Thoughts on Crypton type outfits

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
So I was wondering since nowadays, most utau bearing a Crypton-type design would be looked down upon and even ignored, the reason for its popularity and acceptance back when UTAU was still fresh and new. Do you think it has something to do with the vipperloids and their popularity, or was this just the normal thing to put in a design?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Yes to both, it was the norm to take inspiration from the cryptonloids and vippers. Nowadays people recognize than an UTAU is really an OC plus a voicebank. An OC can be anything, and therefore an UTAU.

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Yes to both, it was the norm to take inspiration from the cryptonloids and vippers. Nowadays people recognize than an UTAU is really an OC plus a voicebank. An OC can be anything, and therefore an UTAU.
I figured as such, since a lot of the vippers had some element of crypton in their design, but now a lot of people say it's become overused over the years.

Skiyoshi 十三

Lotus#12915
Defender of Defoko
It was likely very common, because people wanted their OC to look like a vocal synth singer. It's only natural to copy or take huge inspiration from the most popular, when they should try and put their original spin on it and think outside the box.

Reactions: Arissa

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Back when the community was new, Vocaloid had just gained considerable traction with Crypton's CV series. Naturally, the first thing creators did to get it recognized was to parody the most prevalent example of the time: Miku and Crypton's mix of mundane school fuku + cyber/technical aesthetic. It's kind of necessary to give people something familiar when saying 'Here's a thing that allows you to do this without piracy or going broke! Now you can make your own Vocaloid-like voice!'

Now, there's no need to cite the CV series for inspiration. There are so many unique Vocaloid that if anything, you look ignorant to the rest of the community and there's likely an unspoken stigma if you don't speak of or know about Vocaloids outside of the Big 8. It's normal progression that when a program starts to stand apart from and differentiate itself from its competitor, people start to move away from trends that used to be common. People get older, get more inspired and informed, come up with more original ideas, and they no longer feel the urge to play follow the leader or just be a copycat.

m170

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
EDIT: SORRY I JUST SAW HOW OLD THIS THREAD IS IM SORRY FOR NECRO-ING IT BUT I SOMEHOW CAME ACROSS THIS OOPS
I think its wrong if you copy off an idea too much (cough cough those people who just give an outfit to their UTAU that looks like miku's but recolored or sailor fuku that looks like a combination of rin and mikus outfit cough cough) and a plain sailor fuku is a bit too unoriginal and quite frankly a bit boring.
I think the arm warmer thing is okay and the skirt/belt chain is okay too. So are some neck ties. Thigh highs are also okay, they're pretty. Ive actually heard some people bashing on thigh highs as if crypton invented and owns thigh highs smh. These things i said previously are generally okay in my opinion as long as not too many of them are used together in a design( i mean yeah crypton didn't invent arm warmers and stuff but obviously if you have a UTAU OC who wears thigh highs, a tie, arm warmers together then yes its going to remind them of vocaloid.)
So a few of the crypton accessories are okay to use but just don't rip off too much. then thats kinda like design theft.

Yinitara

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I don't think there isn't anything bad with creating something similar to the Crypton designs so long as people are innovative and add their own spin to it vs straight up copying the designs.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
EDIT: SORRY I JUST SAW HOW OLD THIS THREAD IS IM SORRY FOR NECRO-ING IT BUT I SOMEHOW CAME ACROSS THIS OOPS
Necroing is allowed in the forum and even encouraged! No need to worry about necroing threads :uhuhu:

I believe that Crypton-inspired designs itself are bad rather that most people who go for a Crypton-esque look tend to handle deriving the formula badly which makes most people irk them. In fact, there are some amazing designs that are obviously Crypton-inspired such as Crecia Selestewa's Aster design which looks absolutely amazing :love:

P

partial

I'm a sucker for everything about Len Crypton designs, I won't lie. As long as the design has somewhat of a unique twist and the colors aren't absolutely blinding, I enjoy seeing Crypton designs for UTAU.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
lol even now ppl reply to this...!! >.< Interesting points, can't remember if I ever mentioned this, but I also thought sticking with the trend for a design would be rather limiting in trying to subvert from a common trend, since a crypto/miku-based outfit already has a piece of that commoness from the start. But it would be nice to see some people turn things around while still incorporating these elements(although I'm likely to be more interested in unique and original designs ^^; )

someguyperson

i am no longer exist
Defender of Defoko
oh lord its october now aint it uhhhhhhhhhh,,,
Anyway, other Crypton things would be like the outfit (Maybe skirts/sleeves/etc) having technology or being related or designed like a piece of tech (usually from yamaha lmao) and I do like that as a thing but again it's kinda overused. I see people legit frowning on people who make Crypton like designs, which defo pulled me away from making one.

Irinta

Momo's Minion
This thread is literally like 3 years old BUT I agree that designs that are too similar to cryptons or vipperloids are a bit unoriginal but I actually really love designs that draw inspiration from them a bit because I like that kind of fashion and it gives me nostalgia about the early 2000s vocaloid/utau era that I miss a lot!