UST timing goes wrong when converted to VCV

Auoric

Teto's Territory
I was told to post here for help instead of the intros page.

I'm currently making my first UST. I'm having problems with the timing. The timing is okay when I put it on CV however, when I use the lyric diphoniser input to convert to VCV, the timing is all wrong. Syllables seem to overlap each other. I tested this on USTs made by other people, it does the same thing. What do I do? Thank you!

zipperworks

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
VCV voicebanks need to be fit to USTs in order to render properly.

I do this typically by doing a general reset. First, select all your notes and reset all your envelopes (it's the far right button on the bottom row of buttons in the top bar, at least in my setup).
Then, with all notes still selected, right click and select the bottom-most option, "Region Property." In the dialogue box that appears, if there's a little down arrow that says "Details," click that.
You want to set Modulation to 0, clear Preutterance and Overlap, and also clear STP down in the section that appears when you click "Details" (just typing a space in there will do the trick).
Say OK and then press the following buttons, in this order: ACPT, P2P3, ACPT. (They're also in the bottom row of buttons in the top bar and off to the right, in the same group as reset envelopes.)

Now try rendering again. That should have fit your bank to the UST and it should fix the slurring issues, presuming the bank you're using is properly configured.

Reactions: Auoric and Aeroza

Auoric

Teto's Territory
VCV voicebanks need to be fit to USTs in order to render properly.

I do this typically by doing a general reset. First, select all your notes and reset all your envelopes (it's the far right button on the bottom row of buttons in the top bar, at least in my setup).
Then, with all notes still selected, right click and select the bottom-most option, "Region Property." In the dialogue box that appears, if there's a little down arrow that says "Details," click that.
You want to set Modulation to 0, clear Preutterance and Overlap, and also clear STP down in the section that appears when you click "Details" (just typing a space in there will do the trick).
Say OK and then press the following buttons, in this order: ACPT, P2P3, ACPT. (They're also in the bottom row of buttons in the top bar and off to the right, in the same group as reset envelopes.)

Now try rendering again. That should have fit your bank to the UST and it should fix the slurring issues, presuming the bank you're using is properly configured.

I tried your method on USTs made by other people; it worked like a charm! Unfortunately, when I applied it to my UST, it did not work. My UST is still bare. It does not have any form of tuning. It only has the notes. Does that explain why it doesn't work on my UST?

zipperworks

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I tried your method on USTs made by other people; it worked like a charm! Unfortunately, when I applied it to my UST, it did not work. My UST is still bare. It does not have any form of tuning. It only has the notes. Does that explain why it doesn't work on my UST?

No, the timing should be in place regardless of the tuning.

My initial thought, if it's not a bank-fitting issue, is that perhaps your tempo is off? Sometimes UTAU imports MIDI tempos at like 40000 or something crazy, so it might be worth it to double-check and make sure your tempo is consistent and correct throughout.

It's been a while since I had my hat in the ring of UST-making, though, so it's quite possible that someone else would know better than me on this matter.

Reactions: Auoric

Auoric

Teto's Territory
No, the timing should be in place regardless of the tuning.

My initial thought, if it's not a bank-fitting issue, is that perhaps your tempo is off? Sometimes UTAU imports MIDI tempos at like 40000 or something crazy, so it might be worth it to double-check and make sure your tempo is consistent and correct throughout.

It's been a while since I had my hat in the ring of UST-making, though, so it's quite possible that someone else would know better than me on this matter.
I checked the tempo and it's consistent throughout. I still have no clue why it does this. The problem only arises at the part where there is a sequence of eighth notes. On other parts where it uses quarter notes, it is not a problem. Thank you for the tips!