Month of Song Challenge

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
There are hundreds of VocaUTAU fans and users out there that wish that someday they could write originals and become a producer themselves. But there's even more things we come up with to hold us back- things like "I have too many things to do," or "I don't know enough about music."

This challenge is for all of you people, who want to write songs but think they can't. Because even if you think that you'll never be able to write songs like all of your favorite Vocalo-Ps, you CAN create this one entire great thing of your own to be proud of.

So what is the challenge?
Drop everything for a month to focus on writing an original vocalsynth song.

That's right- put all your voicebanks and USTs and artworks on pause. Post a hiatus message on your blog. Even unplug your video games, if you really want to. Clear your entire personal to-do list, so that you can use all of your free time for songwriting. (Of course, don't neglect the important things like going to work and buying groceries...)

You can do your one month of songwriting any time you want to. Every three months there will be a free-to-download compilation album of all the songs finished during that time.

First Quarter - People finishing in January to March (album release March 31)
Second Quarter - People finishing in April to June (album release June 30)
Third Quarter - People finishing in July to September (album release September 30)
Fourth Quarter - People finishing in October to December (album release December 31)

None yet!

If you want to do the challenge, you can reply to this thread with the start and end date. (ex. "I'm starting on April 5 and finishing on May 5")
If you're not currently an UTAforum member, you're still able to participate!
Everyone who is participating should add themselves to this calendar. At the bottom is a link that says "Add/Edit".
https://www.brownbearsw.com/cal/MoS

Something I would encourage you to do is to talk about the challenge! Talk to people about your progress, about what you're doing every day.

Anyone is free to do the challenge, even if you've already done some production before, this is just for fun after all. You can also do it multiple times. If you decide to use an already work-in-progress song, you'll need to list the date that you began working on it rather than the date you decided to join the challenge.

There are no restrictions on your work other than the challenge. You are free to do any genre, with vocals in any language (or no language at all, with background "oohs" and "ahs"), with whatever length song you'd like. You're free to post work-in-progress renders of your music and ask for feedback.

The challenge does not include anything like designing cover art or creating a music video. It's for the song and the song alone, and you are free to do a video release on your own time after finishing the challenge.

However, collabs aren't allowed. While there are people who are better at doing things like writing lyrics or creating beats, the purpose of this challenge is here to say that anyone can write an entire song, and encourage creativity in the community.

When you finish your song, please send it to me with this information. My contact information is available on my website.

Song title
Your producer name (How I should credit you)
Link to download of WAV render
Lyrics
Any additional notes/comments (will be seen on individual track pages)
OPTIONAL Track artwork (square, at least 1200x1200) and credit

Resources

This is a list of people on the support team! They are experienced producers and songwriters who can help people out when tutorials can't.
AvaliaKasa
DystoP

This is a list of people on the rendering team! This includes singthesis (will be tuned) and commercial VST instruments. Please consider checking the Vocal Render Hub as well!
Adlez27
UTAU: English and engrish (any banks, Chezzie or x-sampa preferred)
Vocaloid: Sonika
Other Singthesis: Chipspeech, Alter/Ego
VSTs: All instruments in FL Studio 12 Signature bundle

AvaliaKasa
Vocaloid: Avanna
VSTs: EWQL Ra, Halion Symphonic Orchestra

Reinheld
Vocaloid: Oliver, Kaito V3, Gackpoid Power, VY1V4, VY2V3
VSTs: All 4 instruments in Studio One Producer edition

mateidobrescu
Vocaloid: Meiko V3, Miku V3, Miku English, Megpoid English

And last but definitely not the least, this is a list of resources to help you with writing songs.

Songwriting Resources

Last edited:

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The challenge begins now! There should be sufficient resources, but more can be added over time.

Last edited:

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
Let me sign up! I'll enter a little project that I started working on about...a week ago? I guess it'll be due April 27th or something I guess? Can't really pinpoint when I started...

McCloud

Loner Stoner
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
This seems like a pretty fun idea! I would like to join as well. I would like to start a week later so I guess April 10 to May 10.

Last edited:

FluoroLime

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I'll join! I'll start on the 5th of April, and I'll finish on the 4th of May.

VaNexuS

The Interstellar NexuS of Super Novas
Defender of Defoko
I'll try this~, I started something, so I'll set the dates for 4/3 - 5/3(April 3 to May 3) .. if that works...

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
ohgodsohgodsohgods deep breaths

Count me in. I'll do April 10-May 10. (giving myself a week to brush up on theory lel)

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Apparently my nerves render me unable to remember the order of the months lmaoooo

Sorry about that, I fixed it

SCARYCHEWINGGUM

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I'm going to do this as soon as I get a Midi Keyboard. I'll reply later with the dates.
[DOUBLEPOST=1428156873][/DOUBLEPOST]Actually, I'm starting now. 4th of April to 4th of May.

Anonymous62034

Teto's Territory
I'd love to try this! I already finished one, but that can't be submitted , right? So I'll write a new one... I'll probably finish by the Third Quarter if that's ok :smile: There are some things I think I'd like to do first...

B

bodytemp

If anyone needs a hand in the EDM arena lemme know

Heres an example of an off vocal I produced for challenge(I'm not entering):

Reactions: Tema

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I've just added these to resources:
3 mixing guides
1 set of video tutorials
1 other resource masterpost
1 online tool

Someone in the challenge was wondering about mixing instruments, which is why.

Reactions: Tema

AkiraMarvell

Momo's Minion
I'd like to join! I'm a little late but I think I can do the second quarter.

Thank you so much for making this, its sounds fun :D

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
There's no such thing as too late, since there isn't really an end to the whole challenge. Anyone can join at any time.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I've added a song title generator that might inspire some ideas, and another VST from the rendering team.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
We have seven people who've joined so far, which is great!

I've added a link (to Video Tutorials and Guides) that I think deserves me posting about on its own.

How To Make Electronic Music is really a great resource, full of tutorials and helpful tips, from creating specific synths to turning short ideas into full tracks.

Also, god bless UTAforum for keeping this draft post when I accidentally closed the tab.

SCARYCHEWINGGUM

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Hi! Ah, I've messed up and I'm needing to restart. Can I change it to 18th of April to the 18th of May? Sorry!