Soho by Emvoice

Discussion in 'Multiple / Other Voice Synths' started by SynthJ, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Dizziezebra

Dizziezebra Teto's Territory Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Back in 2004, Crypton began putting characters on their products because they found it improved sales. Japan heavily uses mascots because a human is something that we are drawn to; perhaps it makes that ghostly voice in a box a little less strange. However, simply copying what works in Japan is unlikely to be successful; the West has completely different marketing traditions.

I agree that, unfortunately, there is a stigma against the anime art style in English speaking countries. It is seen as both juvenile and a symbol of sexual deviancy. But the choice isn't 'anime characters or bust'. Illustration is an extremely varied practice, with a huge range of tones, styles and audiences.

But the answer isn't as easy as 'don't use anime'. To use illustration successfully, the choice of artwork must be made carefully with your target audience in mind.

An example:

The target audience is music professionals. But this is still too broad. Let's narrow it down to music professionals that would be interested in using a strange new technology - vocal synthesis.

Who are they? What style of marketing are they used to? How can this product stand out, without alienating them?

So we decide to make a character. What style of art would they most be interested in? Are these musicians also fans of another form of entertainment, like video games? If so, can you draw inspiration for popular video games when creating your character? Japanese Vocaloid boomed thanks to using Otaku culture as their market. Could English vocal synths boom by using Western geek culture as their inspiration?

In short, we can only speculate on what the market wants. The only way to know is to get out there and research the heck out of it.

2. Info-Chan

Info-Chan SELENA Developer Tutor Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points

Video finally showing the interface and usage of the VST version. I like how it looks and how it operates, especially the notebending methods. It uses arpabet and has context variations, so it seems to be a rival to SynthV operation wise (looks very similar as well.)

This is a video with Julian and well, it's obvious that Lucy most likely has a lot more pitches. Julian had 3, as confirmed, and he distorts so much with a limited range. Soho doesn't really sound like a synthesizer because of this, more like a sampler, similar to the original Macne vocals, but it's highly refined with more pitches to reverse distortion. I mean, it allows for really realistic sounding tone, but is a little inefficient. I think this can be backed up by the term "voice generator" rather than "voice synthesizer"

3. Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru Local Sensei Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    It's pretty smooth, but I'm a little disappointed that there's no formant correction. Formant shifting is a feature in virtually EVERY vocal pitch corrector.

4. Melomad

Melomad Ritsu's Renegades Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I'm disapointed in Julian's range for now, even though I really like his voice.
    Info is right, it also make me think of a mix between those background singer vst such as Realivox Blue and a program like Vocaloid.
    However it's really smooth! I like it!

5. Info-Chan

Info-Chan SELENA Developer Tutor Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
  6. MillyAqualine

MillyAqualine Ritsu's Renegades Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I love it ! ;w;"' And the speaking is so cute ! x'D

7. Melomad

Trophy Points
    I feel like Lucy is recorded with a more "singing" voice and thus, the speaking voice sounds less natural than Julian. I thought the speaking and the singing were recorded separately.

WyndReed likes this.
  8. heta-tan

heta-tan Genderless Goon Global Mod Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I agree, Lucy's speaking sounds awkward like it's singing samples and Julian's range is uM...?
    They sound smooth and realistic when used in their ranges/purpose allowed by their samples but kind of offputting outside of those ranges

9. Melomad

Trophy Points
    WyndReed and Tema like this.
  10. WyndReed

WyndReed Dareka tasukete! Global Mod Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Its too bad that it's for mac only.

11. Dizziezebra

Trophy Points
    Is it? The images on their soundcloud and in their founder's letter say both Mac and PC.

12. Melomad

Trophy Points
    Wyndreed was talking about the beta. It's currently only available for Mac!

WyndReed and Dizziezebra like this.
  13. Dizziezebra

Trophy Points
    Ooh, thanks for explaining!

Melomad likes this.
  14. Puppy

Puppy Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    I can't wait for the beta to be able to be on PC

Melomad and WyndReed like this.
  15. SynthJ

SynthJ Your average guy Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
  16. Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru Local Sensei Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I completely forgot to post it in this thread, but I've tried out the beta as well:

Tema likes this.