Vocal Therapy, tips & advices needed

TakeruInudo

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
So when I was a kid I had surgery done on my vocal chords because I had developed polyps, but they only did one side because the another side with polyps were too small to remove.

After the surgery I was super quiet & rarely talked so when I entered HS I talked waaaaay more then I ever did lol but the sudden change & then trying to get into singing without gradually getting into it has pretty much worsened what polyps I had from last time & more then likely have developed even more.

I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow & more then likely I'll have to have surgery, so when that happens does anyone have any good tips/advices/exercises that I could do so that I don't ruin my voice again like I did before.

I would really appreciate the help, I really want to get back into UTAU but with how my voice is it's just too terrible.

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It's best to have a professional evaluate you, preferably an actual doctor since vocal coaches can't look down your throat.

If you want to mind anything that's therapeutic then lip rolls/bubbles/trills and a very safe exercise along with vocal frying.

The Vocal Fry video sucks but it at least tells you what it is, for the love of god don't do screamo vocal fry or you might catch fire.

Also if you are evaluated to be able to safely be able to use your voice then this series on youtube is great for vocal warm ups:

Last edited:

TakeruInudo

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
There is no substitute for having a doctor and voice coach familiar with your particular situation. It is unusual to have vocal polyps at a young age.

Well when I was younger I used to do screeching noises a lot, so doing that seemed to be my main cause for it from what the doctors could speculate.
[doublepost=1492518305][/doublepost]
It's best to have a professional evaluate you, preferably an actual doctor since vocal coaches can't look down your throat.

If you want to mind anything that's therapeutic then lip rolls/bubbles/trills and a very safe exercise along with vocal frying.

The Vocal Fry video sucks but it at least tells you what it is, for the love of god don't do screamo vocal fry or you might catch fire.

Also if you are evaluated to be able to safely be able to use your voice then this series on youtube is great for vocal warm ups:

They never sent me to a vocal coach after I had surgery to avoid the polyps from developing again, I guess they didn't think it was a big deal back then because I wasn't trying to get into singing & what not at the age of 6 :/

I'll be sure to try those excersizes as well (I had wanted to today but both me & my son just developed terrible colds so both of us can barely soeak now x'D )

TakeruInudo

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
So the vocal fry is apparently my default voice half the time lol I just thought my voice was retarded but I didn't know it was an actual thing. I definitely have told lift my cheeks a little for the lip rolls because I cannot hold it after 2 seconds & I don't understand how it is so difficult for me lol

I'll be practicing these until the 2nd since that is when my appointment is.