Equalization for Morons (Audacity)

Tutorial Equalization for Morons (Audacity)

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
luiysia submitted a new resource:

Equalization for Morons (Audacity) - Also for people who don't want to watch videos

I really hate watching videos to learn things so here's a dead-simple guide to some stuff you can do in the equalization screen, plus a couple other tips. Please fight me if this doesn't work for you.

If you don't know what it is: you use equalization to make sounds at certain frequencies louder or softer.

The human voice is basically a combination of sound at 2 frequency ranges, plus breathy sounds. You can also affect consonants with equalization. The exact ranges vary depending on the...

Read more about this resource...

Reactions: Skiyoshi 十三

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
luiysia updated Equalization for Morons (Audacity) with a new update entry:

More on "breathiness," and, some useful plugins

1. Lightly boosting the 10kHz+ range - around 1-2 decibels - can add what the pros call "gloss" to a vocal. It's a really subtle effect but it really makes vocals sparkle!
  2. This set of plugins can be very useful. However, make sure to save before using them because I've found that they sometimes crash. I'll explain them below but read the manual that comes with them for more detailed explanations....

Read the rest of this update entry...

Reactions: sailor _ravioli

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
luiysia updated Equalization for Morons (Audacity) with a new update entry:

Article & "subtractive EQ"

Found this article. Good explanation of the importance of reverb, EQ, and compression, the resources linked from it are OK too. It mentions "subtractive EQ" which I didn't know much about when writing this resource.

Basically, if you don't wanna read the article, subtractive EQ is a technique where you only reduce frequencies rather than increase them. It gives somewhat of a better sound than boosting them since the...

Read the rest of this update entry...