Mixing Tutorial: Equalization

Tutorial Mixing: Equalization and Why it's Awesome

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Yue Nagareboshi link said:
When will this tutorial become sticky/pinned?

This is pretty useful to link as reference!

Agreeing with this.

NicolaCola

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Ant link said:
[quote author=Yue Nagareboshi link=topic=1534.msg23842#msg23842 date=1346406143]
When will this tutorial become sticky/pinned?

This is pretty useful to link as reference!

Agreeing with this.
[/quote]

Third-ing this! This tutorial is incredibly helpful, it should absolutely be pinned~

Shine

Teto's Territory
An awesome tutorial, I'm going to look up to this while mixing!

I just have a little answer...: If I have different singers, I have to do EQs for each one of them, or is Equalizing a thing that "encompasses" the whole mixing project?
I'm just new to this, sorry OTL And thank you!

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Shine link said:

I just have a little answer...: If I have different singers, I have to do EQs for each one of them, or is Equalizing a thing that \"encompasses\" the whole mixing project?

In terms of FL Studio:
If you only EQ the master track, the instrumental will become EQ'd with it, and it will sound distorted. You would have to EQ each of the tracks separately.

I think it's the same with other programs, but I'm not an expert at those, so I can't say for sure whether you can and can't EQ two at the same time. Besides, different voices will have different curves that sound best, so even if you wanted to EQ them together it would sound weird.

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Shine link said:

I just have a little answer...: If I have different singers, I have to do EQs for each one of them, or is Equalizing a thing that \"encompasses\" the whole mixing project?
Each voice should be EQ'd separately for best results, because if you put all the voices in the same track you'll have issues with balancing volume and the like.  The same applies for harmonies, because of volume balance issues more than anything.  In Audacity, though, it's probably okay to use the same EQ setting over the different voices (given that they're similar enough voices) and balance the volumes afterwards.

FantasyXII

Momo's Minion
Ohh, this tutorial is awesome. Maybe you can help me find a good EQ for soft voice?? I'm having trouble EQing this type of voice. I use Teto Sasayaki (soft) btw :3c

UTAU~Ayume

Teto's Territory
A very beautiful Tutorial for every user with different programs, Cdra i'll love you forever for doing this!

I'd like to ask what Ritsu Kire C5 in the song "Babylon" needs, i played with the settings
you have there for Aiko but there is the missing... you know? that MMMHH (uhm, hope you understand what i mean xD)

I play around more but i'd like to hear what you suggest for him

Space Project

Teto's Territory
Anyone got a more detailed guide or screenshots on how I could do settings like these on Audacity? I try recreating the curves in the equalizer but it just makes voices sound really buzzy and hissy.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Anyone got a more detailed guide or screenshots on how I could do settings like these on Audacity? I try recreating the curves in the equalizer but it just makes voices sound really buzzy and hissy.
You're better off using actual music software, such as Reaper. This will allow you to listen to the vocals and adjust the EQ in real time, which is a much easier way of finding which frequencies to cut and boost.