PlagueDoctor

Momo's Minion
hello, i have gotten back into making UTAU covers after a year or so not doing any, i'm trying my best to make some again and I want to know where i can improve on tuning (i'm familar with mixing but if you personally want to critque it, go ahead i don't mind) but i want some advice after getting back into utau.

This is the cover i made.

atomicreih

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I'm not big on tuning, but the most notable thing to me as a listener is that the voices sound muffled compared to the instrumental. Obviously volume in mixing has a bit to do with it, but you should experiment with flags and see how the sound compares to the instrumental so you can match it a bit. The second most notable thing to me is that the tempo sounds off, so if you give this specific cover a second try I recommend having the original song as a guide in a separate track and even play just the UTAU vocals over the original song (with the original vocals on, not just the instrumental) to match it as close as possible and even try to imitate the mix. The hardest part of UTAU covers in my opinion is matching the level of polish that the instrumentals tend to have, so best wishes to you!

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
you should experiment with flags

I strongly disagree with using filter flags. Filter flags are simply things like high shelf/low shelf without any other degree of control. You're better off using equalization while mixing. This is a basic introduction to EQ: https://utaforum.net/resources/mixing-tutorial-equalization.48/
However, I highly recommend searching for guides on how to mix vocals in general. Advice meant for musicians mixing human vocals will still apply to synthesized vocals, so you'll gain a lot more knowledge than if you were to search only for UTAU-specific resources.