Just curious..

Dusky_y

Teto's Territory
Ok so, i know people usually start out with maybe VCV voicebanks in Japanese, but i really wanted to make a voicebank in English since it's my first language (and eventually Spanish).

Do you personally recommend starting out with a Japanese voice bank like CV/VCV or would you rather a newcomer jump into VCCV/CVVC?

AmberTonnerre

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I recommend starting out with a Japanese CV. In my personal experience i attempted to start out with an arpasing bank but without the base knowledge that using and making a CV gives you i didn't get very far. I'd start with the basics and work your way up!

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
0. Please put the topic of your post in the title so that people will understand what they're clicking on!
1. Even if you never have any intentions on releasing the voicebank, I concur with the previous posters that you should start with a simple Japanese CV bank just to understand the basic concepts behind how a voicebank is made. You'll be able to learn:
- How to set up a folder and make sure it's read by UTAU
- How to make character.txt and readme.txt
- Basics of configuring the OTO (editing the parameters, setting an alias)
- How to get sound from your voicebank
- Using your voicebank with pre-existing USTs

A lot of basic essential skills! An English voicebank introduces a lot of other concepts, so handling everything all at once may be difficult, even discouraging. UTAU is a very fun hobby, so I would encourage you to take it step by step in order to understand it more fully.

If you've already got a ton of experience with using existing voicebanks, you're absolutely free to just go ahead and make a complex voicebank. Chances are, at that point, you'll already be familiar with how those voicebanks are set up. Even as a total beginner it's massively helpful to have something finished as reference.

Reactions: AmberTonnerre

Dusky_y

Teto's Territory
As someone who started out with CVVC and VCCV, I really don't recommend it. Those methods are pretty complex and difficult to use when starting out.

If you want to make an English bank, I recommend using OcarinaLink's English/Japanese CV list. The program OREMO is recommended for recording and can also be used to generate a basic oto for you to work from

Gottcha, Thank you!! Ill check this out and learn here first.
[doublepost=1563725252][/doublepost]
0. Please put the topic of your post in the title so that people will understand what they're clicking on!
1. Even if you never have any intentions on releasing the voicebank, I concur with the previous posters that you should start with a simple Japanese CV bank just to understand the basic concepts behind how a voicebank is made. You'll be able to learn:
- How to set up a folder and make sure it's read by UTAU
- How to make character.txt and readme.txt
- Basics of configuring the OTO (editing the parameters, setting an alias)
- How to get sound from your voicebank
- Using your voicebank with pre-existing USTs

A lot of basic essential skills! An English voicebank introduces a lot of other concepts, so handling everything all at once may be difficult, even discouraging. UTAU is a very fun hobby, so I would encourage you to take it step by step in order to understand it more fully.

If you've already got a ton of experience with using existing voicebanks, you're absolutely free to just go ahead and make a complex voicebank. Chances are, at that point, you'll already be familiar with how those voicebanks are set up. Even as a total beginner it's massively helpful to have something finished as reference.

My bad, I'll be more specific with the title next time!
I didn't realize i would be missing out on all of that information. Thank you, i will learn the very basics first then move on to more complex things.
[doublepost=1563725549][/doublepost]
I recommend starting out with a Japanese CV. In my personal experience i attempted to start out with an arpasing bank but without the base knowledge that using and making a CV gives you i didn't get very far. I'd start with the basics and work your way up!

Noted!

Last edited:
Reactions: AmberTonnerre