Random UTAU cover project

Zelfie Windwalker

Ruko's Ruffians
Let's face it.

We've had two cover projects -- TheSnowSongstress's Trade Project and Aleksander's Cover project. But both consisted of UTAU that were posted by users. And so, they accomplish getting each other's UTAU used, but what about all the unknowns? Like the hundreds on UTAU wiki.

That's where I got the idea.

If you sign up, you will be assigned three random UTAU selected by me clicking the "Random Page" button on UTAU wiki, and you can choose from those three which one you want to make a cover with.

Then, give a review of it. It doesn't have to be all-positive. Just a good, well rounded review of the voicebank, oto, design, etc.

If all three choices are so poorly configured/recorded that they're unusable, or all three are Hiragana encoded and you can't use Japanese locale, PM me and I'll give you three more choices.

So if you want to try out some UTAU you've probably never heard of, join this project!

People who have joined:
-PKLpikachu
-candymarbles
-Robin Tair
-SakisCookie
-Tala
-Dorielf

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Any of you remember this thread?
http://utaforum.com/topic/8487333/1/

I think that's a better alternative, since Ruto has pretty much EVERY Voicebank, not just a lot of Overseas ones like UTAU Wiki. It's be so cool to see that revived here.

Zelfie Windwalker

Ruko's Ruffians
I completely forgot about that! That'd be great to start up again...
I think I'm going to leave the rules as they are for this project, though. UTAU wiki has its fair share of Japanese UTAU to use.

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
I want to join, but i would have issues with
1.) Poorly made banks where it's just "....no" with inconsistancy, bad pronunciation, no oto, etc.,
2.) banks i would beunable to use ENCODING wise

plus it's bad if you're someone like me who's UTAU has NO wiki page

Zelfie Windwalker

Ruko's Ruffians
TheSnowSongstress link said:
I want to join, but i would have issues with
1.) Poorly made banks where it's just \"....no\" with inconsistancy, bad pronunciation, no oto, etc.,
2.) banks i would beunable to use ENCODING wise

plus it's bad if you're someone like me who's UTAU has NO wiki page

Ok well what about this:

1. You get three UTAU to choose from. In the case that all three are unusable, you can PM me and I'll give you three more choices. However, if you decide to use a bad one, be honest about the quality and don't sugarcoat it.
2. If all three are Hiragana encoded and you cannot use Japanese locale, PM me and I'll give you three more choices.

About the Wiki thing, not all UTAU are on that website Aline posted in the thread Shinami referenced, either. There are many, many scattered over Nico and YouTube that aren't listed anywhere on UTAU databases like the Wiki. So I can't guarantee that every UTAU has an equal chance because not every single one is on the wiki, but it does give quite a few unknowns a chance.
That's my goal here.

faerimagic

Ruko's Ruffians
Is this ongoing? Because this sounds very interesting. :smile:
Also, I have a lot of stuff going on at this time, so is it ok for me to PM you whenever I have free time?

Rai

Teto's Territory
Question; Do you have to create art for the cover and post on youtube or would something like uploading the cover on soundcloud be acceptable?

Zelfie Windwalker

Ruko's Ruffians
faerimagic link said:
Is this ongoing? Because this sounds very interesting. :smile:
Also, I have a lot of stuff going on at this time, so is it ok for me to PM you whenever I have free time?
Umm, well I guess that'll depend on how well the first round goes. Like how many people actually make the covers.

Rai link said:
Question; Do you have to create art for the cover and post on youtube or would something like uploading the cover on soundcloud be acceptable?
You can do the whole deal if you want to, but a SoundCloud upload is just fine.

I'll send out UTAU choices after a couple more people join.

Rai

Teto's Territory
Cover finished.

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/rxrai/poison-and-divide-kane[/soundcloud]

For the review I will do a sample and oto review along with a character design review and give a mark out of 5 for each.

REVIEW
Basic sample and oto review
Kane Midorirei's SOLID append was used for this cover.
The bank was recorded with romaji samples and hiragana aliases.
Each sample was nice and long with lots of vowel which allowed for longer notes to be rendered with less stretching.
Some otos had too much space in front while others cut off too much of the beginning phoneme. e.g. 'che' had the entire consonant cut out and it was merely 'e'
The oto-er seemed to have some idea of what they were doing but for a normal cv bank the overlap was constantly past the consonant where it should be. The preutterance was also located oddly - both were consistently within the vowel part of each phoneme.
Otos were used on breath which is not recommended.
On the other hand vowels seemed to be otoed quite nicely although they did not flow as well as they could have with slightly different otoing.
On the plus side, the voicebank came with extra sounds (most likely for lite english) along with being(almost) fully frq-ed (one sample was missing frq 'fa').
Overall, I'd give this bank 3/5.

Character design review
His character looked quite interesting with a yellow and white coat along with a duller grey shirt and jeans underneath. The shirt could  have been made darker for a deeper contrast to the white of the coat. With a last name meaning 'Green Spirit' a little more green was expected rather than just hair and possible shoes. The green hair and yellow-orange eyes are also a slight bit jarring but such things are subjective.
The character art does not fit with some the supplemental information given on UTAUWiki.
The personality given is quiet realistic and plausible. The final comment about having extremely good luck is understandable to try and give characters good traits although extremely might have been a bit strong word to use.
Overall I'd give this character design 4/5

candymarbles

Teto's Territory
Yay I finished~  :sing:

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/daisy-ditizio/coward-mont-blanc-utau[/soundcloud]

If I end up drawing a picture for it, I think I'll post it on youtube, too :3

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot about the review ^^;

FIRST REVIEW WOOHOO~
Hoshiko Shiroyuki

OTO and Voicebank

I used her ACT2, and I, for one, thought it sounded fine. I read the lyrics as I listened to her sing, and she seemed to pronounce everything correct. However, I do worry about her r's. While the voicer did roll them, they come out sounding kind of american. There was some empty space in front of a few of the oto's, as well, and it might be a good idea to get a better microphone (Although, if she can't, the recording seems fine. It's just a suggestion.) I must say, however, I like the UTAU's voice. It's pretty, and DEEP VOICED GIRLS RULE~ Also, she had extra samples which would help a lot if you were trying to get her to speak another language.

Character Design and Personality

I actually specifically chose her for her personality XD I liked the fact that she was an otaku, mainly because I was thinking, "MEEE TOOOO~" The rest of the personality seems fairly plausible, although I do question the fact that she's BOTH a yaoi fangirl and naive. From personal experience, I don't think that could happen...
About her actual ACT2 design, I thought it was cool. The excessive white makes sense because she's an angel, and the little pops of color were attractive. Her sleeves were a little crypton-y, though. And for some reason, I like her wings. I think it's because they don't look very conventional; not all elegant and huge, but smaller and spiky.

Pardon me if this isn't the best review, I'm a noob...

Dorielf

Momo's Minion
I finished covers for two of the VB's I was assigned instead of just one. But I'm not going to post them till I've done artwork for them, so may be a few days. :3

Edit: Here's the first one, I'll post the other in another post:

Fujiwarane Takeshi

[藤原音武 Fujiwarane Takeshi] A Clingy Boy Sticking for 15 Years [Utau Cover]

I used Takeshi's VCV voicebank for this project. In his readme, it says he works best with the flags Y10H10BRE0, but I rendered this with TIPS so I don't know if the flags actually did anything. o.o;;

Takeshi's oto is very well done imo. I didn't find any notes that were cut of, and the only frq files that weren't done were samples I doubt are used very often anyways. His samples all seem to be the same pitch and volume, which is great. I'm not an expert on VCVs, but I think he did a really good job. ^_^

His design is easy to draw, which I appreciate. The t-shirt and (jeans?) are a little plain, but the scarf adds a bit more so I'm not complaining. His name, Fujiwarane, means "wisteria field sound." This seems a bit random to me, because the name doesn't match his color scheme or his character item (which is a crayon). Although I suppose it is because in his backstory he is a clone, so that must be his creator's name. I'm not going to comment on the backstory or the personality.

Overall, I think I'll keep Takeshi. I like his sound. ^_^