Resource icon

Tutorial How To: Record Korean Voice Libraries

N.Zo

Nico Nico Need's A Nap
Defender of Defoko
N.Zo submitted a new resource:

How To: Record Korean Voice Libraries - Want to record a korean UTAU? Here are some resources to get you started!

Have you wanted to record a Korean voicebank for your UTAU but couldn't find a reclist? Or maybe you found a reclist but you weren't sure how to record the consonants and vowels. Well, this resource will compile most resources needed to record a fully functional Korean voicebank!

RECORDING AND OTOING
OTOing Korean (especially VCV) can be daunting, but most recording lists have a base oto. To help with the Recording and OTOing process, I suggest you download Oremo and SetParam...

Read more about this resource...

Sors

Local Guppie & UTAU Korean Advocate
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Hi!
I really like this resource, but pronounciation isn't all that correct.

u (우) is not the same as う, its actually more close to a spanish rounded u.

eo (어) is not necessarily VCCV 9, its kinda between 9 and u. In Sampa: Between O and V, but its closer to V.

You're also missing eu (으), which is an unrounded u, kinda an u while making the mouth shape for 'i'.

Also the double consonants arent really just unaspirated, but also tense. There is more silence between them.

H (ㅎ) also changes pronounciation depending on vowel. Befote i or y, its hy, like japanese ひ, before u or w, its hw, like japanese ふ and before eu its like hy, but further back in the throat.

I'd also suggest linking some Hangul learning site because in order to accurately use korean in UTAU, one should know hangul. Because romanized lyrics are often not accurate and dont take sound changes into account. I recommend http://www.koreanwikiproject.com/wiki/Learn_Hangeul to learn it as its important, especially when vowels clash. Like the word maeumul 마음울, with hangul you know its ma-eu-mul, but without it you dont know if its ma-eu or mae-u. Important to note is also that even though -w combinations like nwa (놔) exist, the w is barely pronounced. And also that -w also causes s to become sh, not only i and y.

Other than those this is actually a very good help! Its especially good to mention the g, d, j and b rule with beginning and middle sounds and also aspiration!