How to now have really harsh S's?

Lycandeer

Teto's Territory
Alright, so, I made my first VB. I got it OTO'd by someone (might get that re-done) and I've gotten 3 songs so far. One crappy duet by myself, and two covers I paid someone to make using my voice bank. BUT, the S pronunciations are really sharp.. I'm considering re-recording all the S CV things.. Can I get some feedback? Is it too sharp and horrible, or is it okay to leave alone?
Here are the two covers I paid for, which show the sharpness pretty well: https://orig00.deviantart.net/208e/..._carzhol___bacterial_by_sabishi_i-dcw0qr7.mp3

https://orig00.deviantart.net/1cfc/...zhol___hide_and_seek_by_sabishi_i-dcw0qpl.mp3

any tips are appreciated!!

Lycandeer

Teto's Territory
The 's' samples don't sound like they've been otoed right. Did you commission someone to oto the bank or did you oto it yourself?
I commissioned them to do it >-<
[doublepost=1546497462][/doublepost]I don't think it has anything to do with the oto... but then again i don't really know how otoing works. in my samples, i go SSSS pretty hard xDD
[doublepost=1546497509][/doublepost]but its unintentional :s

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
In the process of mixing the vocals for an individual song, you may want to use de-essing. There are dedicated plugins for this process, but you can also simply use a multiband compressor. There should be free VST plugins both for de-essing specifically and for multiband compression more generally. Many DAWs come with a multiband compressor by default (for example, FL studio has Maximus). To use a multiband compressor for de-essing, set a band to only affect high frequencies. If you solo a particular band, you will be able to hear only the frequencies inside the band. Make sure that you are mainly hearing the loud hissing noises and not the rest of the vocals. Once you have the correct frequencies, un-solo that band so that all frequencies will come through again. Then, set the compressor to have a low threshold and high ratio. This means that whenever high frequencies are quiet, they will stay the same volume, but whenever they're too loud, they'll be lowered.
If this is a consistent problem across every single time you use this voicebank, you can edit the original voicebank files directly. Make sure to create a backup of the voicebank first, just in case the result doesn't turn out exactly the way you want.

Reactions: Lycandeer