Mixing Rating

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Is this mixing OK at all? I like the way I tuned it and the extra UST I made but the mixing kind of pokes me...

Miawerz

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
umm... I think there's too much reverb but that's just my opinion Also, did you changed the key of the singing part?(like you moved the notes in utau up or down)
if you did, then maybe that's what's bothering me while listening(I suggest sticking to the original key of the song or if you want to stick with the shifted vocals, you also need to pitch up/down the instrumental so that it the singing wouldn't sound off key) that is if you did changed the key, I'm not really a professional/qualified about this stuff ^ ^'

but still, good cover :smile:

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Oh, I made a new version without *much* Reverb :smile:

Oh, I moved the entire UST one octave down (From C4 to C3). I didn't know I have to pitch down the instrumental ^^' I will try it! o///o

Reactions: Miawerz

Miawerz

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Oh, I moved the entire UST one octave down (From C4 to C3). I didn't know I have to pitch down the instrumental ^^' I will try it! o///o
Umm maybe use audacity? I've also heard about a program called reaper that is supposed to help in mixing when you change key but I haven't used it yet
hopefully somebody knowledgeable about this stuff would help you out i could try to help you out, just send me the raw vocals... i'm not really that professional tho

Reactions: Mougeki Mero

Blackbird

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Oh, I made a new version without *much* Reverb :smile:

if you pitch it down an octive you shouldn't have to pitch down the instrumental, even if it's an octave down it's still in the same key. that means that either it didn't move completely 8 notes down in the key or there is something else going on affecting the pitch (external effects and such)

Kitcat190

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
In UTAU you should move the ust by either +12 or -12 as a given to move it into a singers range. An octave would be moving it by 8, anything less is off key and or more harmonic, for example, moving it by 4. Changing the instrumental should only be done by the original producer, as they will usually change the song to fit those in either higher octaves or lower.

I can't say much for the EQ and compression because I know this UTAU is pretty solid on its own and it being off pitch is throwing me a bit off. The first post definitely had a little too much reverb for this type of song. Its a bit hard for me to explain just because I suck at explaining ; u ;9 But it engulfs the vocals a bit too much and you should either lower the impact is has or the time length of the reverb. No muddy sounds!

; u ;9 Sorry if this was a weird post OTL I don't really know what you mix with daw wise so I'm a little worse at explaining than usual ; u ;'

Miawerz

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
In UTAU you should move the ust by either +12 or -12 as a given to move it into a singers range.
hmmm, never really experienced any problem when shifting in octaves (8 notes) wouldn't shifting it 12 notes actually make it off-tune? like from C4 it would be A5/F3
EDIT:forgot about black notes lel so I guess one octave is 12 notes

...maybe the .ust Mougeki Mero used is actually a different key from the start?

Last edited:

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
hmmm, never really experienced any problem when shifting in octaves (8 notes) wouldn't shifting it 12 notes actually make it off-tune? like from C4 it would be A5/F3
EDIT:forgot about black notes lel so I guess one octave is 12 notes

...maybe the .ust Mougeki Mero used is actually a different key from the start?

THANK YOU ALL! It really helped me! ^^' Yes, the UST I was using was originally off key by itself. I made this UST. I placed the 1st note on F#2 and the rest went wrong too. The key is intended to be G2. My bad! i will redo the cover XD

Truly

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
In UTAU you should move the ust by either +12 or -12 as a given to move it into a singers range. An octave would be moving it by 8, anything less is off key and or more harmonic, for example, moving it by 4. Changing the instrumental should only be done by the original producer, as they will usually change the song to fit those in either higher octaves or lower.

I can't say much for the EQ and compression because I know this UTAU is pretty solid on its own and it being off pitch is throwing me a bit off. The first post definitely had a little too much reverb for this type of song. Its a bit hard for me to explain just because I suck at explaining ; u ;9 But it engulfs the vocals a bit too much and you should either lower the impact is has or the time length of the reverb. No muddy sounds!

; u ;9 Sorry if this was a weird post OTL I don't really know what you mix with daw wise so I'm a little worse at explaining than usual ; u ;'
if you're using a 12-step scale (chromatic, semitones) then 8 is NOT an octave, 12 is. 8 is when referring to a diatonic scale ("normal," major or minor, or the like), where you aren't counting all the semitones. to put it another way, "do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti, do," skips most of the semitones, so is 8, not 12, notes.

in UTAU and most music software, you have all 12 semitones available to you; you are working in a chromatic scale. if you shift your vocals 12 semitones down, shifting your instrumental by 8 would certainly put you out of pitch.

i'd also contest that, with the right software/techniques, you can repitch an instrumental a few steps in either direction. for covering Drop Pop Candy, we pitched the vocal down 2 semitones via complex pro setting in ableton live 9-- which, admittedly, is something most of us don't have access to-- and it made it a much more comfortable vocal range for everybody involved.

but that's neither here nor there. OP realized her UST was off by just one semitone! an easy mistake to make, no doubt.