Mixing Tips (As many programs you can think of!)

What's the main mixing program you currently use? [Max of top 2 ; can vote for 2 at once]

• Audacity

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • REAPER

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Garageband

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Mixcraft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FL Studio

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Other (Tell Panda what it is so she can add a section for tips! :\'>)

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters

PandaLolii

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
/sobs since there were a LOT of replies/

I'm sorry, I can't add anything at the moment. But if anyone has specific questions, just ask!

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
well for the moment I'll babble more FL effects at you

Fruity Free Filter:  This is the easiest-to-use filter effect in FL in my opinion.  I specifically use the High Pass and Low Pass filters-- High Pass adds a radio-type effect if used heavily, but a small amount (with the freq setting in the 300 range) will cut popping and clicking sounds.  Low Pass filter adds a kind of muffled effect by cutting the lowest frequencies--you can hear it used in a lot of songs.  Alter the cutoff frequency to change the strength of the filter.

Fruity Stereo Enhancer:  Exactly what it says on the tin.  It makes your mono-output wavs nice and stereo-y.

Fruity Stereo Shaper:  It's different from Enhancer, but hard to explain how.  It stereoizes more strongly and can add some effects while it does so.

Fruity Delay 2: For echos.

You can add enveloping tracks for any part of an effect in FL--I use this feature to change the strength of an effect throughout a track, or to activate it only for a section of the vocals.

ovo;;; still need to make that tutorial... when the audio stops desynching from my videos D:

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I use cubase5

don't ask me why...it's absolutly horrible ...err... wonderful ...it's okay...well it's much better than okay.

i would rather use something else though... i already have enough plugins to make audacity better than cubase...

PandaLolii

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Mimi Neko link said:
Got any advice for Wavepad Sound editor? I can`t download Audacity so i got stuck with this program T^T

Ah, I know Taizo's owner (PANINI) (can't remember her username atm) uses that program! Maybe you could ask her?

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Got any advice for Wavepad Sound editor? I can`t download Audacity so i got stuck with this program T^T

I f you go to http://110.apps.roozzstore.com/Audacity2.htm you can use audacity on any computer without installing.

I have used it and it works great. (it's audacity 2)

And are you talking about NCH's wavepad? I've used that but from what I know you can't actually mix in that software...

willowispembers

Ruko's Ruffians
JeremyB796 link said:
And are you talking about NCH's wavepad? I've used that but from what I know you can't actually mix in that software...

Sorry I don't mean to sort of jump in here, but yes you can mix in Wavepad. ^^ It's not like Audacity/FL studio though, you need to select and copy/paste to mix instead of sliding things into place.

Kinda going back, on topic though, I usually use Wavepad and FL studio to mix... Though I mainly just use FL for effects and EQ and such... ^^;

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
willowispembers link said:
... Sorry I don't mean to sort of jump in here, but yes you can mix in Wavepad ^^ It's not like Audacity/FL studio though, you need to select and copy/paste to mix instead of sliding things into place. ...

Oh wow. I actually had wavepad once and gave up...for that reason...

I mean... The only reason I use cubase 5 is because it was easy but it's pirated so I now use or have used  Traverso DAW, Ardour, Rosegarden, Eisenkraut, Jokosher, LMMS, and Qtractor ...

EDIT: You can make any audio editor great with a lot of plug-ins...

...and a good trick it to stop mixing for a day, come back tomorrow, and listen to how bad it still may be...I always make the vocals too loud...

Chiharu

Teto's Territory
I use Audacity for audio correction sometimes, but I use Garageband most of the time. I never used the other mixing softwares though.. but Garageband is far away better & easier than Audacity.

this might help a little bit..

GARAGEBAND
Basics
• Timing vocals: snaps to grid and guides option
• Import and Exporting
  Importing: drag your files from your folder / itunes
  Exporting: Share > Export Song to Disk
• The Basic buttons (updated later)

Basic Vocal Editing Tips
• Equalization: has visualEQ and GraphicEQ. comes with presets, but you can adjust manually.
• Compressor: comes with presets, but you can adjust manually.

Useful Effects
• Echo
• Reverb
• Radio / megaphone / telephone effect
• Chorus effect
• Limiter
• Panning

Garageband comes with tons of effects and presets, and they're really helpful. What I usually do is select a preset, and adjust a little bit from there.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
A small note here~

Watching a video by AdyS, I noticed that when mixing SONiKA in FL, she will use EQUO's Vocal Enhancer preset, and then Maximus's De-esser. The de-esser is VERY useful for me, because as well as I record and OTO I still have all the hissing.

For those who don't know, when you're using an effect like reverb or something, the Dry level is the original sound, and the Wet level is the reverb. A fun party trick is to arm a track for recording and monitor it through headphones, then set a reverb or delay at a fraction of a second with dry all the way down and wet all the way up. Pf, can't speak

Lorreine Geralde

lorreinegeralde@IRIS-SELECIA
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
I mostly use REAPER for audio mixing, although I use Audacity as well (but only for cutting off extra empty spaces in audio).

I remembered when I mixed "Wave Sounds" cover, I found a weird feature besides the compressor (ReaComp?) and the EQ - "resonance" (but idk about its name, just search for the resonance FX in the program itself). This feature sometimes can work very well if it is used properly and it helps to control the hardness of any voice. The main problem is it almost makes me facepalm everytime I try to set the values on the left or right. So, I only have to set the value on the middle and tweak the settings.

I've also tried ReaXComp and ReaVerbate (for reverb/echo-ey) but idk how it functions, actually.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
For those who's mixing programs (like Audacity) doesn't have a "radio effect" (as in, like an old radio and it sounds distorted but not destructive), just open up your equalizer and copy this graph: (normal view on the left and zoomed out on the right)

ehx7.png

Use "Draw Curves" since it's hard to do in "Graphic EQ" and use it in "Draw Curves" since it might get messed up in "Graphic EQ".

Lorreine Geralde

Retired User
Defender of Defoko
kimchi-tan said:
For those who's mixing programs (like Audacity) doesn't have a "radio effect" (as in, like an old radio and it sounds distorted but not destructive), just open up your equalizer and copy this graph: (normal view on the left and zoomed out on the right)

ehx7.png

Use "Draw Curves" since it's hard to do in "Graphic EQ" and use it in "Draw Curves" since it might get messed up in "Graphic EQ".

Now this is what I call "essential magic".

meichan

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
REAPER is the best ok. Don't get me wrong, there are things that are a bummer -
like gosh collecting VSTis - it comes with TWO. ReaSynth and Drum ReaSynth. I've made an original song using only those, but how BO-RING
Luckily, you can import any VSTi to make music. Though, this is about mixing!

Soaa taught me to use REAPER like a pro. At least, I pretend he did. Basically, all you need to do is ReaComp, ReaEq, master limiter. Sounds nice bae. BUT REMEMBER!!!
Reverb is a sign of a bad mixer!!!
The vocals should have the same weight as the instruments. Nothing should drown out anything else. Unless you're going for that, but if it's not totally intentional and makes a statement sIGN OF BAD MIXER UP IN HERE

REAPER is cool and it looks pretty. I like REAPER.

Lorreine Geralde

Retired User
Defender of Defoko
REAPER is the best ok. Don't get me wrong, there are things that are a bummer -
like gosh collecting VSTis - it comes with TWO. ReaSynth and Drum ReaSynth. I've made an original song using only those, but how BO-RING
Luckily, you can import any VSTi to make music. Though, this is about mixing!

Soaa taught me to use REAPER like a pro. At least, I pretend he did. Basically, all you need to do is ReaComp, ReaEq, master limiter. Sounds nice bae. BUT REMEMBER!!!
Reverb is a sign of a bad mixer!!!
The vocals should have the same weight as the instruments. Nothing should drown out anything else. Unless you're going for that, but if it's not totally intentional and makes a statement sIGN OF BAD MIXER UP IN HERE

REAPER is cool and it looks pretty. I like REAPER.

ReaVerbate (idk if i forgot it) can be used to add reverb as well but you need to tweak/play with the settings. Also, it may be helpful to close the eyes while listening to the mixing, especially when someone has a problem to synchronize the instrumental with the volume's voice.

I have to admit that REAPER is a very good DAW software. It is what I use to mix cover songs such as Wave Sounds, A Thousand Year Solo and Hirari, Hirari. The downside is...it may not be RAM-friendly to some users. With 0.99 GB RAM on my laptop, I almost facepalm as REAPER jammed on it every time I clicked the play button. Which is why I re-use Audacity for mixing vocals nowadays.