JPN language input on Windows 8.1?

adriann

Ye Olde Fart
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Alright, so, first and foremost, sorry if a similar question has been asked before ! I've looked this up online everywhere for a while and haven't been able to find results...

I'm having that issue that overseas users had way back when that could be fixed with AppLocale, you know, the bad file name, and inability to input the Japanese language into the program. I can type into a txt file in Japanese (Microsoft IME) just fine, it's that, when I download stuff with Japanese/kana file names, stuff freaks out and makes it all gibberish, same for txt files (shoddy encoding, perhaps? But still...?). The same thing happens when I try inputting Japanese text into UTAU itself, it turns into gibberish. I've fixed this problem before on previous versions of Windows with ease, but I completely forgot how I did it and why what I did worked... AppLocale has stopped being supported for a million years now and isn't recognized on Windows 8.1.

It'd be insanely appreciated if anyone's got a solution!

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
You need to change your System Locale. Even if AppLocale could be used, it doesn't entirely replace having your locale changed (you won't be able to use UTAU banks made in Japan for instance unless they were encoded in romaji (which is unlikely).

install_1.png

install_2.png

Assuming you've already installed UTAU: uninstall it, delete that installer, and download a fresh one. The old installer is likely corrupted and may still be in mojibake when you restart and install again.

I would also do this after installing the new UTAU (mind you, I'm copy-pasting from a tutorial I've written elsewhere):
For Windows 7 (and esp. 8/8.1/10) users, right click the UTAU folder, go to Properties, and go to the Security tab. You should see Users and your account name in parenthesis. Press the Edit button and give Users Full control. This will prevent future headaches such as being unable to save an edited oto.ini, etc. (otherwise, you will be required to open UTAU as administrator).

Reactions: adriann

adriann

Ye Olde Fart
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Ah sweet sweet sweet! Windows 8's layout of everything threw me off good. Thank you for the prompt response. :smile:

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Ah sweet sweet sweet! Windows 8's layout of everything threw me off good. Thank you for the prompt response. :smile:
No problem :smile:. Windows 8/8.1 can certainly be a hurdle (though not impossible) if you're used to XP/Vista/7. You should be able to update to Windows 10 (for free) in July when it's out, so I definitely recommend looking out for that.

Here's what the default start menu will be like for 10:

win10.png