pointless vb extensions

keopi

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
idk if this is in the right place but uhh...

what are some extensions/tones that you think someone probably wouldn't use more than once or are overall just pointless?

i know there are some recording masochists out there who make like 1000 appends with a billion pitches: but how many of those tones do you think really would impact much?

(and just for fun, how many tones can you think of in total for those who just love having so many? ahah)

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Pointless extensions? hmm...

Anything that resembles "EVEC" , which we have been doing for years before EVEC was a thing, it generally pointless and unused.
Excessive pitches as it just makes more work.
Combinations that don't exist like kyi, tsyu, etc.
English consonants in a japanese bank are generally somewhat useless but is good on occasion.
Numerous "acts" that are otherwise exactly the same.

But that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Things like appends are usually fine as long as you don't have many of the same bank.

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Lemme see:

-I think that the multipitches are OK if they are like 3~5 pitches.

- I never used a falsetto vocal.

-"Act 1, Act2" that are just "improvements" are overall uneeded. Like, just replace the old version. It seems that people used the improvement tjing as an excuse to make a "Crypton's Kagamine" like thing.

-Making every VB Kire...Like, make just one KIRE VB, it is enough XD

dyne 智優

Shoutbox Lurker™
Defender of Defoko
toO MANY PITCHES FOR TOO LITTLE RANGES. CAN'T EMPHASISE TAHT ENOUGH. i mean, you're better off using the gender flag than wasting time/storage space with 12 pitches if you're utau's voicebank is only going to be 1 octave wide.

idk what to comment about recent powerscales tbh we have moresampler already so that's that

falsetto is usually used by singers who cant really reach notes beyond their belting voice (in pop songs at least coz i guess the majority of us would only cover world is mine??? bleh). flagged/tweaked/mixed right and you could practically make your utau sound as good mariah carey at C#7 without the help of falsetto even though you naturally only can sing within B3~G5. unless you state that you made a falsetto append as you wish to cover a certain genre that has 'using falsetto' as a special trait, then i suppose you dont actually need one

breath cv-cvvcv?!?!?!?!?!? d00d ever heard of the B/Mb flag?!?!?!??!?!

OH also having too many power and soft 'appends' is kinda bad tbh. i cant think of a reason why now but nah kinda irritating to some peepo like me. they seem kinda repetitive. plus as stated above, we already have moresampler. id go for emotion 'appends' really

Last edited:

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I like appends, but like Kurt said..Having too many of the same (I guess that is what you mean?) is kinda meh. Like I know a guy who have a KIRE append and a POWER append. Tho the recordings are indeed different, the samples and the VB itself sounds basically the same...Kire after all is a power thing, so...

heta-tan

Genderless Goon
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Not everyone can use moresampler..

And I don't see "acts" as a problem if there's an improvement to the bank overall. also are 'acts' still a thing? it was like 5 years ago, I didn't know it was still going on jeez

I also don't see a problem with 12 pitches if there's appends/different tones involved. The problem I have is when things start sounding the same with just a sllllight difference. The point of recording different pitches and voice styles is to mimic how one's voice would change and expand the range of the bank but you don't need to have a bank that has every single minuscule shift. It wastes storage and UTAU does a pretty decent job of letting samples spread over several notes .
In all honesty,you really only need like five pitches: middle, high, low and transitions between unless you have a large singing range.
For tones/appends, it really depends on how much you can manipulate your voice while not going into a voice unlike your own.

also am ready for this kire trend to die at some point

dyne 智優

Shoutbox Lurker™
Defender of Defoko
Not everyone can use moresampler..
OMG totes forgot rip
well ye that was what i meant when it comes to the 12-pitches-for-one-octave thing. people always expect (overly-)expressive vocals when they record a lot of pitches. and i dont really like that :/ like seriously ask for opinions before forcing people to shove 400MB into their laptops. that 400MB might be equivalent to a 40MB vb that's given enough/careful attention and criticism.
[doublepost=1479333425][/doublepost]
I like appends, but like Kurt said..Having too many of the same (I guess that is what you mean?) is kinda meh. Like I know a guy who have a KIRE append and a POWER append. Tho the recordings are indeed different, the samples and the VB itself sounds basically the same...Kire after all is a power thing, so...
exactly what i meant!
EDIT: oop double post sorry

Last edited:
K

Kassandra

I don't see the problem with a lot of pitches or appends or extensions because people are giving you more options and variety to choose from. If you download a voicebank, no one can stop you from mutilating it and using whatever is recorded as you choose. I think it's more fun to add and not just do the boring standards everyone tries to assume is the "correct" way of doing things. I think being more open minded about recording and voicebank types helps us learn new things. Sure, some things can be unnecessary, but at the same time, I'd rather use a voice that has more going on then just the same old boring banks with the same old boring recording styles. Also, you don't have to download ALL of their voicebanks either, just pick the ones you like.

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
While the tech does exist to make UTAU more expressive and to make voicebanks more versatile (moresampler, gflag, general tuning), I personally prefer it when the voice is recorded with the intent of that sort of feeling in the first place; it sounds more natural, and can usually get a better result than the aforementioned methods. Trying to get a neutral-toned VB to sound powerful is difficult, and though making it soft is possible, I still prefer to use a VB where the actual samples are recorded like that. Again, it's more natural sounding.

Though, I agree that there is a tendency of users who enjoy making multipitches / appends to get caught up in the thirst for variety and realism that they fail to realize the redundancy of some of the things they record. I actually touched on that in that multipitch tutorial I made awhile back lol

As far as my own usage, I kind of just figured out the different tonal elements of my voice (also my singing range, but that goes without saying). I tend to look at it like... two sliding scales, controlling the weak/power and nasal/throat qualities of my voice, and an on/off switch for growling. I aim to make voicebanks which highlight those different features.