Hiragana renders incorrectly

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I am trying to install UTAU on a new computer and I have continually run into problems with rendering Japanese characters. My locale is set to Japan (yes I'm sure) and Japanese characters work fine in other programs (although I don't have any non-unicode programs to try it in), but when I try to type in hiragana for the lyrics of a UST, they render incorrectly and a lot of times don't show up at all.

Does anyone know a fix to this problem? I have reinstalled, restarted my computer, etc. many times.

Examples:
upload_2019-9-23_0-51-26.png
あ renders like this. If I try to paste that text, it comes up as "ã"

If I try to type a character, it shows up as a blank note. Other areas also render incorrectly but it's not consistent.

upload_2019-9-23_0-54-56.png
This is broken.

upload_2019-9-23_0-55-6.png
This is fine.

If I force the language to japanese in the options page, it renders entirely as mojibake.

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Additions:
  • The notes with the mojibake don't render
  • If I copy-paste the correct hiragana into a note, it will not show up after I hit enter. It just displays as a blank note, and then when I click it again to edit it shows like this:
upload_2019-9-23_0-59-38.png

atomicreih

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Some questions to help me figure out what is going on:
  1. Where you using mac or windows in your old computer?
  2. Which version of mac/win did you use in your old computer and what version did you switch to for this new computer?
  3. Does this happen only with USTs you made in the previous computer or does this happen even to ones you just downloaded?
  4. Does this happen when you create notes from scratch or only in USTs you've loaded from your previous computer?
I'm not to keen on compatibility issues between UTAU-Synth (mac) and UTAU (windows), but I know there's different types of USTs (1.2 etc.), so it could be one of those. Other than that I really have no idea

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Some questions to help me figure out what is going on:
  1. Where you using mac or windows in your old computer?
  2. Which version of mac/win did you use in your old computer and what version did you switch to for this new computer?
  3. Does this happen only with USTs you made in the previous computer or does this happen even to ones you just downloaded?
  4. Does this happen when you create notes from scratch or only in USTs you've loaded from your previous computer?
I'm not to keen on compatibility issues between UTAU-Synth (mac) and UTAU (windows), but I know there's different types of USTs (1.2 etc.), so it could be one of those. Other than that I really have no idea

OK, so, first off, I semi-fixed the problem, in case anyone googles this thread up later: I just installed this tool http://pooi.moe/Locale-Emulator/ and use it to run UTAU and it works just dandy. I'll answer your questions anyways for the sake of providing more info (as I said I only semi fixed it LOL):

1. Windows
  2. 7 on my old one, 10 on this one
  3. Not sure! My old computer is at my parent's house, so I've only tried with ones I just downloaded
  4. Happens with new notes and old USTs :sad:

New problem: I can download files with Japanese names just fine. HOWEVER, if they're .zip files, the files inside the .zip load as mojibake and can't be opened because they're completely corrupted.

upload_2019-9-23_1-20-51.png
The .zip files

upload_2019-9-23_1-21-12.png
The folder inside. The files inside this folder are the same way.

It's really strange because .zip files that don't have any Japanese characters in any of the internal UST files work perfectly fine. However, these are corrupted and can't be opened even if I change the filename. Also, I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect this will make downloading voicebanks effectively impossible.

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Finally fixed the issue! In the end, it was a locale issue:
upload_2019-9-30_0-24-35.png
The issue was that this square was checked which caused everything to be broken! Make sure this square is unchecked lol.

Reactions: atomicreih