How do you make a UST?

Nikiten

Momo's Minion
Because there is this song I'm pretty much obsessed with and want to make, since I have no utau of my own and I dislike hearing myself sing.

Now the problem is I can't find a midi of that song, and I can't afford to buy the sheet music online. I'm not good enough to hear what notes are being sung and approximate that into utau. So is there a way I can see the pitches of a song or a recording? A software of some kind? That would be a great help. Thank you!

PandaLolii

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
"I have not utau of my own" lol You don't require your own UTAU to make a ust. XD

Unfortunately, there's no "easy way out." Not that I know of..I make things by use of ear.
That said, don't be discouraged by thinking you can't hear the notes well. There's no harm in giving it a shot yourself. Trying making tracks, rendering and see if they line up well with the original? It's slow..but if you have troubles hearing, it'll benefit.

You could also try making your own midi first..but you said had trouble anyway.
Last thing you could do ( that I can think of ) is simply request the ust? XD What's the song anyway? It might be that it's hidden or on Nico even. o 3 o

nightfrog9

Teto's Territory
you say you have troubles sounding it all out? 
Download a midi :D there amazing you can see how the entire song is composed and all ([sub]tell me what the song that your looking for is  and ill see if i can find one for you~:[/sub])

If you cant find a midi/sheet music or anything doing it by ear works
(BUT you HaVVEE to know bpm (or just guesstimate) (((beats per minet like 60 or 120 ))) and its really good to know time signature like 6/8 4/4 3/4 C and Cut times ((freaking hate 6/8)))
also music theroy is like amazing when it comes to sounding things out because if you know the scales you only have 8 notes to pretty much pick from in any song to do any ting with :D

((if you do not play any instrament this dose not applie to you ;P))

How much musicy exsperiance do you have ((like are in in band or chorus or orchestra?[sub]if so what do you play and what key is it in? ((Bb C G ect...[/sub] )) (if you sound it out by ear and you play in anything other than concert pitch youll mess it up in utau cuz its in concert pitch

For like examples i play trumpet in Bb, harmoica in C , Bb , and Eb, and Piano, and acustic guitar on teh side.

holy cow i typed up a long responce D: xDDD lol

Nikiten

Momo's Minion
Well it's not a japanese song. It's "power of two" by the Indigo Girls, I think. I've tried looking for midis, but no luck. OTL

BPM, time signatures? Guh. ; A ;

nightfrog9

Teto's Territory

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
May I bring to everyone's attention, the MixMeister BPM Analyser~
http://www.mixmeister.com/bpmanalyzer/bpmanalyzer.asp

It's a very, very handy program for us UTAU users. If you make a folder for all the songs you want to find the BPM for, then you can open it in this and find all of their BPMs. Then, in UTAU when you start a new progect to make a UST, up top you can enter the right BPM immediatly. (Note that you can double/half the BPM and it's the same rate. I've doubled BPM quite often to make it easier to work with. Like, under 100 is hard unles it's a slow song, and if it's above 200 you can halve it unless it's a really fast song.) Only annoying thing is that it will always give you a pop-up message every time you close it, like when you open REAPER, but it's a free program.

I personally do all my USTs by hand and by ear. MIDIs have only been problems for me. Like Panda said, it takes forever and you need to constantly be rendering and checking your work alongside the original, but it gets the UST done.

Though you're doing an English song, which has a million problems of it's own, regarding phonetics and spacing them. I really, really don't recommend and english song for your first unless you're using an english bank like Aiko or Tony. You don't have to, but I'd recommend a Japanese song first so you can get a hang of making USTs, realizing how you space and time in UTAU, and more.

PandaLolii

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Ohh, we're adding BPM talk too now. * v * I personally use this : http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm but you have to have a good sense of rhythm. But regardless, having a tool is much safer than guessing the tempo. Even setting up a regular metronome and keep changing the settings until it matches could do it. Just donnnn't guess.

Well hmm.. It's an english song, but actually if you just make it as if it was a midi such as setting all the notes to "ra" just to render and match, you could probably still do it with that slow method I mentioned. XD Then after retype in the correct lyrics with Engrish or what Shinami said, use an english bank. Only if you're this persistent on making the ust for it. :'D

Alssso, if we're giving tips here, like Shinamibby EVE, I too just do it by hand and ear. That said, I would say that humming the tune first then trying to apply it to UTAU helps. LOL IDK. Maybe this is just me..I'm not all too methodical when it comes to making usts.

Nikiten

Momo's Minion
I have that! The BPM analyzer, I mean. OTL I used it when I was once obsessed with trying to make stepmania files lol

I dl'ed the guitar tabs. * w * I love listening to it over and over X3

I'll go try the lalala owo