Help with pricing arts?

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
since i didn't think this really went under the 2 art forums, and it's a question, i posted here ;x;
I'm starting RL commissions to help save up for my cosplay and other things, but i need help pricing ;x;
I don't expect anything high. at all. but please be honest . thank you ><

i think it'll just be chibi freebies for now, so here is my chibi sample:
kenage_kaisho_chibi_by_snow_songstress-d4vduo9.jpg

Hare

Teto's Territory
Well, you could think about the time involved. You can't take on too much work at once, but if you are only doing a couple of commissions at a time, you'd still like to make enough for it to be worth it, right?
How long did that chibi (so cute btw :3) take you to make? You could start there and use it as a sort of bench-marker to set other prices for full-body etc if you plan to do those as well.
Look at what other people similar to you are charging. People who like your style are more likely to commission you, but other people may be looking for whoever is cheapest :sad: You need to remain competitive, but like I said earlier, it still needs to be worth it.
Also, starting with freebies is a good idea to test the water. If you've made something for someone for free, ask them how much they would be willing pay for it to give you a rough idea of the top and bottom end of what you could charge.
Also, step back and think, if someone else had made that chibi for me, what would I pay?

I hope this helps >.< And good luck with your commissions!

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
zafJ~ link said:
Well, you could think about the time involved. You can't take on too much work at once, but if you are only doing a couple of commissions at a time, you'd still like to make enough for it to be worth it, right?
How long did that chibi (so cute btw :3) take you to make? You could start there and use it as a sort of bench-marker to set other prices for full-body etc if you plan to do those as well.
Look at what other people similar to you are charging. People who like your style are more likely to commission you, but other people may be looking for whoever is cheapest :sad: You need to remain competitive, but like I said earlier, it still needs to be worth it.
Also, starting with freebies is a good idea to test the water. If you've made something for someone for free, ask them how much they would be willing pay for it to give you a rough idea of the top and bottom end of what you could charge.
Also, step back and think, if someone else had made that chibi for me, what would I pay?

I hope this helps >.< And good luck with your commissions!
thanks so much :3 It took me maybe 3 hours overall in traditional sketch and then making digital~ (and thank you!) i'll start looking at other commission prices :3 And i actually DID do a freebie thread not too long ago, and it got quite a few people. i think 3-5 pages?