How to make "shouts" with a voicebank?

WyndReed

Dareka tasukete!
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
So the song I'm covering now has these parts in the background that are like shouting or talking with emphasis and I'm not sure how to replicate it with utau, or if it is even possible to replicate it, with a normal singing type voicebank. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone successfully accomplished anything similar themselves?

Sors

Local Guppie & UTAU Korean Advocate
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
I don't think its really possible with normal type voicebanks. You will need a power type voicebank and high notes for shouting, maybe Moresamplers Mt flag can help as the tenseness is known to give power sometimes.

lunari162

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I tried imitating shouting with a normal-type VB once... and it didn't go well at all. I ended up using a different UTAU with a powerful tone (Rinne Yui in that case) and had her do that part instead. Hopefully you'll have better luck, though.
Depending on the song and UTAU you're using, you could probably get away with having another UTAU do the shouting/talking, especially if it's in the background. Alternatively, if the UTAU you're using sounds good with Moresampler, try the Mt flag like Sors said. The Mo one might also work, but it depends. And if they already have a power VB, just use that and ignore everything else I wrote ^^;

Reactions: WyndReed

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
What the previous two posters have failed to mention (despite being tutors...?) is that a speaking/shouting tone of voice relies heavily on pitch variation. For reference you may want to record yourself speaking those parts of the song so that you can easily check how the pitch changes, or even open it in a pitch analysis viewer (like vocalshifter or any other pitch correction software with a visualizer). Then you can replicate it in UTAU.
If the lines are rhythmical and match to the beat of the song, you're in luck because you won't have to worry about the timing as much. (With hanasu/talkloid skits, the timing is another major factor in getting the right intonation, and it's tricky because UTAU works on musical timing.)

For a single shout try a descending bend like this:
upload_2018-8-25_21-45-37.png

For a longer spoken phrase, it depends on the language, but for English I would recommend having stressed syllables with higher pitch than other syllables. In general you would want the pitchbends to sort of slur through all the notes as a continuous change, rather than having the notes at a particular pitch.
Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 9.49.49 PM.png

And keep in mind that singing tends to use a higher range than the same voice speaking! So make sure that you have your speaking parts at a lower range- a common issue in talkloids is when they speak in a really high voice, since that's the range they use for singing.

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
@Kiyoteru just about covered it, yeah. When it comes to intensity you could also try employing some flags, some consontant velocity, and effects, but the pitch tuning is really important; if it doesn't sound right there, theres no way to cover it up with a fancy VB or FX. If you can, maybe try grabbing a free pitch monitoring program and record yourself barking into it (if you have a good mic), and see how the pitch/frequency of your own shouts look. It should give you an idea of what your end result could look like.

EDIT: KIYOTERU.... ALREADY COVERED THIS IM LITERALLY A FOOL thank you for your service OTL

lunari162

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
What the previous two posters have failed to mention (despite being tutors...?)
Ah, sorry about that! I'm having a bit of an off-day today and forgot to mention pitchbends (especially the descending ones you mentioned) ^^; Thank you for bringing it up; that's definitely an important part of replicating shouts.

WyndReed

Dareka tasukete!
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Thanks for the help guys! I was actually able to get a pretty good result using the pitch bend tips that were mentioned and some envelope editing.
shout capture.PNG

Ndō

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
So the song I'm covering now has these parts in the background that are like shouting or talking with emphasis and I'm not sure how to replicate it with utau, or if it is even possible to replicate it, with a normal singing type voicebank. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone successfully accomplished anything similar themselves?
i honestly dont know if it would work with the voicebank ur gonna use but for my voicebank, which is a normal voicebank, i used resampler with C100Y100L5 when i needed her to do shouting parts

Reactions: WyndReed