What do you think of my little brother's first utau?

jasmin00

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
So my little brother made (actually some notes are missing)
own utau, and he want's critique !! ^^
So Mathias (Utau) have really bad oto , but it was my first time ever ^^'
He have design now! ^^

https://soundcloud.com/jasmin-haapala/utau-mathias-demoo-xd

Kayne

Teto's Territory
I'm new to this forum but I will give this a go.

The oto does need to be tweaked a bit but its alright for a first timer. The voice bank quality is actually pretty good, it brings a powerful tone and has a lot of potential. I would love to see this as a vcv.

jasmin00

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
@Kayne
Thank you for critique! Ö v < ~

@meichan

Exsume me...??

Alex

Teto's Territory
I can't help with the design, but I have to say I really like the voice!! He has potential uvu If you need oto help I'd be more than glad to give you some tips.

jasmin00

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
@Alex

Thank you! My brother is really happy now! ^^
And of course you can give some tips! >w<

Alex

Teto's Territory
I'm glad he's happy!! :creepygrin:

There's not one certain way to oto for every bank, and every person has a different way to do it, but this is how I usually do things. I'm putting it in a spoiler because it's long and image heavy oops

First of all, explanations of what everything does! If you already know you can skip this, I just thought it might be useful. uvu

Alias is a different name for your note. In japanese banks it's mostly used for romaji to hiragana conversion, so your UTAU can sing in both. (eg. a.wav = あ)

Offset cuts off the sound in the beginning, like silence and consonants that are too long.

Consonant is the pink part that covers any sound that you don't want stretched when playing the note; so the note's consonant, and a bit of the vowel. I usually leave it between 100-120.

Cutoff is the opossite of offset, it cuts off sound in the end. Just use it where your voice starts to drop.

Preutterance and Overlap have to do with... how the consonant sounds after another note? It's hard to explain haha, they're both important though! Preutterance goes where the consonant sound ends. The overlap depends on the preutterance and the sound you're editing. As a general rule, preutterance goes after overlap, and it's not recommended for both to have the same value.

When you're editing the notes, you can press "P" to hear how it sounds the way it is now, and "s" to see the spectrum table. Both are really useful if you're unsure! The spectrum table is like this btw, it's a more detailed version of your sound file.

17ma.png

Vowels are the easiest. Just use offset and cutoff properly, and drag the consonant to 90-ish. Preutterance and overlap are both set to 0.

q1ma.png

In short consonants like "k" and "t" (and anything similar like g, d, b, p etc.) leave the offset either where the note starts, or a little farther in if it's too long or it sounds weird. The overlap should be close to the beginning, or somewhere in the middle.

t57f.png

4692.png

The same goes for sounds like "bya", "kya" and anything of the sort. Make sure to press P a lot and see if it sounds fine.

hbt0.png

j4kt.png

Consonants like "s", "sh", "ts", "h", "j" and "z" are long, and they're tricky and kinda harder. Your preutterance might be really long here, and that's good! But it's better if it's not bigger than 70, maybe 75 at most. I prefer if it's at 50-65, but it all depends on the specific note. Put the overlap at about 1/3 of the preutterance.

b8r5.png

e8vs.png

wbsz.png

continued due to image limit

Continued due to image limit, I hope double posting is fine in this case. If it's not then I'm sorry. ;n;

With sounds like "n" and "m", you don't want the preutterance to be too long, and I usually leave it and the overlap pretty close.

vfbv.png

"Y" and "W" sounds are confusing, since, they're neither consonants or vowels haha, here it's best if you just experiment. Try testing with other notes after you've done editing, if it doesn't sound right just redo.

o83g.png

8mj0.png

I think that's all!! I'll post some more images so you have more examples.

s9sv.png

ugrk.png

skxd.png

zekt.png

5fgx.png

xanz.png

hkal.png

I really hope this helped you, and if you have any questions just ask!! ^^

HiddenVenia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
meichan said:
alex - your otos make me feel ill

that's not even kind of right
Is it really necessary to be rude to young kids? Don't you have anything better to do?

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Alex don't worry your oto-ing is fine, friend. :annoyed:

I oto Iris in a similar way(albeit my vowels and "n" sound are done differently but like you said oto's can be done differently so~). When it comes to CV otos there is no air-tight uniform way of oto-ing things one CV UTAUs oto will vary from anothers.

As for the UTAU at hand...I really like his voice. ouo When his oto's get tightened up I'd like to hear him again or even use him myself~ Unfortunately I suck at designs so I can't help there ;;

jasmin00

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
@Alex
Thank you, you helped me a lot! Thanks a ton! ;;w;;

@meichan
I don't want to be rude, but why you are so rude?
I remember when I watched your tutorials from youtube, and I tough, "I think she is very nice person"
When read that you was rude from different threads, I was really confused, because I tough that you're not rude, but...now I cant say that like anymore. Today I watched your videos and..you're little bit rude for other utau users. Sorry if I was rude, I know that I'm just only one stupid kid.

@HiddenVenia
Yeah, I agree with you!

@IrisFlower
Yee~
My little brother is very happy now! :smile:
We will try to do his vb ready very soon ovo
And that's alright if you can't help with the desiqn ^v^
If you want, I can send the download link for his vb, when it's ready, and otoed ^^

Alex

Teto's Territory
meichan said:
alex - your otos make me feel ill

that's not even kind of right
okay?? thanks? that's very helpful

@IrisFlower thanks though uvu and you're welcome jasmin!! I'm sure you and your bro will get the hang of things soon