Resource icon

Resource How to record a Chinese Voicebank

LunaAkimine

Teto's Territory
LunaAkimine submitted a new resource:

How to record a Chinese Voicebank - How to record a Chinese Voicebank

Who in the right mind would record a chinese VB now :D
basically the reclist is just a full list of chinese pin yin

the full reclist contains the 4 different sounds (which i am lazy to do) for every sound. so if there are 100 sounds in the lite list, you record 400 sounds in total [1 x 4 = 4 sounds each]:

a1 = ā (a straight line on top of the vowel) = you read it with a higher pitch
a2 = á (a / on top of the vowel) = you read it with an increasing pitch.
a3 = ă (a v on top of the vowel)...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:

tady159

Ruko's Ruffians
As far as I know, tones in sung Chinese are completely overlooked (that is probably why EVERY Chinese music videoclip comes with subtitles).

And... all CV Chinese I saw wouldn't work well, specially the notes ending with "n" and "ng" and any other ending. Because they will need to be kinda short, and there are two problems on this: They will sound very mettalic because UTAU doesn't handle very well short samples when stretching, and if a note is shorter than the sample, the ending will be cut-off, so, for example, if it was supposed to sing "ang", it would sing "a" only. Other problem also is that the transition between the vowel and the ending would be stretched, and this is also not desired.
Chinese would only work if there were separated aliases for the first part of a syllable, and for the transition to the finals.

(CVVC Chinese would work very well, but the notation would get tricky, cause there are some vowels that are written some way in pin yin that only happen in special cases, example: ian; it is different from i+an, or ia+n)

Austria

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
That's how I would record a Chinese Voicebank for Soshiki.
The main problem is that if I want to do it realistically (4 inflictions for each),  I would have to record 1600+ sounds
o^o
And that would be a real time taker.
But at least I can finally impress my mom.
But she probably won't be impressed that the UTAU can speak chinese better than I can lD

LunaAkimine

Teto's Territory
@tady: thats why i said, i', not sure if there will be any different.. -A- oh. i didn't. i wrote it on my deviantart journal so i guess i missed it out. anyway, did you check the oto ini of the chinese voicebanks? :/ sometimes its the oto ini

@aster: i haven't tested it.

@叶心怡
theres always vcv.

Prince Syo

Momo's Minion
Lol why would you need to record tones for an UTAU.

Different tones means different pitch.

It is impossible to sing with tones.

When you sing 大 and 達 sound exactly the same.
Or atleast when you're singing and you sound good.

tady159

Ruko's Ruffians
@Lyrie All of them were recorded with all Chinese syllables, but configured as CV. CV configuration only works for syllables with composition like CV and CCV. But Chinese has syllabic composition as complex as CVVC, and a simple CV oto.ini will not work with this structure.

Prince Syo

Momo's Minion
Usually the first V in Chinese CVVC is pronounced as a glide

"liang" = /liAN/ -> /ljAN/
"luan" = /luan/ -> /lwan/
"juan" = /ts\yEn/ -> /ts\HEn/

So a format similar to Korean could work, the only problem is input into the program since the vowel writing in pinyin can be a mess, like the letters E and A having three different pronunciations, and I O U having two each

aquatius

Momo's Minion
I've been mulling over how to do VCV Chinese recently. As people have mentioned above, it's very difficult because of the different sounds under each spelling in Pinyin. What I'm thinking of doing is taking the chart of all possible syllables in Pinyin, converting it to IPA and then figuring out a reclist from there. It would be quite clunky compared to Japanese VCV, mind.

tady159

Ruko's Ruffians
aquatius link said:
I've been mulling over how to do VCV Chinese recently. As people have mentioned above, it's very difficult because of the different sounds under each spelling in Pinyin. What I'm thinking of doing is taking the chart of all possible syllables in Pinyin, converting it to IPA and then figuring out a reclist from there. It would be quite clunky compared to Japanese VCV, mind.

If yo uwant to encode Chinese in IPA, I believe that X-SAMPA would be a quite easy solution to use on UTAU, just the files name would get slightly tricky, cause file names aren't case sensitive, and also don't accept some symbols, for example "\", whic is used on X-SAMPA. But UTAU accepts all x-sampa symbols (except "?" and isolated "R" and "r")

aquatius

Momo's Minion
tady159 link said:
[quote author=aquatius link=topic=300.msg1537#msg1537 date=1328470343]

If yo uwant to encode Chinese in IPA, I believe that X-SAMPA would be a quite easy solution to use on UTAU, just the files name would get slightly tricky, cause file names aren't case sensitive, and also don't accept some symbols, for example "\", whic is used on X-SAMPA. But UTAU accepts all x-sampa symbols (except "?" and isolated "R" and "r")
[/quote]
Well, I was hoping to be able to make the actual encoding Pinyin or at least quasi-Pinyin, but it might have to be x-sampa.

thibaud76200

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Thank you so much for the reclist ! I think I'll do a chinese voicebank for Tibo... I'll start with a Lite version.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
no thibaud save yourself and use xing huajian as a base

It's a cvvc Chinese from a modified syo reclist and its

It's cvvc ok