重音テト (Kasane Teto) English Cover WIP

kristian-dee

Momo's Minion
Heyyo. I'm currently working on a cover for Kasane Teto. Since I like Ariana Grande's music (heaven forbid..), I wanted to see how Teto's voice would sound in one of Grande's songs. Lmao. Here it is. Into You.

Please critique where needed. It's still a WIP, and I'm trying my best to fine-tune her English and the harmonies/BGV.

P

partial

I think she sounds really wonderful! This is really good!

I'm no good at critique so I don't have much to say as a base for improvement hah

Reactions: kristian-dee

JVウタウ

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Hey! Although I have a liiittle experience at using English UTAU voicebanks I made and tuned an original with one, but I' m pretty bad at phonemes orz I wanna comment ^^; though forgive me if my critique is messy.

Honestly, at first listen I really liked how you made her sound soft in the first part. I found it pleasing to the ears! The one time I used Teto English, I thought she sounded harsh - I abandoned that cover. orz However, that's not the case with this snippet. Her tone sounds nice here. I love that "before I make a move~~~"

However, the next thing I noticed was that I didn't really understand the lyrics. This isn't entirely your fault, however; I found Teto generally found to understand in English. also real humans can be hard to understand too at times//shot But if you can find ways to work on that, great!

I do like the tuning, the portamento was good, it was subtle so not too exaggerated but also not robotically flat. I can't really think of much points of improvement of that front.

Mixing notes... The reverb sounded nice, but I think maybe it could be turned down by just a bit. I'm not so sure though... You might also want to lower the volume of the vocals by a really tiny bit and increasing the volume of the instrumental by around the same around to make them sound more balanced, but not to the point where the vocal is drowned out. I'm not sure if it's just my headphones or if the vocal sounds a bit too loud. Just my opinion though, you might want to play around with it a bit. Also, did you apply mastering to the whole thing or not yet? I'm not so good at mastering myself ^^; but if you're using a DAW where you can apply effects to the master track, maybe applying a subtle compressor would help the dynamics between the vocals and the instrumental?

It's actually a pretty good attempt imho, my covers sound worse orz good job and I hope I made sense!

Reactions: kristian-dee

kristian-dee

Momo's Minion
Hey! Although I have a liiittle experience at using English UTAU voicebanks I made and tuned an original with one, but I' m pretty bad at phonemes orz I wanna comment ^^; though forgive me if my critique is messy.

Honestly, at first listen I really liked how you made her sound soft in the first part. I found it pleasing to the ears! The one time I used Teto English, I thought she sounded harsh - I abandoned that cover. orz However, that's not the case with this snippet. Her tone sounds nice here. I love that "before I make a move~~~"

However, the next thing I noticed was that I didn't really understand the lyrics. This isn't entirely your fault, however; I found Teto generally found to understand in English. also real humans can be hard to understand too at times//shot But if you can find ways to work on that, great!

I do like the tuning, the portamento was good, it was subtle so not too exaggerated but also not robotically flat. I can't really think of much points of improvement of that front.

Mixing notes... The reverb sounded nice, but I think maybe it could be turned down by just a bit. I'm not so sure though... You might also want to lower the volume of the vocals by a really tiny bit and increasing the volume of the instrumental by around the same around to make them sound more balanced, but not to the point where the vocal is drowned out. I'm not sure if it's just my headphones or if the vocal sounds a bit too loud. Just my opinion though, you might want to play around with it a bit. Also, did you apply mastering to the whole thing or not yet? I'm not so good at mastering myself ^^; but if you're using a DAW where you can apply effects to the master track, maybe applying a subtle compressor would help the dynamics between the vocals and the instrumental?

It's actually a pretty good attempt imho, my covers sound worse orz good job and I hope I made sense!

You made a ton of sense~!

I know.. ;w; Teto's english is kinda hard to tune in regards to understandability. Also, thanks for your comment regarding the mixing/mastering. I'm currently struggling with mixing/mastering this song because I have several harmonies and background vocals. It can be a struggle trying to balance those tracks together with the main vocals and the instrumental. However, I will definitely use your suggestion.

I'm currently on a Mac rn, so all i can use is UTAU-Synth and Logic Pro X, but I'll try my best~. Just wishing UTAU-Synth came with fresamp/other resamplers..

Again, thanks for your critique~~

Reactions: JVウタウ

JVウタウ

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
You made a ton of sense~!

I know.. ;w; Teto's english is kinda hard to tune in regards to understandability. Also, thanks for your comment regarding the mixing/mastering. I'm currently struggling with mixing/mastering this song because I have several harmonies and background vocals. It can be a struggle trying to balance those tracks together with the main vocals and the instrumental. However, I will definitely use your suggestion.

I'm currently on a Mac rn, so all i can use is UTAU-Synth and Logic Pro X, but I'll try my best~. Just wishing UTAU-Synth came with fresamp/other resamplers..

Again, thanks for your critique~~

Ah, Logic Pro! I use GarageBand for making and mixing my originals and both Logic and GarageBand share plugins. (I've been able to try Logic out, but don't own it orz. Logic has a really strong plugin set so I'm sure you have a lot to work with while experimenting!)

No prob! also nice that you think I made sense, thank you! Tbh I'm not so good at mixing myself. Balancing volumes, what's that? xD it's even harder imo in originals where you have to level all the instruments, hell almost so my songs sound like they're bleeeeediiing