UTAU "popping"/"breaking" for certain notes

soleil

Teto's Territory
Hi guys,

Sorry if someone has already asked this but I looked everywhere and I couldn't find anything that has a similar issue as I do!

I'm a first time UTAU user and I tried to make a VCV bank, but for some of my notes I'm experiencing a weird breaking/popping noise. I'm not sure if this is a problem with my recording or my OTOing because I've tried rerecording and editing my OTOs and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I've attached some audio files below to let you guys know what I'm talking about.

https://voca.ro/2f4nRZsE4oE

Like in this file, at :12/:13 ish the "ri" and "ke" both pop a bit.

https://voca.ro/d77ZDwyG9Dl

and in n this file, at :02/03 ish the vowels pop.

Has anyone experienced something like this before?
LMK if anyone needs to see more from me!

Big_B

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Hello!

I'm a noob too, but I remember that I have a similar problem like you. So, I'm going to tell you what I do and what, for me, it could be.

I was using a VB named Lafiniti (CV) and I wanted to make an effect in one note of my song, so I go to the note property and change the preutturance values.

The preutturance was the culprit for it, I don't know why exactly, but I think that it's because the preu is going to make everything before it play before the note itself. If it has a clipping or the preutturance is fit wrongly, like in the middle of the sound, it can make this clipping sound.

So I think you should look to your OTO and edit the preu value. Try to put exactly where the two sounds is going to transition. For example:

If you have a clipping "i-ke" try to put the preu right in the trasition of the "i" to the "ke";

or avoid put the preutturance in the middle of the note and put it in the end of the consonant like in the sound "-ke" try to put it in the end of the "k" and in the begining of the "e" sound.

But if it doesn't work maybe it's an FRQ error. Some resamplers do the same as utau, create a new FRQ file, but most of them use the normal resample's FRQ file.

I think you was using the utau's resample, so I believe that you just need to go to FRQ editor and edit the FRQ file.

You have to go to your "voicebank configuration" and then click in a box named by "FRQ editor', it's at the "Generate Frequency Map" box.

There you will see your sound and an blue (or red if it's selected) line. I won't tell you how to do it because it's already a lot of tutorials teaching how to do this procces, but you have to mantain the blue line as straight as possible. It doesn't need to be necessarily straight, but straight as possible. Did you understand?

Well, if you have already did everything here and the sound still clipping so it can really be the recording. I don't believe it's the recording because if was that I think you could hear the clipping sound.

Try to listen the sample and detect a clipping sound, in this moment you can use an equalizer to hear and cut the clipping sound from your sample.

I hope that I could help you.

(Ps: I loved your vb's voice)

See ya ~ ^^

Last edited:

soleil

Teto's Territory
Thanks!! esp for the fast reply i'm so shocked

I'm gonna give it a shot!

I've been editing the preu value a lot and for some poppy samples it works but on others it doesnt ;;;;; it's so frustrating
I'm on a mac so I'm not sure if I can look at the FRQ file, but I have a PC with UTAU on it...

I'm not sure if I should just move the whole bank over?

Hello!

I'm a noob too, but I remember that I have a similar problem like you. So, I'm going to tell you what I do and what, for me, it could be.

I was using a VB named Lafiniti (CV) and I wanted to make an effect in one note of my song, so I go to the note property and change the preutturance values.

The preutturance was the culprit for it, I don't know why exactly, but I think that it's because the preu is going to make everything before it play before the note itself. If it has a clipping or the preutturance is fit wrongly, like in the middle of the sound, it can make this clipping sound.

So I think you should look to your OTO and edit the preu value. Try to put exactly where the two sounds is going to transition. For example:

If you have a clipping "i-ke" try to put the preu right in the trasition of the "i" to the "ke";

or avoid put the preutturance in the middle of the note and put it in the end of the consonant like in the sound "-ke" try to put it in the end of the "k" and in the begining of the "e" sound.

But if it doesn't work maybe it's an FRQ error. Some resamplers do the same as utau, create a new FRQ file, but most of them use the normal resample's FRQ file.

I think you was using the utau's resample, so I believe that you just need to go to FRQ editor and edit the FRQ file.

You have to go to your "voicebank configuration" and then click in a box named by "FRQ editor', it's at the "Generate Frequency Map" box.

There you will see your sound and an blue (or red if it's selected) line. I won't tell you how to do it because it's already a lot of tutorials teaching how to do this procces, but you have to mantain the blue line as straight as possible. It doesn't need to be necessarily straight, but straight as possible. Did you understand?

Well, if you have already did everything here and the sound still clipping so it can really be the recording. I don't believe it's the recording because if was that I think you could hear the clipping sound.

Try to listen the sample and detect a clipping sound, in this moment you can use an equalizer to hear and cut the clipping sound from your sample.

I hope that I could help you.

(Ps: I loved your vb's voice)

See ya ~ ^^

Reactions: Big_B

Big_B

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Thanks!! esp for the fast reply i'm so shocked

I'm gonna give it a shot!

I've been editing the preu value a lot and for some poppy samples it works but on others it doesnt ;;;;; it's so frustrating
I'm on a mac so I'm not sure if I can look at the FRQ file, but I have a PC with UTAU on it...

I'm not sure if I should just move the whole bank over?

Np, I'm glad that I could help you! ^^

I think it's the best to move the whole VB to the PC cuz I think you can't edit the FRQ file without the ".wav"/sample.