Is it possible to run UTAU from a USB flashdrive?

GeneralNuisance

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
My computer just doesn't have much room. I installed UTAU on my laptop (which runs Windows 10), and while I've gotten it to run just fine, I'm concerned about it taking up too much space. I'm wondering if moving its folder in Program Files (x86) to a USB stick (as well as any USTs, VBs, etc) would work. I just want to know if it would run, so long as it's plugged into a computer with Japanese locale. I do know that moving the UTAU folder outside of the Program Files (x86) folder also fixes some issues with file permissions, so I can romanize the names of my VBs. So, do you guys think it'd work?

I'm moving it to a stick with 32GB of space, so there'll be plenty of space for UTAU to do its thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_B

Axiomatic-Vertex

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
It won't work bro

I actually just tried this myself - copied the contents of my UTAU folder onto a USB drive, stuck it into another PC and immediately got an error message saying that I was missing a component, however running the same UTAU executable from the USB drive on my PC, which already has UTAU installed, ran as if it ran the copy of UTAU already on my PC. (you gettin me man?)

This article explains everything I think
https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/89135-installing-programs-flash-drive-advice.html

How much space does your laptop have? As far as space is concerned, as long as you don't install like 200 voicebanks, you should be okay, but I could be underestimating your problem there so

I should also add, if UTAU had a portable version, it would run perfectly from a USB drive as the portable version is designed to run from anywhere, it contains all the files it needs to run, no installing required
But I don't think UTAU does have a portable version, so you're kinda at a loss man

Get a bigger hard drive for your laptop, maybe, hard drive storage is really cheap
Or maybe get a bigger SSD, I realise that most laptops today come with SSDs, 2.5'' HDDs aren't as common now I don't think, could be wrong

Last edited:

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The UTAU program itself doesn't take up much space. Voicebanks do. Feel free to keep UTAU installed on your computer in the Documents folder, and move all of your voicebanks somewhere else. You can remap the default voicebank folder in UTAU by going to Tools > Option > Path > Change voice root directory.

Reactions: Axiomatic-Vertex

HanatheNeko

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
It only doesn't work if you just move the folder itself, you have to specifically install UTAU on the external drive, i tried copying and pasting UTAU onto my External Hard Drive and Delete the folder on the C: drive and It wouldn't load any of the UST icons. so it is recommended to just install the program on the external drive itself.

Reactions: Axiomatic-Vertex