once you plug it in and mess with it until you get it sounding how you want.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It really depends on your usage. Is this something you are only going to use once or something you want with you for a long time and with possible room to grow?

If you want something simple with a USB interface that is high quality then the Audio-Technica AT2020 USB Condenser Microphone is very popular and is pretty damn nice quality. If you are spending this much on an 'enthusiast' level mic you will probably want a shockmount & popfilter aswell to get the best results. The Nandy SSPF-4 Spider Shockmount with Integrated Pop Filter is both in one, cheaper than buying them separately, looks freaking slick on a desk or boom, and works well with the AT2020.

If you want something more versatile with room to grow you can go with a USB Mixer or a USB Audio Interface and use a variety of choice analog gear. This lets you more easily change out microphones, maybe get specialty ones for recording your instrument of choice, or depending on what hardware you buy direct-record instruments or expand into a multi-man podcast by adding additional mics.

Really think about what you are using it fore and we can probably provide a better recommendation.

cubialpha

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
A-Audio-Technica? I think my other laptop has that mic built into it. WOW. I had no idea I had such a good built-in mic...

michaeleliable

Momo's Minion
Blue Yeti Pro. Hands down, it's usb, records 24bit audio (thats geek for amazing quality sound) But it cost about $230. Try to save more money though if possible. Or just get the regular Blue Yeti, it's the same, just it dosent record the same amazing sound quality.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Re: Which mic should i get?

Agree with Aster. Sound wise there is not much of a diff between a Yet and a Yeti Pro. The #1 difference is the Yeti Pro also includes an XLR port so you can use it with pro audio gear and mixers. Unless you REALLY need both analog and digital at the same time tis mostly unnecisary. Even if you did need both the USB mixer route would be more up your alley.

That being said I still recommend the AT2020, its easier to get accesories for Audio-Technica products. I got a Blue Snowball and as sexy as the thing is tis impossible to find a shockmount that works with it aside from the Blue Ringer, which I have been trying to avoid due to its massive bulk. Plus that shockmount costs more than I paid for my mic!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

LunaAkimine

Teto's Territory
mind = blown
so there's yeti, yeti pro, snowball and AT2020
does anyone have any like sound samples or something?
like just record nothing, and see if there is static or if it record a lot of background noises (like wind blowing gently outside the window ._. )

michaeleliable

Momo's Minion
USB Mic Shootout: Review & Audio Comparison - Blue Yeti vs Snowball vs Audio Technica AT2020 This show a comparison between the snowball, yeti, and the audiotechnica. You can search yeti vs yeti for that comparison. Also for recording, Put a thick blanket over your head and microphone, so muffle outside noise. I'm not sure if their is a video for recording nothing, but you cloud look around. Just one neg about the yeti pro though. Since it recorded at such a high quality, it may pick up background noise easier

LunaAkimine

Teto's Territory
okay.. uhms does static affects the UTAUloid's voice in UTAU?
because when i record in my headset it has a bit of static, so i did noise removal that caused it to  sound muffled. but i'm not sure whether static affects the UTAUloid's voice.