Hi there from the UK

Mooncat

Teto's Territory
Hi. I'm from the UK. My daughter introduced me to the concept of Vocaloids and got me into various Vocaloid artists. I've seen Hatsune Miku a few times in London and my favourite song is サイコグラム by DECO*27. I've been to Tokyo many times and love it, especially the Sega Stations.

I'm a musician and would love to have a go at doing my own Vocaloid stuff but, quite frankly, it's stupidly expensive. I've had a go with UTAU and found it really hard work, especially for English computer installations. Hats off to anyone that produces work from it.

There's a project called OpenUTAU (https://github.com/stakira/OpenUtau) that looks interesting, but I can't get it to work on my computer. As luck would have it, I'm also a software developer, so I could probably fix it. The author, Sugita Akira, has done a great job getting the project where it is, but the bugs hide the fact there's a lot of really good stuff there.

There's a great opportunity there to add all of the missing functionality missing from UTAU and make it easier to install on non-Japanese machines. This is probably a better platform on which to build new features. More importantly, the source code is freely available so that it won't be lost and other people can add to it. It's Windows only, but I imagine the limiting factor is the resamplers, which as (as far as I can tell) Windows native code.

I'd be keen to hear other people's opinions on OpenUTAU and whether it's worth investing considerable time in the project.

Cheers

Reactions: Big_B and Aeroza