Critique Requested Kaiyo- Lost One's Weeping

PaulingClover

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
oof this one was a tough one to mix
Kaiyo belongs to me. If you want to use her, just ask for a download!
Ust by Pandalolii, edited by me!
I'd love to hear what you think about Kaiyo's voice!

Awaclus

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
The voice is pretty good, but the mix and the master need a little bit of work in my opinion.

First of all, I think you should be compressing the master a lot more. Right now, you're not hitting full volume during the parts that don't have vocals, which makes it sound weaker, which is not desirable in this kind of a rock mix. On the other hand, when the vocals and the instruments are playing at the same time, there's some non-subtle distortion going, which sounds a little unpleasant. By compressing or limiting the master harder, you can fix both of these problems.

Secondly, the tonal balance of the vocals is pretty midrange-heavy, which makes it kind of sound like it has a phone effect throughout the song. I would cut some 1.5k and possibly use some multiband compression to give it more presence in the high frequencies while keeping the sibilance under control. You could also liven up the vocal by giving it a subtle delay.

And lastly, the instrumental doesn't really have a sub bass instrument other than the kick drum, which makes the low end of the mix feel pretty weak. It's not your fault, but you could fix it anyway by adding in a synth bass one octave lower than the bass guitar and mixing it quiet enough that it doesn't draw any attention towards itself.

I think if you fix these things, you could actually get a pretty good sounding mix with that voice.