English pronunciation critique?

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I'm working on this cover of "love story" by taylor swift and I was hoping someone could give me some critique before I go on?

also, I have some specific questions:
  • is there a good way to get the "st" sound (used a lot in this song!), or any other compound consonant sounds?
  • is there a good way to get the "th" sound? maybe some way to add it in post..?
  • to people who use hanae karin, how can I make the "ri" in "prince" and "princess" sound less obnoxious? it's a "u れ" sound
thanks so much!

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm guessing this bank is vcv? I don't work in that bank format often (nor do I have the bank in question), but hopefully I'm of some help: Just apply the following in vcv...

- St: A short su followed by whatever t phoneme you need. depending on how much overlap is applied to - す, you could probably get away with the lowest possible length of 15. with a sound that short, you shouldn't have to do any envelope edits.
- Th: I find that the z phonemes make a good 'th' replacement. If you need it at the end of a word, then make it a short 'zu' and edit the envelope with Ctrl+Y like so:

upload_2015-8-17_1-30-28.png

- short I: considering the nature of the bank (Japanese), you're not going to get a short 'ih' sound out of it, but from what I heard concerning that particular part, it doesn't kill the words.

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I'm guessing this bank is vcv? I don't work in that bank format often (nor do I have the bank in question), but hopefully I'm of some help: Just apply the following in vcv...

- St: A short su followed by whatever t phoneme you need. depending on how much overlap is applied to - す, you could probably get away with the lowest possible length of 15. with a sound that short, you shouldn't have to do any envelope edits.
- Th: I find that the z phonemes make a good 'th' replacement. If you need it at the end of a word, then make it a short 'zu' and edit the envelope with Ctrl+Y like so:

[snip]

- short I: considering the nature of the bank (Japanese), you're not going to get a short 'ih' sound out of it, but from what I heard concerning that particular part, it doesn't kill the words.
- st: oh, I didn't know the minimum was 15, lol. usually I do 20-40 :P ok, I'll try that out!
- th: I've been doing that; I was hoping there was maybe something I could do with the equalization to fake a th sound or something, since I know fricatives have certain frequencies you can boost to make them clearer... that'd be a huge pain but I've got time
- actually, that's not what I was talking about. for this voicebank the G4 pitches are really shouty (maybe to use as a kire vb?? i'm not really sure), so it sounds really out of place. I figured out how to get around that tho so I guess it's ok.