VOCALOID3?

What is your opinion of VOCALOID3?

• I really like it! The characters seem promising and I like a lot of the voices!

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Ehh... It could be better. Some character designs are cool, some voicebanks are nice, but, it isn\'t

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don\'t like it at all. It\'s horrible.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chihaya

Momo's Minion
A-Ahh, I was just interested in seeing the different opinions of those concerning VOCALOID3. I know in my personal perspective I'm more of an indifferent, in-between character, liking a few of the charaters and voice-banks, but the majority-wise I was most avoidant.

I-I wasn't exactly sure how to categorize everything as simply "yes", "no" or "somewhat", seeing as how everyone has their own opinion about things and whether or not [preferrably] if one'd explain themselves. S-So sorry if the options possibly seem really tied into one another or bad, I-I wasn't sure how to put it. //;;

Option One is pretty much "yes", Option Two" is "in the middle, iffy, etc." and Option Three is strictly "No".

I'd go with the indifferent option, but that's just my personal opinion. u w u

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Eh, I can't say I entirely hate Vocaloid3, but it upsets me. We have five bajillion female, same voice type with only slight difference in pronunciation and tone, being released by Japan, and it makes me mad at them. Every other country is doing amazing - Bruno and Clara are fantastic, Oliver is adorable and fills a gap, the Chinese ones look promising, and though SeeU has her issues she opened some dorrs. Japan? Five million girls who sound mostly the same and a shonen. I am dissapoint.

(I could rant forever but I need to stop...)

Ono

Teto's Territory
Meh. I have neutral feelings with Vocaloid3
The only thing that I really, really liked coming out of it is Oliver and Bruno.
I would like to hear some more male voices~
Like Shinami said, they seem to poop out more and more female voices with almost the same voice type. Not only that. When SeeU premiered with I=Fantasy, it made me believe Vocaloid3 was going to sound very human-like.

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
Eh, I can't say I entirely hate Vocaloid3, but it upsets me. We have five bajillion female, same voice type with only slight difference in pronunciation and tone, being released by Japan, and it makes me mad at them. Every other country is doing amazing - Bruno and Clara are fantastic, Oliver is adorable and fills a gap, the Chinese ones look promising, and though SeeU has her issues she opened some dorrs. Japan? Five million girls who sound mostly the same and a shonen. I am dissapoint.

(I could rant forever but I need to stop...)
Should I recreate the Rant Thread?

On-Topic:
Pretty much Option Two.

Kodakami

Momo's Minion
My reason for picking the top choice is because of VOCALOID3's ability to sequence English consonant phonemes much more realistically then V2. I assume that the engine itself was part of this poll too.

aquatius

Momo's Minion
New engine is much better than V2, although it has an annoying layout. The new voices are quite disappointing so far; apart from Bruno none of them stand out or appeal to me very much.

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
V3 probably has one huge issue... The expectations of the fandom/the first demos that are released way too early. A combination of both, maybe.

At the moment, I like 3 of them. Aoki Lapis (haters gonna hate, okay?), IA and Bruno. Aoki isn't released yet and fits the moe-profile, which doesn't make her popular, IA has too many demos, all with different settings and Bruno IS IMPOSSIBLE TO BUY! YOU KNOW HOW ANNOYING THAT IS?

Otherwise, I also think the fandom acts spoiled towards new voices. Comparisions are EVERYWHERE which doesn't do new releases any good. People seem to forget that V2 had a lot of progress with voices as well, and they immediately want the best for a newly released engine. Can't do that.

Otherwise, I think everything's fine...

faerimagic

Ruko's Ruffians
I'm just one of the people who love new things. (Just keep em comin!)
As such, I really don't exactly have a favorite Vocaloid, they're all equally nice to me.
But I would like to see a mature male voice, but the only hope with that is the Kaito Append.
Oh. Crud. Forgot Bruno. Durrr.
There's like, just so many Vocaloids coming out, but since they all have their own unique voice/character art, I'm cool with them.

I think this is because I can't actually own a Vocaloid yet, so I'm just looking forward to having more available characters to fanart. (And yes, I just turned that into a verb. ._.")

tady159

Ruko's Ruffians
I think that V3's engine isn't THAT MUCH better tahn V2's. There ARE some small fixes, but the V2s imported to it still sound mostly the same. It is NOT a miraculous engine that fixes the vocaloid's failures, and doesn't sound much more realistic than V2. I go with option two on the poll. Specially cause they almost REMOVED the opening parameter, removing them from the singer editor, and transforming it in a non-dynamic parameter on the control track.
Concerning designs, I don't care about them as much as I care about the voices and quality. So far, only IA from Japan called my attention, being the other nipoloids not outstanding for me at all. I liked Clara and Bruno a lot, and I'd even buy them if I had the money. VY1V3 I liked a bit, cause I also liked her V2 version, and from Gumi's Extends, I only liked the Power Extend. About the other V3s in general, I didn't like at all.

DianaTan

Teto's Territory
I'm really disappointed about it D=
I expected a bit more uniqueness between the voices and better quality
The designs are okay though
The more promising Vocaloids are the non-Japanese ones, they have potential
The only Vocaloids I like from V3 are Cul, Oliver and Clara
I liked IA during her demo time but know... urgh... she sounds kind of flat =/ (only my opinion orz)

aquatius

Momo's Minion
tady159 link said:
I think that V3's engine isn't THAT MUCH better tahn V2's. There ARE some small fixes, but the V2s imported to it still sound mostly the same.
Except for consonant velocity that actually does something, less buzzy samples, a more effective opening parameter, being able to have backing tracks in the editor and applying effects to tracks, being able to have job plugins, etc. It's a large collection of fairly small changes, but overall it is quite a difference.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Why would you even want your backing tracks/effects in the editor? I understand it might help in sequencing but you will end up doing your main mixdown in post anyways.

Vocaloid should stick with what its good at. Voice synthesis rather then trying to be some miracle all-in-one solution where one size fits none. In many ways I am interpreting it as the Yamaha development team loosing focus.

aquatius

Momo's Minion
Hentai link said:
Why would you even want your backing tracks/effects in the editor? I understand it might help in sequencing but you will end up doing your main mixdown in post anyways.

Vocaloid should stick with what its good at. Voice synthesis rather then trying to be some miracle all-in-one solution where one size fits none. In many ways I am interpreting it as the Yamaha development team loosing focus.
While I agree it's much better to do all that in post-production, it does at least help slow the slew of cookie-cutter unedited covers. And the ability to use vsq plugins in the editor in general is useful imo, even if only to gauge whether or not to use them later. I'm not saying it's a huge plus, but it's nice to have the choice. Having the backing track in the editor, on the other hand, is a godsend. It lets you create vsqs without having to create a midi first and lets you sort out timing issues much easier.

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Those un-edited covers don't have anything to do with the engine though. It's all about people not knowing what parameters are.

Misha

Momo's Minion
VOCALOID 3 in terms of software is fine. I'm excited to give it a try when a V3 comes out that i would definitely buy.  (I dont find much point in talking about the amount of banks because thats not the programs fault)

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
I love the wav import tool. It's EXTREMELY helpful in determining if your editing/notes are fitting the off-vocal! I doubt the mixer was ever meant to be a permanent solution, it's handy for amateurs but it's also handy in, as I said above, making sure everything you're doing "fits" while you're working.

I haven't noticed much change in voice quality between engines. If anything, the only noticable fixes have been with Big Al: some consonants seem to blend a little better into the vowels? But it's nothing huge.

Though guys, complaining about un-unique voices is something to bring up with the companies and market, not the software xD A new engine won't be the "revolution" we want for unique sounding voices, a change in market statistics will.
V3 has potential, the problem is that all the companies have decided that young shoujo females sell the best, which unfortunately, is generally true. Mew and Tone Rion have been the most unique voices out of all, IMO. Mew has a nice deep womanly huskiness to her voice, and Rion has a cute accent we haven't heard before even though she's still in the "young female" range.

LupinAKAFlashTH

DEX's Voice Provider. Woah.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I enjoy VOCALOID 3 as a software vocal-synthesizer very much.  The .wav import tool is handy in case you're not sure if everything is on time or on pitch, and general quality seems better to me.  (Please note I'm going off of V3 banks only, not V2 -> V3.)
The velocity parameter works now.
And did I hear "hidden phonemes" for some of the banks?
Also the drag-and-drop sounds for some of the banks are good too.  I'm aware Oliver still uses the br# system though.

I'm not sure if this is on-topic in any form, but not only Mew and Tone Rion have unique voices.  IA has mature female voice, Aoki Lapis has a voice I personally think is charming compared to most of the other less-mature voices in the female department, and when VY2v3 comes around, oh look, an almost normal sounding male voice has appeared that I can actually refrain from calling Soprano or Bass/Baritone.  (Which is partially contradictory to my earlier statement about going off of V3 banks only, however VY2v3 and VY1v3 are entirely re-recorded for the VOCALOID 3 engine, compared to the V2->V3 banks which make new samples out of already existing samples.) Bruno has a similar voice-type that I can call young-male without being too young like the following, kind of in the 18-26 range, and Oliver has a timbre that is commonly unseen in the younger male-voices off VOCALOID in general, as he was actually voiced by a similarly-aged boy.  Check that out- they found a good people to record, that's for sure.  And if anything, all of the V3 banks I've noticed have had more VOCALOID type traditions in mind- a lot of collaboration between artists, not even before release, especially for IA.  Lia, 1st Place, various producers, various artists, even an MMD model was made before release (a very EXCELLENT MMD model, may I add), all working to make a VOCALOID known.  I'll be honest- I didn't like the marketing scheme as much as usual, though it definitely shows that companies are actually paying attention to fans for inspiration, and that's what I think counts.  Vocalo Labs / whatever its called, the company that made Bruno and Clara, you know who I mean, they held a contest and used the winning art as the box-art, which was, too me, shocking!  No other Vocaloid company had done it before, save Sonika, who had something like it in the form of three short comics instead.  (Big-Al's boxart was created by the same person, if I recall, but I don't remember if they were hired as a graphic designer or something or not, or just commissioned.)  SeeU, too- a whole lot of producers and artists, working together (with whatever the company is) to promote a VOCALOID, and I have to say, they did very well- SeeU is near the top of the list of VOCALOIDs I should get (though I probably will fail at using her simply because it requires hangul input, if I recall correctly).

There is A LOT for me to talk about.  But I personally think that Vocaloid 3 is making things quite for accessible for everyone. 

Skeyi

Teto's Territory
In comparison to the V2 editor, the V3 editor is a HUGE improvement.
It's much easier to tune / change singers / mix / etc.
in practically everything. It's much more organized as well.

In terms of voices, their qualities are slightly improved when imported.
But nonetheless, VY1V3 isn't much a noticeable improvement.

In terms of voicebanks, I'm very disappointed.
Many of the voices are sounding rather similar.
For example, CUL sounds like a rougher Gumi. Meiko Append sounds slightly like IA, and the latter doesn't have a voice that interests me.
In my opinion, I feel as though SeeU, Mew, and Bruno / Clara are the only original-sounding voices for V3.
And there are a ridiculous lack of male vocals.

CHAOSinDaHaUs

Teto's Territory
Honestly there is only one Vocaloid in Vocaloid3 i hate is Rion -__- SeeU has her faults but sheonly sounds bad if you don't use her right and actually IA is pretty good but i do agree that japanese Vocaloids are always plagarising each other and i do agree that Aoki does sound a bit like a v3 miku append but she does have a bit of a difference she is more breathy. and i do like CUL she sounds promising and i can't wait to see the english VY vocaloids and the chinese v3s