Resolved Suggestion: Show a warning when bumping old threads.

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I noticed this happens a lot on this forum, more than any other forum I know of.
Old topics being bumped is an annoyance for a forum's users and a hassle for it's moderation.

I suggest adding a plugin like this one: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/tpu-show-warning-when-bumping-old-threads.3913/
oddly enough that addon has the same exact as this thread...

This would prevent or defer users from posting in old threads unless they truly believe they have any valuable input and not just "omg lol". It would also prevent the accidental thread bumping which happens from time to time.
That being said, it would also allow for any additional discussion that wouldn't be possible if the thread was automatically locked like some forums do.

An appropriate time frame would probably be something around 3-6 months, as the community is very fast paced and a lot of the topics are help or other "garbage" threads that don't need long term discussion.

Last edited:

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I kinda like the idea, but we should give exceptions for Tutorial threads (the resources one, basically, people always have questions, specially new users), Comission threads (to support pur work and help people find people to do what they need)...

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I kinda like the idea, but we should give exceptions for Tutorial threads (the resources one, basically, people always have questions, specially new users), Comission threads (to support pur work and help people find people to do what they need)...
Yeah but people with questions can just ignore the warning and post anyways so it'd probably be fine either way.

Piia

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
would there be a penalty if someone necros a thread in an unhelpful way?

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
would there be a penalty if someone necros a thread in an unhelpful way?
it seems to be just a warning. It is helpful when a person necro a thread without actually noticing the date it was made, so when the warning appears they know they need to make a new thread about that. For trollers it is useless as they will pass any warning but...I havent seen one at UtaForum yet.

Reactions: Piia

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Most forums usually have rules against necroing a thread but no real punishment. The warning would usually ward off most necroing anyways.
The few edge cases would just be locked by mods like any other thread.

Reactions: Piia and Kiyoteru

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Most forums usually have rules against necroing a thread but no real punishment. The warning would usually ward off most necroing anyways.
The few edge cases would just be locked by mods like any other thread.
This forum doesn't have any no-necroing rules. Unless someone goes on a necroing spree on a bunch of resolved threads (which would be considered as destructive behavior), there isn't any punishment. But yea, a warning filter would be very useful in keeping the threads managed.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Officially we have a "there is a no such thing as necro" policy.
If discussion is still relevant, you can continue discussing it. Full stop.
Would rather you use the search feature and find a relevant existing thread than re-tread an existing topic.

As active discussion, no matter how old is to be encouraged, there are no current plans to implement this feature.

Edit: After being suggested by a user on Discord I am evaluating whether a "reverse necro" notice is possible. It is like a necro notice in that it is based on age, but rather than discouraging replies its purpose is to encourage new discussion in old threads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buck and Nohkara

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
For a lot of people it isn't about necroing threads, it about people adding irrelevant things that bumps threads.
Like adding "that's neat" to a 1 year old thread adds nothing while a thoughtful post does.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Feedback is noted but the problem seems to be with overall post quality rather than the actual necro-ing of a thread. Sadly, post quality is a very subjective issue and is something I am hesitant to make rules about beyond our existing "no l33tspeek" and "use real worlds" rules.

If you ever feel that the above is a problem in the future I encourage you to report the offending post explaining your opinion so the staff can evaluate it on a case-by-case basis.