Should I try to record multipitch once again or many appends?

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Evening guys!

So, I've plan to record new vcv for my main utau (Toka Aki) but the "problem" is that when I try multipitch is that my "high notes" tends to sound nasally and them aren't that good than my "lower notes"...

As female I can't go extreme low. The lowest what I can reach is F3 (sounds very soft) and my "comfort/normal" note is G3 or A3.

When I go higher I tend to sound... Well, nasally. Also it takes way more energy and it felt uncomfortable at half way of recordings (ump, so I gave up - again). And I can hit C5 only as falsetto. (Currently, I can do high notes better/well only if I voice act or use falsetto... orz)

So literally my voice range is very bad and I want to do something for it to make my utau better.

Any tips to make own voice range larger/improve my higher range...??

Nohkara

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Agghh, gosh. I wish that I could edit the title to fit better with the topic. Pfff :<

Chianachini

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Does it strain your vocals as falsetto or are you just concerned with the nasal tone. Try to avoid hurting yourself as that could cause major long term damage.

It's good to recognize and want to fix a nasal tone. Our language somewhat contributes to that, so it'll actually take some forced training. It truly does help to spend many practice sessions singing while holding your nose, so the sound is forced to leave your mouth rather than your nose. You'll know it's working if you can't hum, because with your mouth closed, the sound actually escapes through your nose.

While holding your nose, I would recommend trying to over exaggerate the size and shape of your mouth to hopefully get a better sound. Practice on your vowels first, then moving on to consonants and blends. Pay attention to the nasal m, n, and ng sounds.

Ofc, breathe with your stomach and sing with your chest voice. Stay hydrated~

I've also heard it would help to train yourself to lower your tongue. English speakers keep their tongue high at rest and in use, whereas other cultures like Russia keep their tongue low. I'm sure that would be some very awkward training, but I think it can be done with vowels at least.

Record multiple practice sessions before beginning to formally record the voice bank. Take note of your recording environment, and play around with your microphone adjustments and settings.

Reactions: Nohkara

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
In my opinion multipitch > appends.

thay being said, there are many vocal exercises you can do. Look up the lip roll/lip bubble on YouTube.
It's both a warmup and a daily exercise you can do.

This guy has a series of warmups if yoy want to look at those.

Nohkara

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Does it strain your vocals as falsetto or are you just concerned with the nasal tone. Try to avoid hurting yourself as that could cause major long term damage.

It's good to recognize and want to fix a nasal tone. Our language somewhat contributes to that, so it'll actually take some forced training. It truly does help to spend many practice sessions singing while holding your nose, so the sound is forced to leave your mouth rather than your nose. You'll know it's working if you can't hum, because with your mouth closed, the sound actually escapes through your nose.

While holding your nose, I would recommend trying to over exaggerate the size and shape of your mouth to hopefully get a better sound. Practice on your vowels first, then moving on to consonants and blends. Pay attention to the nasal m, n, and ng sounds.

Ofc, breathe with your stomach and sing with your chest voice. Stay hydrated~

I've also heard it would help to train yourself to lower your tongue. English speakers keep their tongue high at rest and in use, whereas other cultures like Russia keep their tongue low. I'm sure that would be some very awkward training, but I think it can be done with vowels at least.

Record multiple practice sessions before beginning to formally record the voice bank. Take note of your recording environment, and play around with your microphone adjustments and settings.

Thank you for tips ヾ(*´∀`*)ノ

I wish that I can do some day kire-like voicebank and scream/shout high notes well without sounding like forced and nasally :sing:

Ps. This question might be very dump but I don't understand what is "chest voice"... ^^; I have heard that word somewhere before but I haven't get what that means orz how I do THAT type of voice|д゚)
[doublepost=1452594212][/doublepost]
In my opinion multipitch > appends.

thay being said, there are many vocal exercises you can do. Look up the lip roll/lip bubble on YouTube.
It's both a warmup and a daily exercise you can do.

This guy has a series of warmups if yoy want to look at those.

Thank you for linking to video. C :

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Chest voice is you normal speaking voice, your full voice. It's called chest voice because it's more "chesty" (lol) and resonates more from there.
Falsetto is the higher, breather voice. It's when your vocal cords split apart and only contact at the very ends. This part of your voice isn't connected to your chest register so when you go into it you will crack noticeably.
Head voice is when your cords zip up and make full contact like in chest voice but only a smaller part actually vibrate. Giving you an easier to access higher range. You can actually transition into this register from chest smoothly with lots of practice.

bearhack

Disciple of Aoede
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
"Chest" voice and "head" voice are proper vocal technique for vocalists not only in a chorale setting, but in any vocal practice. They are mainly concerned with the resonance of your singing voice, where it resides. With "chest" voice, your resonance resides primarily in your chest and if done properly, you will feel the resonance of your voice vibrating in your lungs (if you want a good example of this listen to kyrie from mozart's requiem especially the bass part), "head" voice the resonance resides primarily in your mouth and nasal passages and you will feel the resonance vibrating in your sinuses. It's natural for the "head" voice transition to sound nasal for this reason but with proper vocal excercises to focus on relaxing your mouth and jaw you can mitigate some of that nasal effect.
Poor vocal technique for "head" voice results in "throat" voice, where you're cutting off the resonance in your chest and forcing your voice directly from your throat, which can make your voice strident and sound like you're screaming rather than singing. This will damage your vocal cords so be careful when practicing head voice that you're using the proper technique.