First time using UTAU, help!

5p1k3

Momo's Minion
Hi! I'm 5p1k3, and this is my first time using UTAU. I'm using Windows 10. I've added the Japanese language through settings. When I try to type kana into the lyrics box and insert them into notes, they become question marks immediately, and this doesn't happen in any other program. I can type roman characters in just fine, but of course, the Japanese UTAUs don't read it. I have tried this with system locale set to both English and Japanese. Help! What am I doing wrong?

please be gentle

partial

UTAU English advocate
Retired User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Of course we'll 'be gentle' haha! The last thing we want is to scare away new members of the community. Welcome to UtaForum, and welcome to the wonderful world of UTAU! Haha.

First and foremost, I have some questions.
1.) What is your locale set to right now?
If it's not set to Japanese, set it back to Japanese. Changing the language of your computer isn't important, just the locale, so you can still have your OS in English and all that.

After you've set your locale to Japanese, you're going to have to delete your UTAU installation, the installer for it, and whatever voicebank you may have downloaded. Redownload the UTAU installer and voicebank again. The reason for this is if you download UTAU or a Japanese UTAU with an English locale, the files become corrupt and will not work properly even if you change the locale to Japanese afterwards. Start fresh.

2.) What voicebank are you trying to use? If it's a voicebank you downloaded (a voicebank other than UTAU's default voice), please share a link to it.

Reactions: Kiyoteru and 5p1k3

5p1k3

Momo's Minion
Whaaat? Already a reply? I get the feeling I'm going to like this community~

Perfect! It worked! Thank you sooo much! :D I made my first C Major scale! Lol~

TBH I have exactly zero idea what I'm doing because I've just recently made the switch to Windows 10. When I first started this whole process and restarted my computer, I'd mistakenly changed the language to Japanese instead of the locale. Needless to say, I panicked. Luckily after a few guess clicks resulting in me deleting and readding English and restarting again, it worked fine.

I think I know what I'm doing now! Thanks again, and have a wonderful day! :D

Reactions: partial

partial

UTAU English advocate
Retired User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Whaaat? Already a reply? I get the feeling I'm going to like this community~

Perfect! It worked! Thank you sooo much! :D I made my first C Major scale! Lol~

TBH I have exactly zero idea what I'm doing because I've just recently made the switch to Windows 10. When I first started this whole process and restarted my computer, I'd mistakenly changed the language to Japanese instead of the locale. Needless to say, I panicked. Luckily after a few guess clicks resulting in me deleting and readding English and restarting again, it worked fine.

I think I know what I'm doing now! Thanks again, and have a wonderful day! :D
I'm so glad you've got it working now! Feel free to ask the community here if you ever run into any problems in the future. Once again, welcome to UtaForum and I hope you have a wonderful day too!