Microphones Used by Popular VBs

keopi

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Sources: https://twitter.com/Asta_Tsukiloid/status/755542769020637184 + http://fuzzleyan.tumblr.com/post/27545240036/a-list-of-equipment-used-by-japanese-utau-voicers

Keika Kaoru - AT2020

Kohaku Merry & Ruuto Leta - AT2050

Mizuki Zuiga - Shure BETA 57A

Yamine Renri - Behringer C-1

Itou Kashitarou - sontronics stc 20

DEX/Juni/Nai - Samson C01u

Takoe Zuii - AT2005

Itei Wota - Blue Spark Digital

Ritsu Namine/Samura Tomi - AT4040

Hatsune Miku/Namine Ritsu - NEUMANN u87Ai

Kasane Teto - Sennheiser MD 431 (mic), Shure X2U (audio interface)

Momone Momo - AKG C414 XLS (mic), RME Babyface (audio interface)

Ruko [female] - CM5 (mic), AT-VD3 (audio interface)

Ruko [male] - NT3 RODE (mic), MobilePre M-Audio (audio interface)

Namine Ritsu - Telefunken M80/Audio-technica AT-4040 [mic], Roland UA-25EX (audio interface)

Haruka Nana - RODE NT-1A (mic), Roland UA-4FX (audio interface)

Sekka Yufu - No detailed information that my fail JP can decipher given other than it’s a “dynamic mic”

Satemaro - SANWA SUPPLY MM-MC5 (mic)

Pam/Pamyu - Electric (electret?) condenser (mic), Realtek OnBoard (audio interface)

Kumono Tsuki - ELECOM hardset type (mic)

Shigure Nao - AT-X3 (mic), TASCAM US-122K-II (audio interface)

Soune Taya - AT-XI11 (mic), Roland UA-4FX (audio interface)

Asane Bow - OM5 (mic), UA-4FX (audio interface)

Komura Gaeri - Shure SM58 (mic), TASCAM US-122L (audio interface)

If you know of any other microphones used by popular UTAUs please comment! While you're at it, why not tell us what microphone you utilize! I use a Rode NT1 with a Steinberg UR12.

Last edited:

CarrotBunz

Trash
Defender of Defoko
ooo thank but the ATR2500 was already going to be my next ovo
[doublepost=1469029224][/doublepost]changed it to ATR5000 because usb mics are for meeee

Reactions: keopi
P

partial

I'd say Czloid is fairly popular, and she was recorded with a Blue Yeti iirc.

I use a Blue Yeti because I idolize PaintedCz and Czloid lmaoooo

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I think that this post gives some kind of good guidance what kind of mic can give HQ UTAU VB recordings.

But keep in mind that having cheaper mic or a mic that isn't listed here doesn't automatically mean that own VB is/will be bad. Sure, microphone has impact on overall voice quality but things like quiet/not echoing room, pop filter, oto.ini, correct voice tecnigue, your voice tone itself and mixing/tuning skills will and can compensate a LOT. these thing does NOT effect on VB quality but great artwork, visually nice design and regular posting/updating will have some impact too as well.Also remember that same mic does not work as well with everyone, so AT2020 can be great with xxxx type of voice but not as great with yyyy. So do your research what is best VB for YOUR voicetype that you can get with your budget.

I'm saying this because many newcomers tends to think that mic is everything but the truth is that it' should much more than that to create a great voicebank. I'm super lucky that my father has let me borrow his XRL dynamic Røde Procaster microphone I almost own it because he never use it it's impossible to me to have anything like that financially.

TBRH even tho I have great mic compared to what people averigally has in this community that hasn't make my UTAU more popular/know/better/whatever. Sure, my VB overall quality is better than in years 2013-2014 and much more usable but I have zero skills to sing & I'm more voice actor side, so my vocal range etc is super limited and my VB sounds more auto tuned talking than natural singing.

So my message is that sure mic effects a lot of things but as many other factors effect to quality too as well (mentioned in the second paragraph). What kind of voice type and voice timber is something that we selves can do really nothing about because we're born with it but things like vocal/singing technique and vocal range is something that everyone can improve by hard working, so don't give up, so your best, don't compare to others too much and most importantly have a fun with UTAU!